Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

This Formula One Season ...

Is it me or has it been desperately dull ... *Not if you are German*

Vettel has quite frankly dicked almost every race and Japan was his fifth win in a row! He and his car are miles superior to anybody else's ... Very boring and predictable!

He's got a 90 point lead with 4 races left ffs!

Comments

• It's not really their fault...

It's like Spain playing in the Euros last time, it gets boring when there's one team far beyond the rest.
  • Was going to watch it on BBC1 at 2pm this afternoon. The BBC1 news was on beforehand and I tuned in just as the newsreader said "Sebastian Vettel won the Japanese grand prix" and they then showed a 60 second highlight of the race, completely ruining the point of the 2hr programme that followed.

Gotta love the beeb
  • Was going to watch it on BBC1 at 2pm this afternoon. The BBC1 news was on beforehand and I tuned in just as the newsreader said "Sebastian Vettel won the Japanese grand prix" and they then showed a 60 second highlight of the race, completely ruining the point of the 2hr programme that followed.

Gotta love the beeb

They do the same thing with match of the day! Although that's normally ruined by the match thread anyway ;o
  • Thought I might get rid of Sky Sports because I don't get to watch that much football and wouldn't mind saving some money.

Two things stopped me, Cricket and F1.

It's down to one now (but aren't there changes and new rules for next season?)
  • Normally I'd say you should be watching MotoGP, but that has been even worse.
  • Vettel has won 5 of the 6 races since the tyres were changed following the British GP. Red Bull were crying to the FIA that the tyres used before didn't suit them and were dangerous; they got them changed.

He's a great driver but in a great car (that's borderline legal) and the governing body has done everything to placate his team. This season can't end soon enough. I don't think next year will be much different, yes there are new engines but the FIA originally proposed a number of aerodynamic changes, but you guessed it Red Bull protested and therefore the bodywork for next year's cars will remain quite similar.

This season has also been rubbish because the British drivers have struggled and the two best British teams, Williams and McLaren have had their worst season for decades.

Oh and to top it all, Sky have moved the F1 channel over to the sports package meaning that new subscribers need to pay about £50 per month to view F1. Existing subscribers should be on the minimum £31.75 per month deal but Sky are keeping quiet about whether this will be the case for 2014...
  • As soon as I see a Red Bull on pole I don't even bother watching. It's pretty much a foregone conclusion, much like the old days of Williams (Mansell, Hill era) when their car was so far beyond the others that only a collision or engine failure was ever likely to result in anything other than a Williams 1/2.
  • It's down to one now (but aren't there changes and new rules for next season?)

Like blindfolding Vettel or making him start from last every race? That might work.

I used to love watching F1 in the days of Mansell, Prost and Senna, then the battles between Damon Hill and Schumacher but its just beyond dull now.

Was going to watch it on BBC1 at 2pm this afternoon. The BBC1 news was on beforehand and I tuned in just as the newsreader said "Sebastian Vettel won the Japanese grand prix" and they then showed a 60 second highlight of the race, completely ruining the point of the 2hr programme that followed.

Gotta love the beeb

They do the same thing with match of the day! Although that's normally ruined by the match thread anyway ;o
    They always say look away now but never tell you to stick your fingers in your ears or hit the mute button, do they?!

• The best action is for the minor points places which says it all.

Also dominated by pits and tyres rather than driver skill.
  • When they go "And now sport" on the news, why not just turn over for a couple of minutes, that is what I do?
  • Sponsored links:

• and I tuned in just as the newsreader said "Sebastian Vettel won the Japanese grand prix"

Tbf

Gotta love the beeb

To be fair, they'd already broadcast the full race in the morning, so the Beeb had already broadcast the result. On days when they only have the highlights, they usually don't say much until they've been shown. On highlights days you have to dig into the website to find the result, but on live broadcast days the result is on the front page. Yes, the news bulletin should've warned (considering the highlights were about to be shown), but the result had been known for 5+ hours by this time.
  • Dull racing now, drivers can't even go for it as they are constantly told they need to save their tyres.
  • Have to agree with most of the comments expressed been a dull season
    If alonso goes to redbull it might make at least a race of it
    Sky's coverage is excellent but will not be paying the extra amount if that is what is planned
  • They should do a season where they all drive fiestas or some other pokey motor. Sod the technology, let's see who the best driver really is. Though I think Vettel would probably still win, it would make it closer
  • Croydon said:

They should do a season where they all drive fiestas or some other pokey motor. Sod the technology, let's see who the best driver really is. Though I think Vettel would probably still win, it would make it closer

Closest thing to that is Top Gear's "Star in a Reasonably Priced Car" but as they do it on different days the conditions are not identical. Current leaderboard for F1 drivers is:

