Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Interview Advice.

Comments

• Options
    One question that may come up is

You have spent all of your career in the public sector, why do you want to change now.

And a supplementary to this would be what are the main challenges / differences.

Both can be god send questions if you prepare for them as they allow you to bring out your skills abilities and achievements and how they will benefit them. You can even answer them before they are asked when you are asked to talk about yourself.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

You have spent all of your career in the public sector, why do you want to change now.

And a supplementary to this would be what are the main challenges / differences.

Both can be god send questions if you prepare for them as they allow you to bring out your skills abilities and achievements and how they will benefit them. You can even answer them before they are asked when you are asked to talk about yourself.

Good advice. This is the sort of question I have asked civil servants/ex-civil servants in the past.

What I want to hear is that they've at least given it some thought. I'm not bothered if they say "more money" - but have they considered what earning that extra money may involve?

I think the big difference, certainly for me, was personal accountability. For example, If you work for a Council or HMRC and you make a mistake which means someone ends up paying less tax then nothing will happen to you. If you work make the same sort of mistake for a customer the chances are they will bugger off elsewhere, your business loses money and you end up out on your ear.

PS. I WOULDN'T take notes either. I've taken dozens and dozens of interviews over the years and can't ever remember someone taking notes. But I guess it's horses for courses.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Kap10 said:

Good advice. This is the sort of question I have asked civil servants/ex-civil servants in the past.

What I want to hear is that they've at least given it some thought. I'm not bothered if they say "more money" - but have they considered what earning that extra money may involve?

I think the big difference, certainly for me, was personal accountability. For example, If you work for a Council or HMRC and you make a mistake which means someone ends up paying less tax then nothing will happen to you. If you work make the same sort of mistake for a customer the chances are they will bugger off elsewhere, your business loses money and you end up out on your ear.

PS. I WOULDN'T take notes either. I've taken dozens and dozens of interviews over the years and can't ever remember someone taking notes. But I guess it's horses for courses.
    ...and what about if you make a decision that results in a child being taken into care or the 100's of other decisions made in the public sector that REALLY matter...do you seriously think that there's no personal responsibility for decisions like that??? My wife regularly attends disciplinary hearings that result in the dismissal of the employee yet this attitude and preconception persists. The OP needs to work hard to knock that issue down and make sure they get the interviewer to look at what they can bring to the role instead.

Agree about the note taking thing though.
  • Options
    I gave a specific example Bournemouth, but appreicate there is no single answer.

Perhaps I should have said "personal commercial accountability".

For every story you tell me about the excellent work prople like your wife do , for example, I could give you ten where there is a complete lack of personal accountability for decisions, etc. taken by faceless civil servants and council workers. And this is personal experience, witnessed from both sides of the fence.

But that's another whole different topic!
  • Options
    One of the most annoying things said in an interview I took was "Ok, so did your internet research tell you this..." How the feck do these people think candidates will research companies?

I personally never discuss salary in an interview unless the interviewer(s) raise it. They will make an offer, if you don't like it either you can negotiate (they've offered you the job so they must like you) or turn it down. But bear in mind they will have a pretty good idea of what the going rate is for the role they're offering.

A good final question would be to ask if, after all they've heard in the interview, they have any concerns about employing you, which you can address. Gives you a last chance to convince them you are the right candidate.
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:

A good final question would be to ask if, after all they've heard in the interview, they have any concerns about employing you, which you can address. Gives you a last chance to convince them you are the right candidate.

Always use this question... Used it to get my previous job where I worked for 5+ years, even the interviewer commented that it was a good question the moment I'd asked
  • Options
    Don't tell the person interviewing you that you'd like to give her one.

No, I didn't get the job.
  • Options
    Probably be a 'Competency' based interview, with specific questions loaded indirectly to their job spec; eg: 'Tell me about a situation when you established a customer's needs and worked to satisfy them. What precisely did you do? What was the outcome'? or 'Tell me about a time when you have worked collaboratively with colleagues. What was the situation? What was your contribution? What were the results'? They normally base the competency type questions around teamwork, customer focus, results orientation, interpersonal skills/sensitivity. Again, this will link to the job spec.

Top tip from someone who worked for 25 years in public sector then went for an interview in the private sector. I researched the organisation inside out. Anything they did not ask me at the interview about the organisation I made sure I threw in there at any given opportunity. When given feedback, I was told that my knowledge of the organisation and research was far better than anyone else's and got me through to the second interview and beyond.
  • Options
    Lots been covered, here's my bit, mostly repeating others' brill advice but anyway. I do some interviews where I am so here are some observations.

Pre-match prep. Where is the place (sounds obvious but if you are going to an industrial estate or something it can be tricky). Who are you meeting? You have been probably been given one name but will there be others? Do good research both on the company and the business. Google and Google news the company and the names. Have they signed a big deal recently, has the woman you are seeing been appointed to a voluntary sector post or joined another board somewhere? Think about asking for the job description in full before you go.

