Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The week that was - 25th March 2000 Crystal Palace 0 Charlton 1

edited March 2007 in General Charlton
25th March 2000. Crystal Palace 0 (0) Charlton Athletic 1 (0) (Kitson 82) Selhurst park, Att: 22,577

Palace: Digby, Austin, Zhiyi, Linighan, Cole, Morrison, Mullins, Thomson (Foster 60), Carlisle (Martin 84), McKenzie, Forssell. Unused subs: Woozley, Gregg, Hunt.

Charlton: Kiely, Barness, Tiler, Rufus, Powell, Newton (Salako 75), Kinsella, Stuart, Robinson (Konchesky 84), Hunt (Kitson 75), Svensson. Unused subs: Royce, Parker.

Referee: Chris Foy (St Helens).

Charlton retained their 13 point lead at the top of the table after Ipswich and Man City both secured last minute winners.

The win, a record 12th away from home, was Charltons first in the league at Selhurst (against Palace) since 1935. It was also Charltons first double over Palace. Dean Kiely kept his 19th clean sheet in league and cup football equalling Nicky Johns record.

Comments

• Options
    We had a great following that day, didn't we take the whole Arthur Wait stand? Remember singing with such passion that we 'Would never play you again' although we did. A great day out. A good time to gloat.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    what a cracker of a day -the fat bitch on the pitch - Ashley Cole getting ruined by Shaun Newton - was pissed as an absolute fart as well..........
  • Options
    great day, one of the few we've had with proper away support and what a loop when kitson got the winner
  • Options
    Have to agree it was a superb away day. Drove there follwoing my Palace supporting mate from Sidcup as he knew all the back roads and cut throughs. Met up with him after and he wasn't best pleased! Totally ignored me when we got back to the cars if memory serves correct!
    Also remember being in the Wetherspoons in Norwood High Street. Some Palace fans in the corner piped up with 'Glad all over' and then all, and I mean, all the CAFC in the pub rose to drown them out with a ridiculously loud rendition of 'Valley Floyd Road'. When we left the pub we could still hear it. How proud to be Charlton that day. Absolutly brilliant.
  • Options
    Delilah

One Saturday, we played Palace away, we were champions
    der der der derrrr
    Onto the pitch came that silly bitch, and we roared
    der der der deer
    WEEEE ARE THE CHARLTON
    we stood and we sung that we'll never shall play you no moooore

WHY WHY WHY, WE'RE CHARLTON.
    WHY WHY WHY, WE'RE CHARLTON,
    SO, BEFORE, YOU WENT ON YOUR CHAMPIONSHIP TOUR,
    WE STOOD AND WE SUNG THAT WE NEVER SHALL PLAY YOU NO MOOORE,
    WE STOOD AND WE SUNG THAT WE NEVER SHALL PLAY YOU NO MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORE

thank you very much you've been a wonderful audience, no knickers please ladies. Oh, go on then.....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Spankie[/cite]Have to agree it was a superb away day. Drove there follwoing my Palace supporting mate from Sidcup as he knew all the back roads and cut throughs. Met up with him after and he wasn't best pleased! Totally ignored me when we got back to the cars if memory serves correct!
    Also remember being in the Wetherspoons in Norwood High Street. Some Palace fans in the corner piped up with 'Glad all over' and then all, and I mean, all the CAFC in the pub rose to drown them out with a ridiculously loud rendition of 'Valley Floyd Road'. When we left the pub we could still hear it. How proud to be Charlton that day. Absolutly brilliant.

I was in that pub as well that day and remember that rendition, the hairs on the back of my neck stood up!!
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    The win, a record 12th away from home, was Charltons first in the league at Selhurst (against Palace) since 1935. It was also Charltons first double over Palace. Dean Kiely kept his 19th clean sheet in league and cup football equalling Nicky Johns record.[/quote]

yep and took 65 years, for us to be in administration and an on-loan striker before you could get a league win against Palace at selhurst.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: son of selhurst[/cite]yep and took 65 years, for us to be in administration and an on-loan striker before you could get a league win against Palace at selhurst.

good job you've moved on and let it go, SOS....... :-)
  • Options
    good job you've moved on and let it go, SOS....... :-)[/quote]

Juts adding a little balance to the story......oh and I missed off that it also took 82minutes.........me bitter? :-)
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: son of selhurst[/cite]yep and took 65 years, for us to be in administration and an on-loan striker before you could get a league win against Palace at selhurst.[/quote]

and the way it's going at present, it could be 65 years before you get another league win against us - home or away :o)

do you remember your last one ? clue for all Charlton fans with long term memory loss - Kevin Scott made his debut in defense.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: No.1 in South London[/cite]
    [cite]
    do you remember your last one ? clue for all Charlton fans with long term memory loss - Kevin Scott made his debut in defense.

