Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Chris Powell wants Charlton Athletic to be clinical

Comments

• Not rocket science Chris but you're not wrong. Trouble is I don't see many goals in either Church or Sordell.
  • I do in Sordell. With a bit of confidence he'll be a real player for us.
  • I have a feeling that the skipper will be playing as the 2nd striker this weekend.
  • JonnyK said:

I have a feeling that the skipper will be playing as the 2nd striker this weekend.

Think that's the right move too. The other 2 have had enough game time and no results..

• Think Churchy could go onto double figures this season after what has been seen so far. I would love for sordell to start scoring some goals or even produce on the pitch, but dont really think hes ever been a real goalscorer to date.
  • To be fair to Churchy and even Marvin the Marvel, they've had very little service.
    There have been very few clear cut opportunities.

We saw how Sordell finished against Forest, and the superb strike that Churchy put away at Blackburn - but no striker in the world will score goals without the ball.

Without Kermo, there is no point team mates just lumping the ball forward. That's meat and drink for most opposing defenders.
    CP has to find a strategy that creates chances in and around the box.

• edited October 2013
    Clinical! With Sod All and Church up front, Pritchard as our attacking midfielder and playing hoof-ball to relative midgets. Yeah right Chris, whatever you say me old mucker. This should be in the "jokes" section.

I'm a big Powell fan by the way, just sayin.
  • Was about to say the other day that Jacko at his age would make a great striker. He can win headers, he gets in the right positions and he can certainly finish with power. Put him up front and I reckon he'll end up being our 4th striker.
  • I think it is unfair to focus on the strikers and ignore the service they get.
  • dizzee said:

Was about to say the other day that Jacko at his age would make a great striker. He can win headers, he gets in the right positions and he can certainly finish with power. Put him up front and I reckon he'll end up being our 4th striker.

Lacks pace though doesn't he? He has been found out for pace since we have been back in the Championship so I cannot see him playing off the shoulder and running on to through balls.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think it is unfair to focus on the strikers and ignore the service they get.

have to agree with this, we have struggled all year to beat a full back, get to the by-line and put in a decent cross. All strikers will regularly score goals if you can do this! We have been crossing the ball from too deep, sometimes even from the halfway line, which means the ball is straight down the centre halfs throat.

Against Wigan we got in some reasonable positions to cross the ball, but the standard of that delivery was incredibly disappointing! I lost count of the amount of times the ball was too long, didn't beat the first man or went straight out of play for a goal kick.

Whats frustrating is we have players that can both beat a man and cross a ball ie Harriott (though he is yet to perform this season) and Danny Green, but CP seems to insist on sticking with Pritch who can do neither!

Now I love pritchys work rate and enthusiasm, its fantastic, but by playing him wide its causing us more problems than it is creating chances.
  • edited October 2013

dizzee said:

Was about to say the other day that Jacko at his age would make a great striker. He can win headers, he gets in the right positions and he can certainly finish with power. Put him up front and I reckon he'll end up being our 4th striker.

Lacks pace though doesn't he? He has been found out for pace since we have been back in the Championship so I cannot see him playing off the shoulder and running on to through balls.
    Ye he is not the fastest but is Grant Holt? It's not all about pace. I wouldn't expect him to be the one running onto balls. He'd be the poacher in the area. The one getting on the end of crosses or firing in the loose balls in the area. Would put him next to either Sordell or Church when Yann is out injured. There's no point playing the other two together. They can't win a header between them.
  • dizzee said:

dizzee said:

He'd be the poacher in the area. The one getting on the end of crosses
    Now come on stop messing around, when did you last see a player wearing a Charlton shirt get to the bye line and whip a cross in :-)

• edited October 2013
    I'd stick with Pritch too as stats show he creates more than his fair share and he gets in goal scoring positions more than other do - he just doesn't make the most of them and we need to work on this - which it seems we are.

Chrissy has been traying to play with a player who can beat players - the problem is, both Harriot and Stewart have not been doing it lately. I'd like to see Wilson get forward more, because whilst he lacks the trickery, he is very direct when attacking and his crosses are generally above average.

Harriot was very direct last season - but has seemed too cautious this. Playing the way we do, we need a player that keeps trying to beat the defender - if they feel there is even half a chance of this happening it pushes opponents back at worst!

Also, when a player has a bit of space close to goal, they always have a shot, where as sometimes the should drive towards the goal and look to pass when closer. There was a great opportunity to do this on Sunday, but we hardly ever take this option.

• Sadly, all that CP is really saying is " I wish I had the money to bring a decent striker in ".
  • JonnyK said:

I have a feeling that the skipper will be playing as the 2nd striker this weekend.

I REALLY hope you are wrong .... "quicksand" just isn't with the pace of the game any more
  • dizzee said:

dizzee said:

Now come on stop messing around, when did you last see a player wearing a Charlton shirt get to the bye line and whip a cross in :-)

Jonny Robinson would run then check then run again - does that count ?
    Newton would run and just forget the crossing bit
  • 4 Goals in 8 games, no shit sherlock
  • dizzee said:

dizzee said:

Ahhhhhhh those were the days. Robbo would beat a defender then go back and beat him again.........we can only dream
  • dizzee said:

dizzee said:

Ahhhhhhh those were the days. Robbo would beat a defender then go back and beat him again.........we can only dream
    and ten thousand people in unison would shout "check !!!"
  • Sponsored links:

• We basically need to play the same team - it is better suited to away games and whilst we are not scoring, we are also not conceeding!
  • JonnyK said:

I REALLY hope you are wrong .... "quicksand" just isn't with the pace of the game any more
    Has JJ played in that position before ? I don't remember him doing so but would be interested to see how he gets on.

Looking forward to the game, I think we've got a really good chance of winning.
  • se9addick said:

JonnyK said:

Has JJ played in that position before ? I don't remember him doing so but would be interested to see how he gets on.

Looking forward to the game, I think we've got a really good chance of winning.
    I would rather play Piggott, Tamer Tuna, Sordell, or his nan for that matter !!!
  • JJ does not have the attributes of a striker. As a midfielder he can ghost into goal scoring positions - as a striker he is there to be shot at and doesn't have the pace or trickery to be effective in that position. What he does have, is great finishing ability, but he will always get more chances from midfield than playing up front!
  • Sordell and Church up front really doesn't seem to produce much. They are both players who can probably finish quite well if you give them the ball in front of the goal, but we're not capable of doing that. As it stands, they hardly even touch the ball.

Our forward options last year (Fuller, Yann, Haynes) really were very decent in comparison as they could all make something happen out of very little service.

Not sure exactly what traits Church and Sordell have that are going to produce much with the team we have.
  • We need our Ricardo back.
  • We need our Ricardo back.

We do seem to be lacking a player who can conjure a goal out of nothing.

Remember those Danny Haynes wonder strikes?

Exactly, some of our crossing from decent positions, especially in the first half, was woeful. Corners were not much better either, surely this is something that's fairly easy to practice?...
  • or even to expect a bigger percentage of better ones through nothing more than the law of averages! It is almost feels like we try to put rubbish crosses in sometimes!!
  • dizzee said:

dizzee said:

The answer is : Len Glover