Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tony Mowbray sacked

Comments

• Options
    Off_it said:

Teams like Middlesbrough should be sacking managers like Mowbray.

Like it.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    TelMc32 said:

JonnyK said:

TelMc32 said:

I like Mowbray the man but feel he'd done all he could at Boro and from seeing him in interviews recently he knew his days were numbered. He should just put his feet up and relax for a bit.

Is that how a number of fans see CP?

A small number, including you. Have a listen to the crowd on Sunday, if you missed their support for CP at the last home game.
    But maybe Big Andy makes a credible observation given that a very poor Boro outfit who only won 7 in this calendar year managed to win at VFR whilst still looking truly awful. Now that's a fact worthy of consideration?

Anyone can beat anyone in this league.
    Unless we are playing the spanners.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    JonnyK said:

TelMc32 said:

I like Mowbray the man but feel he'd done all he could at Boro and from seeing him in interviews recently he knew his days were numbered. He should just put his feet up and relax for a bit.

A small number, including you. Have a listen to the crowd on Sunday, if you missed their support for CP at the last home game.
    But maybe Big Andy makes a credible observation given that a very poor Boro outfit who only won 7 in this calendar year managed to win at VFR whilst still looking truly awful. Now that's a fact worthy of consideration?
    Wouldn't it be more factual to present Boros transfer and wage bill for the last three seasons so we can compare it with ours, and then develop a more informed and businesslike view than one based in one isolated game?

• Options
    When we played forest at home those who thought that the fans are turning against powell mustve been very upset
    Tony mowbrey and boro were well matched

Shit

Miserable

Nthn
  • Options
    When Boro went 3-0 down at Barnsley on Saturday I said he'd get the bullet, unless they made a dramatic comeback to win the game.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

I am surprised that a club like MB do not go for Curbs.

They have the owners that will provide the resources and the time to build a side and has proved he can do it.

Still can not understand why he is not back in football.

p.s SCP is unavailable.

You think Curbs would move to the north east? I don't. And that's part of the reason he hasn't got a job.
  • Options

JonnyK said:

TelMc32 said:

Wouldn't it be more factual to present Boros transfer and wage bill for the last three seasons so we can compare it with ours, and then develop a more informed and businesslike view than one based in one isolated game?

A boro fan wrote something up before our game saying how Mowbray had cleared out the last of the Premier League squad over the summer. Their accounts for last season will be filed at some point in the next few months and we can then make a comparison financially.
    What I have noticed is that since March while CAFC were edging towards the playoffs Boro were in freefall and their gates have dropped to 14,000.
    This in turn makes it harder to comply with FFP which is a lesson for us...
    Diehards go in all weathers but perhaps 10% will give up if there is no hope / no entertainment and you have little chance of getting the occasional fan along unless you are playing decent football and challenging.
  • Options
    Coral ‏@Coral 16m
    Next Middlesbrough Manager: 7/4 Tony Pulis, 4/1 Martin O'Neil, 6/1 Nigel Clough, 20/1 Alex McLeish

Wouldn't exactly excite you
  • Options
    Tony Mowbray's got a f#cking monkey's heid......

(i hope the england team dont read this.....)
  • Options
    Clough or O'Neil would be ok
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    In 2013 Boro picked up just 5 wins and 24 points from 33 league games.

Not the biggest of surprises he's gone.
  • Options

Redrobo said:

They have the owners that will provide the resources and the time to build a side and has proved he can do it.

p.s SCP is unavailable.

You think Curbs would move to the north east? I don't. And that's part of the reason he hasn't got a job.
    I was thinking about Curbs and work last week. So that is part of the reason. What are the others, do you think? When talking about Steve Bruce the BBC showed the table of managers with most FAPL games behind them, and Curbs was still ahead of Bruce. So much experience going to waste. He also doesn't seem to do much media work. I don't know Curbs at all, but I cant imagine him to be happy just playing golf or whatever. I start to slightly worry about him because as far as I'm concerned he is part of our tribe, even if he doesnt necessarily think that himself
  • Options
    There have been plenty of jobs come up in the past couple of years in the midlands, london and basically anywhere south. He as far i'm aware hasn't been in the running for any. You always here his name mentioned by the bookies as a token 16 or 20-1 but you never hear that he's actually in talks. I'm convinced clubs won't touch him because he sued West ham.
  • Options

Redrobo said:

p.s SCP is unavailable.

I was thinking about Curbs and work last week. So that is part of the reason. What are the others, do you think? When talking about Steve Bruce the BBC showed the table of managers with most FAPL games behind them, and Curbs was still ahead of Bruce. So much experience going to waste. He also doesn't seem to do much media work. I don't know Curbs at all, but I cant imagine him to be happy just playing golf or whatever. I start to slightly worry about him because as far as I'm concerned he is part of our tribe, even if he doesnt necessarily think that himself
    Why not come along to the BTTV dinner and speak directly to him , PA ...