was that the one where Salmon let it slip under his body near the end of the game ?
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    was that the one where Salmon let it slip under his body near the end of the game ?[/cite][/quote][/quote]

Shipperely in the last minute at whitehorse lane end........there is something familiar about that :-(

And as with the romehdal goal you had your usual 2 bob away support.
  • Options
    2 bob away support!c'mon fella apart from the time you filled out the away end when we relegated you and yes if you had the chance you would have sold more but due to restrictions you could'nt!I can honestly say apart from that day your away support has always been dire at our place!FACT
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Tavern[/cite]2 bob away support!c'mon fella apart from the time you filled out the away end when we relegated you and yes if you had the chance you would have sold more but due to restrictions you could'nt!I can honestly say apart from that day your away support has always been dire at our place!FACT

You obviously did not attend the Carling cup game in the same season where we also sold at are away allocation, as we also did in for the play-off semi and even the 1-0 league defeat in 99 where we fielded a team of kids. Infact I can't remember the last time we did not sell out are allocation at the valley.
  • Options
    Yes i was at them games!If you did then you did!You just don't ever seem to make that much of a impression at the Valley with your support unlike when we are at yours!That will be my point on this matter
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: son of selhurst[/cite]was that the one where Salmon let it slip under his body near the end of the game ?

Shipperely in the last minute at whitehorse lane end........there is something familiar about that :-(

And as with the romehdal goal you had your usual 2 bob away support.[/quote]

CORRECT ! amased that you have such a good memory of the events that day, what with it being all the way back in the depths of the last millenium :o)

The goal was a shocker from our viewpoint, but at least it didn't count that much come the end of the season !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Tavern[/cite]Yes i was at them games!If you did then you did!You just don't ever seem to make that much of a impression at the Valley with your support unlike when we are at yours!That will be my point on this matter

you are joking are'nt you? Fulham brought more to selhurst in the prem for a monday night game on sky, than you lot did in the same season!
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    [cite]Posted By: No.1 in South London[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: son of selhurst[/cite]was that the one where Salmon let it slip under his body near the end of the game ?

And as with the romehdal goal you had your usual 2 bob away support.

CORRECT ! amased that you have such a good memory of the events that day, what with it being all the way back in the depths of the last millenium :o)

The goal was a shocker from our viewpoint, but at least it didn't count that much come the end of the season !

It was a terrible a goal, I think i mainly remember it as Shipps to swing at it from about 20 yards and it was a pee roller, everyone groaned thinking what a pony effort, and the next thing we know it's in the back of the net! I seem to remember it was generally a terrible game.

I have to store such things in the memory bank because apart from that and beating you in both legs of the Play-off semi final....things have not gone well against the addicks!
  • Options
    The reality of the 65 years is that from 36 till the early 60s we didn't play Palace as we were in the top flight or 2nd Div while Palace were founder members of Div 4. Palace overtook Charlton in the late sixties and they yo-yo'ed up and down meaning that the games were relatively few and far between.

By 2000 Charlton had reasserted its place as number one team in South London which it has retained ever since and has held for the majority of the years since joining the league in 1921.
  • Options
    you forgot FACT Henry !

As for that one under Salmon's body, i was away in Dublin with half the Millwall team for a Christening, cut it short by a day to get an early flight back to go to Selhurst.

Not the best decision i've ever made....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    as henry pointed out over the course of time we are the numero uno in south london but we do have a crap record against millwall and palace but i'd much rather lose to them and be superior as we have over the longer period..... as for our away support it's crap (unless it's a freebie) FACT
  • Options
    "Reality" is the new "FACT"
  • Options
    11 years ago. Where does it go?
  • Options
    Oh happy times, where have you gone? What a great day that was - fantastic, noisy supporters watching a side bristling with commitment and talent.

As an aside, the 1-0 Shipperley defeat in 1997 referred to in the old posts above, I wrote a match report for that game that was published in the following week's matchday programme. Had aspirations to be a journalist at the time and got a phonecall from Peter Burrowes on the morning of the game asking me to do it, having pestered him on a weekly basis all season - that turned out to be the pinnacle of my journalistic career!
  • Options
    The perfect away game.

Nice song AFKA!
  • Options
    Not quite Dennis in the last minute, but a game that was drifting towards a goalless draw until.......