Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Flight delay in excess of three hours?

2»

Comments

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Jesus wept. In 2008 we spent 12 hours in Vilnius airport playing cards (it's smaller than my bedroom). We'd tried to take off but they abandoned it after the first attempt! What's the statute of limitations on this stuff!?

Go for it.
  • Options
    Dizzle said:

Pretty much exact story as Robbo a few years ago, delayed on route to Cuba. Delayed overnight so they put us up in the hotel in Gatwick, this was after taking off and then turning around. Delayed the next day on the new flight. Then the new plane had problems and could not take off. Eventually arrived almost two days later due to the time difference.

I received £80 for that :(

So why accept it?
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

rikofold said:

Why did it take so long? I got delayed by an overbooked Emirates flight out of Riyadh a few years ago. Several hours wait and an indirect flight later we were handed claim forms on the plane and I had £700 in my pocket before I even left Gatwick.

EDIT: A get out for the airlines is a technical fault, but this is pretty well scrutinised. I was put up overnight and fed by the airline when a flight out of Inverness was cancelled, got the first one the following morning but no compensation because of the fault. I guess this is right, you don't want your airline to be ignoring faults to avoid the compensation do you.

I think the actual get out is "exceptional circumstances". But a fault with the plane is not of itself an exceptional circumstance. Particularly if it's a part you'd expect the airline to have a readily available spare for and a quick fit. It has to be a "hidden part" or a failure before the anticipated end of life of the part. Poor maintenance is not an excuse.
    Missed a Virgin flight from Newark once because a door fell off the connecting Continental flight from New Orleans which was then cancelled. (Thankfully!) Although the flights were not booked together, Virgin were as good as gold and got us on to a flight the following morning (which they were under no obligation to do as it was not a refundable ticket). While Continental paid for the hotel overnight at Newark and also offered to get us on one of their flights across the Atlantic which we declined. Of course the internal US flight didn't come within the ambit of the EU regs on compo.
    Yep, the qualifier on the technical fault is an important one and the difference between getting financial compensation and not.

The good airlines are amazing when things go wrong. I missed a long haul out of Singapore back to the UK once through my own stupidity. Singapore Airlines just put me on the next flight, even though it was a non-transferable ticket. The American airlines can be very accommodating too.

I will never, however, fly Ryanair again unless I absolutely have no option.
  • Options
    Mate had his flight cancelled about five years ago as the pilot hung himself beforehand in the airport hotel.

Not sure what compo he got, but narrowly avoiding a suicidal pilot was a decent enough result.
  • Options
    edited October 2013

Slightly off topic, my neighbours daughter got married a couple of months ago and when they got to the airport for their honeymoon, the flight was over-booked. They were offered (on the spot) to be put up in a hotel until the following days flight and given free flights to Abu daibi (I think) plus 2 weeks full board in a top hotel, for a time of their choosing, which they were happy to accept...........

This happened to me when flying out to Poznan for a euro qualifier in 91. We were offered £200 each and a flight about 2 hours later, via Frankfurt.The flight cost less than that so we were happy to accept. Had spent most of it in the bar by the time we left Frankfurt!
  • Options
    edited October 2013

Slightly off topic, my neighbours daughter got married a couple of months ago and when they got to the airport for their honeymoon, the flight was over-booked. They were offered (on the spot) to be put up in a hotel until the following days flight and given free flights to Abu daibi (I think) plus 2 weeks full board in a top hotel, for a time of their choosing, which they were happy to accept...........

This happened to me when flying out to Poznan for a euro qualifier in 91. We were offered £200 each and a flight about 2 hours later, via Frankfurt.The flight cost less than that so we were happy to accept. Had spent most of it in the bar by the time we left Frankfurt!
    Also had this. Six of us flying to Rome on Alitalia. Bumped onto the next flight (4 hours later) £275 compo each - which was more than we paid for the flight - and £75 in vouchers each to spend on food and drink at Heathrow whilst we waited. Done about £40 each before we were called for the flight, so we all bought bottles of booze with what was left of the vouchers to take with us.

Luckily I didn't draw the short straw for the hire car in Rome.
  • Options
    I got a half empty night flight, with the family, from Lanzarote with First Choice a few years back. It was diverted to Alicante to pick up passengers stranded there with a dodgy plane, then landed at Manchester I assume as that was where they were going. I eventually got back to Gatwick 7 hours late. Got a full flight refund and vouchers for future travel.
  • Options

Dizzle said:

Pretty much exact story as Robbo a few years ago, delayed on route to Cuba. Delayed overnight so they put us up in the hotel in Gatwick, this was after taking off and then turning around. Delayed the next day on the new flight. Then the new plane had problems and could not take off. Eventually arrived almost two days later due to the time difference.