• Options
    He does a lot of media work for foreign broadcasters.
  • Options
    He was just there for three years .. time plays tricks but to me, and I am sure to many many Middlesbrough fans, his tenure seemed like a lifetime .. he seems like a nice chap but probably too dour and introspective to make a really good manager .. call for Pulis Mr Gibson
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Mowbray was successful at Hibs and WBA playing attractive football. His time at Celtic and M'boro was less successful, although changing the style of play at the former and reshaping a squad post premier league relegation at the latter should be taken into consideration.

I have seen his comments in relation to us, and they could be read in a number of ways, so I'll give him the benefit of doubt. Overall he seems a decent person.

Curbs hasn't managed in 5 years, hasn't managed in the 2nd tier of English football for 13 years and hasn't put a team together from scratch since the 90's, all of this creates a potential perception of being out of touch. The fallout from West Ham may be that he is potentially deemed hard to work with. It's alleged he does not want to go too far from home, ruling out a substantial number of clubs.
  • Options
    Will be interesting who takes over.

Looks like a club in a real decline.

Shame as i like Gibson as a chairman.

• Options

Redrobo said:

p.s SCP is unavailable.

Curbs has been doing a lot of media work for Al Jazeera Sports and can be found as the football expert, sitting alongside the commentator at one of the live EPL games every week. You would be surprised quite how many ex-footballers / managers have washed up at Al Jazeera Sports.
  • Options

When Boro went 3-0 down at Barnsley on Saturday I said he'd get the bullet, unless they made a dramatic comeback to win the game.

All hail Doris Stokes!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Mowbray was successful at Hibs and WBA playing attractive football. His time at Celtic and M'boro was less successful, although changing the style of play at the former and reshaping a squad post premier league relegation at the latter should be taken into consideration.

I have seen his comments in relation to us, and they could be read in a number of ways, so I'll give him the benefit of doubt. Overall he seems a decent person.

Curbs hasn't managed in 5 years, hasn't managed in the 2nd tier of English football for 13 years and hasn't put a team together from scratch since the 90's, all of this creates a potential perception of being out of touch. The fallout from West Ham may be that he is potentially deemed hard to work with. It's alleged he does not want to go too far from home, ruling out a substantial number of clubs.

I'd say that's a good shout
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

JonnyK said:

TelMc32 said:

And maybe there are some clubs that have some sort of mystical hoodoo over others. Can't think Leicester like us much after the last couple of seasons.

Two of those 7 Boro wins were against Leicester & Cardiff at the end of last season when both were going strong & Boro had fallen over big time since Christmas.

Anyone can beat anyone in this league.
    Not the Massive ;-)))

• Options
    All hail Doris Stokes!

Excellent, I actually did laugh out loud.
  • Options
    Granpa said:

All hail Doris Stokes!

Excellent, I actually did laugh out loud.

Is that a big laugh, or a medium?
  • Options

Redrobo said:

p.s SCP is unavailable.

Curbs has been doing a lot of media work for Al Jazeera Sports and can be found as the football expert, sitting alongside the commentator at one of the live EPL games every week. You would be surprised quite how many ex-footballers / managers have washed up at Al Jazeera Sports.
    Glad to hear that he has a regular gig. But your last sentence, especially "washed up", is very telling. Feel a bit sad for Curbs, especially having read that thread on the 4-2 West Ham game in 98, when I was there and thinking football at The Valley was never better than this.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Being a crowd favourite probably saved him from being sacked much earlier.

• Options

Redrobo said:

p.s SCP is unavailable.

Mrs Curbs certainly would not. Mind you not sure many would want to go to Middlesborough. Didn't they have a brazillian player that described the local fairer sex as mingers (my interpretation).
  • Options

Redrobo said:

p.s SCP is unavailable.

Some say that taking West Ham to court worked against him. I think his insistence at getting back in the Premiership, as opposed to joining a top Championship side has not done him any good.

Now of course his length of time away from managing works against him, think how much the championship changed in the time we were out of it, same goes for the Prem, so this undermines his ability to achieve what he achieved with us and West Spam.

I think he does media work for either an Arab or Asian station and the occasional Sky news quote.
  • Options
    Souness favourite according to Daily Mail (via the BBC Football Gossip round-up, I hasten to add. ;-) )
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

Souness favourite according to Daily Mail (via the BBC Football Gossip round-up, I hasten to add. ;-) )

Former Boro player so a link there

It's not an attractive job, it doesn't seem like a club going places, but rather one sinking into mid table mediocrity