Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Any solicitors – Employment Law

2»

Comments

• Options
    Just because it's in the contract may not make it right....

http://www.darlingtons.com/blog/do-employers-have-rights-to-search-employees/
  • Options
    I'm sure they search employees at the Royal Mint?
  • Options
    I've spoke to him and they have breached 5/6 of them things stated Len, personally gone through his pockets, searched in front of customers, different gender, not all employees are searched, not all people who search are not managers, siblings not being searched.
    Its not right I'm sure.
  • Options
    They even search him in and out on 1/2hr break.
    Poor sod can't get a sandwich without being search or pockets turned out.
  • Options
    Gammysnr said:

They certainly used to at The Bank of England Printing Works but only on a random basis - not everyone every day! Mind you the printers and checkers were under constant watch from security. (Outsourced to De La Rue about 10 years ago.)
  • Options
    Bag searches were routine when I worked for Ford.
    I never got a routine search once in 15 years but others did
  • Options
    Sounds like JD Sports??? My son used to have this at the Bluewater shop.
  • Options

Sounds like JD Sports??? My son used to have this at the Bluewater shop.

I think its SportsDirect. One of the problems is that these stores pay the staff minimum wage on zero hours contracts, so the temptation for the less honest staff members is to obtain some desirable merchandise - at least that is how the store sees it. Hence they are probably more rigorous with their stop and search policies than say M&S and they cannot discern between honest and dishonest staff. Equally the people that are doing the searches are on low wages and probably have low motivation and therefore are not bothered about showing respect to the people they have to search.

Where he probably has stronger grounds to complain is the "confronting" a possible shop lifter, if it is not part of his job and he has not been trained to do it. However, you need to be careful just because it is not written into his contract, if this is something staff members routinely do then it may be seen as part of his job, most job descriptions have a clause that goes something like "And any other duties required.". To be honest there are no real employment grounds on which he would be able to do anything and he will also need a reference when he leaves. What he needs to do is work his bollocks off to find another job and now is a good time to get into companies (or even the post office) for christmas work.
  • Options

There's the old story of a number of Leyland workers putting together their own Marinas and Allegros from the parts bins going walkies - though how you get a whole body shell out escapes me.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    cafcfan said:

Gammysnr said:

They certainly used to at The Bank of England Printing Works but only on a random basis - not everyone every day! Mind you the printers and checkers were under constant watch from security. (Outsourced to De La Rue about 10 years ago.)
    Forgot to say the BoE were very keen to make sure you left the gold vaults empty-handed too! Apparently the old dear in the photo slipped a 27 pounds bar in her handbag and tried to get it out unnoticed. Worth around £400k: who could blame her for trying....

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Addickted said:

There's the old story of a number of Leyland workers putting together their own Marinas and Allegros from the parts bins going walkies - though how you get a whole body shell out escapes me.
    That's an urban myth based on an old Johnny Cash number - 'One Piece At A Time'. I think it was written by Shel Silverstein.

Edit - actually it was Wayne Kemp who wrote it.
  • Options

Addickted said:

That's an urban myth based on an old Johnny Cash number - 'One Piece At A Time'. I think it was written by Shel Silverstein.

Edit - actually it was Wayne Kemp who wrote it.
    Indeed, you can find Johnny singing it here....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2riRAGzNzvQ

...legend!
  • Options
    Addickted said:

I remember a few idiots getting the sack for have Sierra face lift parts on their cars. The car hadn't even been launched.
  • Options
    Thought it might have been.

However, even today, if you drive round a couple of housing estates in Brum, all the front doors are painted BL Blue.
  • Options
    Has he joined a union? They could take this up on his (and other staff) behalf, saving them for being singled out.
  • Options
    DRF said:

Has he joined a union? They could take this up on his (and other staff) behalf, saving them for being singled out.

No idea if so, but I cannot imagine Sportsdirect recognising a Union.

• Options

My 17 yo has got a part time job whilst at college in a sports/clothing store.
    He is prob the most honest kid you'll meet and has never ever been in trouble with authority

He wont be there long then and will be very successful elsewhere at a much more reputable company it seems. Persevere.
  • Options

rikofold said:

Yet rapist and child killers are innocent until proven guilty???
    Messed up Country we live in.

Yes, especially if they are innocent.

Jesus
    I'm talking about the ones that are red handed guilty, they still are innocent and treated that way until trial.

Do I have to Google their names and spell it out?
    Just such an unnecessary and disproportionate response. Yes, everyone is innocent until proven guilty - and that's a good thing. No, how we deal with child killers and rapists in this country has nothing to do with what your son encountered at SportsDirect, however unjust that (rightly) feels.
  • Options
    Bit of update on this if your interested,
    Sons given two days work this week, Saturday and Sunday 2-6 (thanks) he gets there at 1.45 as usual, they say
    'we haven't earned enough money this morning so can't let you do your shiftv
    They had 'lost' his number again to call him and tell him.
    He said fine, and went to walk out,
    'oh can you wait there whilst we search you before you leave' (at the main door in front of customers)

I kid you not.

I went up there and told them a few things about themselves.
  • Options
    Nice for your son to be introduced to the modern world of work so early. Tell him to get used to it - its the way the whole world is going. In a few years, most jobs will be zero hours, work as you're needed type jobs. Still - we're all in it together, right?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Could tell you some stories about when I worked for Sports Direct, or what was Lillywhites in Bromley.

One Boxing Day, someone's purse went walkabouts and we were locked in until 3 hours after store closing because no one would admit to taking it. When we were let out at 7pm (after searching), I let them know I wouldn't be returning.
  • Options
    You mean they didn't just search you on the spot like they do now....
    Had to really refrain from knocking the fckin no mark out today.
    He couldn't even understand me. Which made it more Infuriating.
  • Options
    I can tell you from experience sportsdirect is one of the most illegitimate places to work, you think it's bad on part time staff, Jesus full time is hell of a lot worse, often doing 13 hour shifts and paid for 9
  • Options
    Hold tight, it won't be long before you have a few people telling you you should be grateful you've got a job at all...
  • Options
    Bit of an update on this, let him leave SD, it got worse with even snotty texts to him from..... The store manager.
    They just drained any self value out of hm, obviously could b store specific.
    Any how, he leaves for Scotland on Tuesday to learn his trade in fibre optics, as a trainee whilst Lear ing on he job, he'll prob be up there 3/4 weeks at a time but with somebody I know and work with.

He can't wait.