1:42.9 - Lewis Hamilton
    1:43.1 - Mark Webber
    1:44.0 - Sebastian Vettel
    1:44.3 - Rubens Barrichello
    1:44.4 – The Stig (II)
    1:44.6 – Nigel Mansell
    1:44.7 - Lewis Hamilton 4yrs old (Damp & Oily)
    1:44.7 – Jenson Button (Hot)
    1:46.0 –The Stig (I) Black-Stig
    1:46.1 – Kimi Räikkönen (Very wet)
    1:46.3 – Damon Hill
    1:47.1 – Mark Webber (Very wet)

Seeing Webber beat Vettel's time was quite amusing. Would love to see Alonso on there!

• Basically shows how ridiculously fast Raikkonen is if you compare the two Webber laps.
  • F1 cars are the cutting edge of the automotive industry, they are so advanced that:
    They can't go in reverse
    They have great trouble going anywhere in the rain
    The tyres need changing after a few miles
    and as for fuel consumption.......

what a joke
  • edited October 2013
    - As per the regulations they still have a reverse gear
    - They can corner at over 170mph in the wet
    - Next year's engines will be the most fuel efficient of any top-line motorsport bar Formula E!

Pirelli went a bit too far with the tyres at the start of this year but it didn't stop teams mucking about (using ridiculously low pressures, extreme camber etc). The tyres were safe just Red Bull/Mercedes got the media on there side to say how dangerous they were.

Try blowing 800C of exhaust gas at your tyres and see how long they last.
  • I’m not a fan of false competition – the tyres mean (even if things have improved) that a driver has to drive to conserve rather than go as fast as he can and I don’t think it is in the spirit of F1. Last season was a much better one, but the best seasons are when you have a bit of competition. The Vettel/Red Bull Package is just a little bit too strong for it to be entertaining. I believe the three best drivers are Hamilton, Alonso and Vettel and if the first 2 had Vettel’s drive – they would be doing the same.
  • Sponsored links:

• From what I've read of the changes to next year's cars, the exhaust thing might really change Red Bull's set up, but it does sound like they'll be the masters of the changes anyway so we'll be heading in the same direction until Ferrari/ Mercedes/ McLaren et al catch up.

It's really hard to say if Vettel is a true great. Watching Raikkonen and Alonso compete with vastly inferior cars really highlights how good those two are. Vettel rarely has to deal with adversity, which is the cornerstone of the true greats, whether it's Schumacher winning a race using two gears, or Senna fighting the rules. The closest Vettel came was the final race (last season?) when he spun round and had to come from the back. Even still, the cookie crumbled right where he needed it to.

Hamilton is the unluckiest driver I've ever seen though. Sure, he creates his own problems a lot of the time, but this week was so ridiculously unlucky. He caned the Red Bulls at the start, which was precisely what the race needed.
  • This could explain their dominance. Only rumours but very naughty if so...

wired.com/autopia/2013/10/red-bull-f1-traction-control/
  • cafcpolo said:

This could explain their dominance. Only rumours but very naughty if so...

wired.com/autopia/2013/10/red-bull-f1-traction-control/

It's not traction control per se, but it's clever mapping. I think it contravenes 5.5.3 of the regs but Red Bull have been caught out twice in the last two seasons breaking the same rule (and were let off) but I think the FIA don't want to be embarassed into revealing that Red Bull have done it again. The mapping is designed to cut the cylinders, thereby reducing the torque demand as the car accelerates out of a corner.

As for the change of exhaust position from what I've read it shouldn't make that much of an impact on RB because they have mastered the rear bodywork of the car (specifically the floor) - teams will still be trying to direct exhaust gases downwards; instead of the floor it will be at the lower beam of the rear wing.

If the FIA had stuck with the proposed changes it would have seen revisions to the front wing and rear wings, as well as changing the turning/guide vanes on the cars - that would have made a dramatic impact on the aerodynamics but Red Bull got their way and it's all staying.

The politics, not the false competition, is what is really ruining F1. I guess all sports are the same, just it's a little more obvious in some as it is others.
  • Crap season, crap cars, crap races and so many of the tracks are properly crap too, the Korean, Bahraini and Indian circuits in particular.

Give me Spa, Monza, Silverstone and Suzuka any day
  • Give me MotoGP any day, it has turned into a bit of a procession like F1 but at least you get some overtaking.
  • Don't get why anyone would watch it. And I always used to go in the days of Ronnie Petterson and Emerson Fittipaldi and JPS Lotus. Used to get proper races back then. Stick them all in identical Fiesta STs and then we'll see who is the best driver.