Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

'Hello mum, this is going to be hard for you to read ...'

I've just been pointed in the direction of this article: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/hello-mum-this-is-going-to-be-hard-for-you-to-read-1753008.html

A quite unbelievable read in the context. Life is precious and every one of these men and women must be thinking and writing similar things, we are just fortunate that for the majority, their "final" letter remains on the shelf.

Not an attempt at kicking off a political debate, just wanted to share the thoughts of a 19 year old serviceman who unfortunately isn't with us anymore. RIP.

Comments

• Options
    Sad stuff.
    The futility of war.
    R.I.P.
  • Options
    What a tragic and heart breaking story - and all for what in the end?

Absolutely fuck all, that's what.

RIP Cyrus.
  • Options
    Thanks for posting
  • Options
    Remember writing something similar & leaving it in my room before heading off for my first tour of NI. Was a nice feeling to come home and rip it up.

Very sad, and brought a tear to my eye.

R.I.P son
  • Options
    I hugely admire and respect the Armed Forces for what they do but from a purely selfish point of view I desperately hope that my little lad doesn't want to be a soldier when he grows up. Having to read a letter like that from your child... well, I just don't know how any parent can ever get past that.

RIP
  • Options
    Retweeted this yesterday, proper heart wrenching stuff. Makes you realise how lucky you are
  • Options
    and the tragedy of the army being willing to send boys to do a mans job, if any man should do it in the first place, tragic and shame on the army for sending canon fodder!
  • Options
    I know it sounds daft, but I have always thought it a real shame that I cannot arrange to witness my own funeral. I would love to hear what people say about me, and feel about me. The nearest thing I have been able to do is to leave behind a series of letters addressed to a group consisting of my Wife, Daughter, and four Grandchildren, all of whom I love dearly. The letters have been written every five years or so as the kids have grown into adults. I have learnt what a mistake it is to see someone that you have strong feelings for die without them knowing how you feel. My advice to you, don't make that mistake, tell them today.
  • Options
    RIP Brave young man very sad
  • Options
    RIP young man.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    and that he's just a kid!

what is the minimum age for joining our forces?
  • Options
    That last letter was so emotional wow what a brave man i wished i had a quarter of his bravery RIP Cyrus Thatcher
  • Options
    Man, that was heart-breaking.
  • Options

and that he's just a kid!

what is the minimum age for joining our forces?

Not quite sure these days. Used to be 16 as a junior soldier and between 17-24 for regular intake. To go in as a junior was the equivalent of "prep school" and after the year they then join as normal..............
  • Options
    Granpa said:

I know it sounds daft, but I have always thought it a real shame that I cannot arrange to witness my own funeral. I would love to hear what people say about me, and feel about me. The nearest thing I have been able to do is to leave behind a series of letters addressed to a group consisting of my Wife, Daughter, and four Grandchildren, all of whom I love dearly. The letters have been written every five years or so as the kids have grown into adults. I have learnt what a mistake it is to see someone that you have strong feelings for die without them knowing how you feel. My advice to you, don't make that mistake, tell them today.

I think most at my funeral would say "He meant well" I'd be pleased with that.

• Options
    The last bit to his dad:

"I thank you for nothing because I no all you have given to me is not there to be thanked for its there because you did it cause you love me and that is my most proudest thing I could ever say."

Heart breaking stuff. Think I'm gonna go & watch my little tiddler sleep for a while.
  • Options
    But wanting to hit that link all day, but just can't bring myself to do it.
  • Options

Ditto.
  • Options
    Wasn't Cyrus' platoon a focus in the "Our War" show a year or two ago on BBC Three? Great show. Might've even been Channel 4 or BBC 2 but it really was brilliant though really sad. Definitely worth a watch.
  • Options
    Think the article is from 2009 as I finally read it this afternoon. So lonelyNA that might be him ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    And that's why I will be out selling poppies in few weeks time. Hope everyone will take the time to buy one when they see a seller.
  • Options
    Got about half way down the last letter, but couldn't finish it off.

RIP Cyrus
  • Options

And that's why I will be out selling poppies in few weeks time. Hope everyone will take the time to buy one when they see a seller.

yep we have a box in each of our stores
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

Think the article is from 2009 as I finally read it this afternoon. So lonelyNA that might be him ?

I'm pretty sure it is, I remember it from the show.
  • Options

and the tragedy of the army being willing to send boys to do a mans job, if any man should do it in the first place, tragic and shame on the army for sending canon fodder!

Was he a conscript ?
  • Options
    It would be interesting to know just what percentage of Wars should never have happened. Surely anyone with any sense knows that the Taliban will take over as soon as we are out of Afghanistan ? Although we tend to criticise Russia for their behaviour, thank goodness that they stood firm and insisted upon jaw jaw rather than war war !
  • Options
    PL54 said:

Was he a conscript ?
    Genuine question.

If you join the Army (or any other of the services come to that) what right (if any) do you have to refuse to be deployed to a war zone?

• Options

Me too.

RIP
  • Options
    Granpa said:

It would be interesting to know just what percentage of Wars should never have happened. Surely anyone with any sense knows that the Taliban will take over as soon as we are out of Afghanistan ? Although we tend to criticise Russia for their behaviour, thank goodness that they stood firm and insisted upon jaw jaw rather than war war !

I don't think you can ever know whether a war was 'meant' to happen. As in did it make life better or worse after. We only ever know the reality we are in. Plus no war starts because of one thing so in order for the war not to happen then a large percentage of the contributing factors need to not have happened.

I always find it weird when the older generation say 'If it wasn't for me you'd be speaking German' like that's the worse thing that could have happened if Germany won the war.