I received £80 for that :(

So why accept it?
    I didnt quite know how to claim further etc. Apparently they had pulled out parts of the insurance to show me why they only had to pay that much. I just rolled over and accepted it. Nowdays I would have rejected it and claimed further.
  • Options
    I ONCE HAD A FLIGHT THAT WAS A BIT LATE
  • Options

I was delayed at Jersey airport OVERNIGHT in 1989 due to a BA pilot strike.........got home a day later than planned but got no compo and about 10 years ago I was delayed on my way back from Calgary (the plane having to fly to Vancouver to use up fuel before we could land to change planes) and get home around 8 hours late. Again no compo !!

Don't think you can claim compo when it's due to industrial action.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We were refused boarding & bumped onto another flight, with a 6 hour delay. I was expecting a cash refund, but Thomas Cook are only offering vouchers. Any thoughts ? Should I carry on the "discussion" or accept the vouchers ?

"I am writing further to your recent travel arrangements on the above flight.

It is with great regret that I have to write to you to apologise for the disruption of your recent flight with us. Following investigations it would appear that the aircraft developed a technical issue. This was a totally extraordinary situation that we could not have prepared for, however, I do appreciate the inconvenience this caused to your travel plans.

By way of an apology, I would like you to accept the enclosed vouchers, which represent a payment of £200 per person. These vouchers can be used on a future holiday with Thomas Cook, where I hope we will be able to demonstrate that your experience is not typical of the standards operated by Thomas Cook Airlines.

A full investigation has been carried out to find out what the cause of the delay was and from that we can see that the flight was delayed due to unexpected safety issues. Our Engineering and Operations Teams took all reasonable steps to minimise the delay and despite our routine maintenance schedules, which comply with CAA regulations, and the manufacturers recommendations, the problem could not have been prevented.

On this occasion under EU Regulation 261/2004 compensation would not be payable. However, as we do certainly understand the inconvenience that you were caused, we made the decision to issue a goodwill gesture of £200 per person in Thomas Cook voucher. This is not a payment under EU Regulation 261/2004 and therefore we do not have to offer a cash alternative to this. We believe that we took all reasonable precautions to prevent the delay, and as such a payment under the Regulation would not be applicable. Due to this we are unwilling to amend our goodwill gesture.
  • Options

We were refused boarding & bumped onto another flight, with a 6 hour delay. I was expecting a cash refund, but Thomas Cook are only offering vouchers. Any thoughts ? Should I carry on the "discussion" or accept the vouchers ?

"I am writing further to your recent travel arrangements on the above flight.

It is with great regret that I have to write to you to apologise for the disruption of your recent flight with us. Following investigations it would appear that the aircraft developed a technical issue. This was a totally extraordinary situation that we could not have prepared for, however, I do appreciate the inconvenience this caused to your travel plans.

By way of an apology, I would like you to accept the enclosed vouchers, which represent a payment of £200 per person. These vouchers can be used on a future holiday with Thomas Cook, where I hope we will be able to demonstrate that your experience is not typical of the standards operated by Thomas Cook Airlines.

A full investigation has been carried out to find out what the cause of the delay was and from that we can see that the flight was delayed due to unexpected safety issues. Our Engineering and Operations Teams took all reasonable steps to minimise the delay and despite our routine maintenance schedules, which comply with CAA regulations, and the manufacturers recommendations, the problem could not have been prevented.

On this occasion under EU Regulation 261/2004 compensation would not be payable. However, as we do certainly understand the inconvenience that you were caused, we made the decision to issue a goodwill gesture of £200 per person in Thomas Cook voucher. This is not a payment under EU Regulation 261/2004 and therefore we do not have to offer a cash alternative to this. We believe that we took all reasonable precautions to prevent the delay, and as such a payment under the Regulation would not be applicable. Due to this we are unwilling to amend our goodwill gesture.

Accept the Vouchers.
  • Options
    Don't accept the vouchers.

A 'technical issue' is not deemed a totally extraordinary situation. Last October the European Court of Justice rules that delays, caused by events such as lack of flight crew or even technical faults, merited compensation.

Passengers have been able to make claims against airlines but the rule had not been implemented legally until last year when a judge in Staffordshire ruled using the law for the first time - awarding a couple £680 after their Thomas Cook flight home from Tenerife was delayed by 22 hours.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/holidays/article-2271213/How-claim-EU-flight-delay-compensation-EC-261-2004.html
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Don't accept the vouchers.

A 'technical issue' is not deemed a totally extraordinary situation. Last October the European Court of Justice rules that delays, caused by events such as lack of flight crew or even technical faults, merited compensation.

