Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Passing on an iPhone

Wife has for an iPhone 4 and gonna upgrade next month to the new one. Wants to give the old phone to her mum who is on different network. Would she have to get phone unlocked and then get her mum to get a sim only deal that she them puts in the phone or is it already unlocked by the fact she has upgraded to another phone?

Comments

• MrOneLung said:

Wife has for an iPhone 4 and gonna upgrade next month to the new one. Wants to give the old phone to her mum who is on different network. Would she have to get phone unlocked and then get her mum to get a sim only deal that she them puts in the phone or is it already unlocked by the fact she has upgraded to another phone?

If it's Vodafone you need to request that it be unlocked. I've just done this with a 4S I sold. If you are upgrading they will unlock it for free.
  • Or go to any market stall selling / repairing / unlocking phones and get it done for a tenner.
  • Or go to any market stall selling / repairing / unlocking phones and get it done for a tenner.

If it has ios7 on it this probably wont work usually can only be done thorugh apple and itunes.
  • Even with ios 7 you can contact Vodaphone and they will unlock the phone for free. They will do this from the first day you get the phone. I gave my 4s to my Dad and he absolutely loves it
  • Thanks all.
  • Bump bump.

My iPhone 4 is knackered and I've been waiting on my sister to give me her iPhone 4s for months. Finally got it today and it's bloomin locked to Virgin. Apparently they charge £15 and it can take up to 30 days. I'm not having that.

Does any one know any shops around the SE London area that are any good? Cheap/quick/less likely to take all the expensive stuff out and replace it with cheap shite?

Any help is appreciated!
  • I used Cell Phone City in General Gordon Square the other month but for a crappy old phone. Not sure about iphones.
  • Try ebay.
  • Sponsored links:

• To unlock a phone from Orange now EE and the shops want £80 > £100 although Orange will unlock for £25
  • There's one opposite the Partridge in Bromley High St that will unlock it if you're round that way. Not sure about the cost though.
  • edited February 2015
    Ahh....never mind read the title wrong.
  • Heads up to everyone. I-phones don't bounce... Bollox!
  • If you update the system after unlocking the phone it will be locked again. Needs to be done properly.
  • edited February 2015
    Have an IPhone from work and a Samsung Galaxy S5 for my personal phone

IMO the Samsung is head and shoulders above the iPhone.