Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

National Football Museum - Manchester

Anybody been?
Was in there Saturday and spent 3 hours roaming around (could have spent longer). Very interesting place and quite a bit of Charlton related stuff, inlcuding a letter from Jimmy Dickenson to the great Sam on his 500th appearance, cameos by Paddy and Ollie Groome in the FL 125 year celebrations. The legendary Eddie also appears.

Well worth a visit if you're up that way. It's free to get in and a reasonably priced cafe.

Only downside it's a bit Citeh orientated, probably understandable tho'.

Comments

• I've been. I was disappointed that there was nothing about our return home, but something about FCUM.
  • I've been. I was disappointed that there was nothing about our return home, but something about FCUM.

I was disappointed that there was nothing about the Sunderland game.
  • Went when it was at Preston, enjoyed it.

They were quite helpful when we were setting up http://www.thecharltonathleticmuseum.co.uk/CAM_HOME.html but they don't seem to have very good records of what Charlton items they have.

If the letter to Sam was part of the league's 125th anniversary then it was leant to the Football Museum by Charlton Athletic.
  • Went when it was at Preston, enjoyed it.

They were quite helpful when we were setting up http://www.thecharltonathleticmuseum.co.uk/CAM_HOME.html but they don't seem to have very good records of what Charlton items they have.

If the letter to Sam was part of the league's 125th anniversary then it was leant to the Football Museum by Charlton Athletic.

Yes, I went into it when it was at Preston as well. It was a rather strange shape as a result of being under the stands! I went on a Sunday, and it was virtually empty, which explains why it moved to Manchester
    Good for a free museum, I've been up to Manchester a couple of times recently, but never had the time to visit it there. Do they still have the exhibit where you can try your hand at commentary?
  • Is it in central Manchester? My train for Bolton arrives in Manc quite early so I'd have time to check it out.
  • edited October 2013

Went when it was at Preston, enjoyed it.

Yes, I went into it when it was at Preston as well. It was a rather strange shape as a result of being under the stands! I went on a Sunday, and it was virtually empty, which explains why it moved to Manchester
    Good for a free museum, I've been up to Manchester a couple of times recently, but never had the time to visit it there. Do they still have the exhibit where you can try your hand at commentary?
    Yes, lots of interactive thingies to do, penalty shoot-outs, keepie uppy, radio commentary. About £2.50 a go on each or you buy a book of credits. Well worth it tho'. (We beat Citeh 3-2 on penalties, on Saturday afternoon ;-))

• RedPanda said:

Is it in central Manchester? My train for Bolton arrives in Manc quite early so I'd have time to check it out.

If you get off at Piccadilly get the tram towards Bury, to Victoria (£1.10) single, it's in Cathedral Gardens behind the Arndale Centre. M4 3BG.

• RedPanda said:

Is it in central Manchester? My train for Bolton arrives in Manc quite early so I'd have time to check it out.

Yes, great location, right in the middle of town, in the "iconic" Urbis building. An easy walk from Piccadilly, and very near Victoria station, if you catch your train to Horwich from there...