Think about taking stuff with you. If you have contributed to a report, take it. If you have some responsibility for a website and have or can borrow an ipad, take it (with the relevant pages bookmarked, obv). If you are doing this, knowing you are seeing three people will help.

Think of three reasons that you should have the job and make them the points of your answers. It's ok to return to the same points if they are directly related to the JD.

Re taking notes, not sure I would. Salaries, if you are asked then say that you are attracted to the package as a whole including training opportunities etc. If pushed, 10 - 20pc more than you would want should do it.

The last question suggested by Saga Lout is superb.

• Options
    Do your research on the company, look at their website it shows you are interested in the company and the job. Also ask questions relevant to the job/organisation challenges and culture. My pet hate is when people don't do these things differentiates you from the competition. And most importantly interviews are a 2 way process you need to decide if you want to work for them so ask questions which will help you decide. With that in mind relax and be yourself. Good luck
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thought I would give a quick update due to the amount of excellent advice I was given, lots of which I used.

I finally found out yesterday - over two weeks after the interview - that I have been invited to the 2nd stage, which is another interview on Friday 13th (with the Group Accountant & Head of Finance this time) and two tests - intermediate spelling and numerical reasoning (been yonks since I have done either of them).

Not sure what to expect with this one as the last interview was over an hour and I felt everything was covered.

Anyway thanks for the advice again guys and girls and i'll let you know how I get on.
  • Options
    Your spelling is OK .. Numerical reasoning .. The Dickens Method .. Income £1 .. outgoings £1. 0s. 1d .. result ? poverty .... Income £1 .. outgoings £0. 19s. 11d .. result ? .. prosperity .. good luck with the 2nd round .. when the bell rings, come out fighting
  • Options
    Nice one
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Great news, well done.
  • Options
    great result .. but what is there to be scared about?
  • Options
    Always scary starting a new job, but it is like first day nerves at school you will be fine.
  • Options
    Well done
  • Options
    Lincs - it's just change mate. I started with my current employer straight from school on my 16th birthday (unusual then as 90% went to 6th form) and have been there ever since - now 28. So it's all I've ever known and the people are like family to me.

All good things come to an end though - onwards and upwards!!
  • Options
    ^^^^ of course it'll be a challenge .. they gave you the job, they 'fancy' you, so go and get stuck in .. all the very best TO
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PL54 said:

I'm sure there has been lots of good advice on here before on this subject so here it goes:
    Cheers.

Hi - if you drop me an e-mail I will send you all sorts of information around STAR technique and the such like.

PL54@hotmail.co.uk

Can I ask what star technique is? My son finishing A levels this year and he's looking,at getting an IT apprenticeship so,will hopefully start getting interviews etc in new year.
  • Options
    Great news these days as lots of candidates per job
    U must have something special they were looking for
    Go give it to them best of luck
  • Options
    Well done
  • Options
    Strong, firm handshake and look your interviewer in the eye.

But the most important thing is your shoes. If they are not new, make sure they are clean.
  • Options
    Good luck, I've never made it out of Local Govt but have moved authorities. When you do it for the first time it's really daunting.

Have faith in yourself and your abilities. To get the job shows that they have recognised your talent.

• Options
    Ledge said:

PL54 said:

I'm sure there has been lots of good advice on here before on this subject so here it goes:
    Cheers.

Hi - if you drop me an e-mail I will send you all sorts of information around STAR technique and the such like.

PL54@hotmail.co.uk

Can I ask what star technique is? My son finishing A levels this year and he's looking,at getting an IT apprenticeship so,will hopefully start getting interviews etc in new year.
    It's a technique for answering questions. I cat remember what it stands for but there are loads of links to it. I think there's one on the guardian website, if you can stomach that. Essentially you describe a situation, what the problem was, what you did to solve it, what the outcome was and what you learned from it. Questions are like "describe a situation where you have overcome adversity" or "describe a time you have worked in a team". Well worth preparing for.
  • Options
    Situation
    Task
    Action
    Result

Something like that.
  • Options
    Xactly like that - did it help Organiser ?

Worth having a look at but by no means the only option. Sorry for the delay @Ledge but if he wants some interview technique then I can offer some help.

PL54@hotmail.co.uk

• Options
    edited December 2013
    Try to be yourself. Let some genuine feeling show through when you tell them why you like what you do. Don't be afraid to let humour in if it seems appropriate. Structure your answers - helps if you have the skill to quickly "bullet point" the main issues you want to cover, then move on from one to the next ,returning if you think you have left something unsaid. It's ok to take a moment to think - don't ever answer in haste because you are afraid of a few seconds silence. And, may sound ridiculous, but tell yourself you are going to enjoy the interview whether or not you get the post, and that it isn't the be all and end all. Good luck.
  • Options
    When you walk in and shake hands, don't do a shimmy and go 'heeeeey, macarana, aaaaaaalright'

Just a little tip