Passengers have been able to make claims against airlines but the rule had not been implemented legally until last year when a judge in Staffordshire ruled using the law for the first time - awarding a couple £680 after their Thomas Cook flight home from Tenerife was delayed by 22 hours.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/holidays/article-2271213/How-claim-EU-flight-delay-compensation-EC-261-2004.html

This. A fault with a plane is something that's supposed to be entirely predictable and why they are supposed to have spare parts languishing around their various airports. A fault is NOT one of the "extraordinary circumstances" that allows them to wriggle out of paying compensation and they know it.

Here's a pdf of the official form (I think it's up to date but maybe check) ec.europa.eu/transport/themes/passengers/air/doc/complain_form/eu_complaint_form_en.pdf

But frankly, if you make it clear that you know what you are doing and won't take any old bollocks then they'll probably roll over and cough up without you having to use the form.
  • Options
    You don't have to accept the vouchers. We have just wrote to monarch about a 10 hour delay we had going to Florida due to a cracked windscreen.

Not expecting much but we are going to keep pushing them to get something.
  • Options
    Airlines hate giving out money for this sort of stuff. Personally I would view their goodwill gesture as an admission of liability, but I suggest you phone the CAA's Passenger Complaints Department for some more qualified advice - 020 7453 6888.

If you do have a valid claim, the levels of compensation per passenger are set out in Regulation 261/2004 (the legislation that they have claimed does not apply in this case). You may have to take your case all the way to the Small Claims Court, although I understand that the courts usually rule in favour of passengers, particularly if a claim is supported by the CAA.

For short-haul flights that cover less than 1,500km:
    If the delay is less than two hours, you can claim €125
    If the delay is more than two hours, you can claim €250

For medium-haul flights that cover 1,500km – 3,500km, or flights within the EU of more than 1,500km:
    If the delay is less than three hours, you can claim €200
    If the delay is more than three hours, you can claim €400

For long-haul flights that cover more than 3,500km:
    If the delay is less than four hours, you can claim €300
    If the delay is more than four hours, you can claim €600
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

Airlines hate giving out money for this sort of stuff. Personally I would view their goodwill gesture as an admission of liability, but I suggest you phone the CAA's Passenger Complaints Department for some more qualified advice - 020 7453 6888.

If you do have a valid claim, the levels of compensation per passenger are set out in Regulation 261/2004 (the legislation that they have claimed does not apply in this case). You may have to take your case all the way to the Small Claims Court, although I understand that the courts usually rule in favour of passengers, particularly if a claim is supported by the CAA.

For short-haul flights that cover less than 1,500km:
    If the delay is less than two hours, you can claim €125
    If the delay is more than two hours, you can claim €250

For medium-haul flights that cover 1,500km – 3,500km, or flights within the EU of more than 1,500km:
    If the delay is less than three hours, you can claim €200
    If the delay is more than three hours, you can claim €400

For long-haul flights that cover more than 3,500km:
    If the delay is less than four hours, you can claim €300
    If the delay is more than four hours, you can claim €600

MrLargo - i owe you a beer or two !
    Last November 21 i was booked on a BA flight to Cape Town that didnt take off until 24 hours later ! - i was going for a long weekend to be with my daughter for her birthday (which i missed coz of the delay). I've just rung the number you gave above, and they were very very helpful and advised me that i am due 600 euros ! - Wow, England win at cricket, and now this - lets hope Charlton make it 3 on Saturday !
  • Options
    In excess of 3hrs is in reality incorrect and unlikely to get you anything. over 6 hours however and the CAA will back you up.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

In excess of 3hrs is in reality incorrect and unlikely to get you anything. over 6 hours however and the CAA will back you up.

Mine was 24 hours !
  • Options
    Does anyone know if this CAA number would help me? Does it cover flights originating outside of the EU?

i was delayed by 14 hours from Singapore to London recently 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Does anyone know if this CAA number would help me? Does it cover flights originating outside of the EU?

Flights originating from outside the EU are covered, but only if you're on an EU airline, British Airways, for example.

If you were on Singapore Airlines (or another non-EU airline) then you wouldn't be covered by EU law. You should still complain to the airline in this instance though - you would be covered by whatever consumer protection laws they have in Singapore, which might be absolutely nothing but could also be very generous (probably not though!). It'll be hidden in the small print on the website somewhere.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

Flights originating from outside the EU are covered, but only if you're on an EU airline, British Airways, for example.

If you were on Singapore Airlines (or another non-EU airline) then you wouldn't be covered by EU law. You should still complain to the airline in this instance though - you would be covered by whatever consumer protection laws they have in Singapore, which might be absolutely nothing but could also be very generous (probably not though!). It'll be hidden in the small print on the website somewhere.
    Thanks for the reply. It was Qantas. I’ll have a look