Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Chile

Comments

• Options
    Thing is Hodgson uses these games to see who could be strong enough but he needs to use them to weed out the shit that's already there.

Another toilet performance from Johnson, Smalling, Wilshere giving the ball away far too much again.

No point keep picking these players that are consistently shit.
  • Options
    edited November 2013

Beckford?

Think he means Welbeck.........close :0)
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited November 2013
    FFS
  • Options
    That was good.
  • Options
    Clueless, the back 5 were total shit tonight and the rest not much better. Poor tactics from Hodgeson didn't help.
  • Options
    Lallana the only positive.

Rodrigues got shit service and now won't be seen again. Johnson will be on the plane to Brazil tho.

Pretty pointless these friendlies.
  • Options
    I think it probably just goes to confirm what we all knew -the first XI is decent, if a bit workmanlike by international standards, and will at least give most teams a bit of game but the depth of English talent is very shallow right now and will be for at least another 5 or 10 years even if the elite player development whatsitsname works 100%.

Chile are decent but not really any more than the international equivalent of a Championship team.

If everyone is fit in the summer, we might make the Qtrs with a favourable draw. A couple of key injuries or get drawn in the 'group of death' and we'll be home before the knock out stages.
  • Options
    Can someone please remind me what Glen Johnson actually does? Absolutely useless!
  • Options
    Things could be worse though, we could be France.
  • Options
    Just got back to north greenwich after watching a total pile of shite, now sitting in traffic at O2 poxy bloody wrestling grown men still think its real ffs .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I think it probably just goes to confirm what we all knew -the first XI is decent, if a bit workmanlike by international standards, and will at least give most teams a bit of game but the depth of English talent is very shallow right now and will be for at least another 5 or 10 years even if the elite player development whatsitsname works 100%.

Chile are decent but not really any more than the international equivalent of a Championship team.

If everyone is fit in the summer, we might make the Qtrs with a favourable draw. A couple of key injuries or get drawn in the 'group of death' and we'll be home before the knock out stages.

This.
  • Options
    I agree. Our tournament depends on the draw and how lucky we get.

Not bothered about last night too much. He gets slated when he doesn't try new players and things and slated when he does.

He tried some players last night and it didn't work and we lost. Thats what friendlies are for. I think tuesday will be different.

• Options
    Probably being harsh but it seemed to be that Forster reacted slowly to the header and didn't dive at full stretch. Not a big Johnson fan but struggling to think of a better alternative, maybe Solly when he's back ;-) IF Wilshere can stay fit for any period of time, his driving runs from midfield will be a good option to have in the squad.
  • Options
    and agree it was a poor game. I would have preferred to see France get beaten haha
  • Options

I agree. Our tournament depends on the draw and how lucky we get.

Not bothered about last night too much. He gets slated when he doesn't try new players and things and slated when he does.

He tried some players last night and it didn't work and we lost. Thats what friendlies are for. I think tuesday will be different.

Agree (where they end up could have some bearing on how they will get on), England will be much better of in the south (Rio or Sao Paulo) as it's alot cooler then the north
  • Options
    Certainly tell which team was the more settled.

Cannot say anyone came out with great credit apart from Lallana but fair play to Chile.

Very good technically and took the chances.

I feel we'll put more into the Germany game with a stronger side.
  • Options
    So, without these "meaningless" friendlies, how would we know who can cut it, and who can't at international level? I think Woy would have learned a great deal about certain players last night.
  • Options
    bit worried about our defence. cahill and jones are to immobile. Johnson always looks like he will make a mistake at some point in the game. I guess jagielka would be first choice centre back but who else? smalling?
  • Options
    edited November 2013

So, without these "meaningless" friendlies, how would we know who can cut it, and who can't at international level? I think Woy would have learned a great deal about certain players last night.

Through competitive qualifiers, like we found out with Lambert.

You play one or two new players with the strongest side possible. These friendlies you get most of the first team pull out through injury and then it's a mix of new players, and it's not really a true reflection.

If Lambert had made his international debut last night, like Rodrigues did, then I don't think he would be anywhere near in the pecking order he is now.

Yet Johnson, Smalling and Jones have been given yet another chance to show they aren't good enough but will still be goin to Brazil.

I understand it's hard for Hodgson when the pool of players is quite small but as a supporter it's so frustrating to see players keep putting in crap performances but keep getting a game.
  • Options

We are expected to consider individual qualifying matches in the context of the tournament as a whole.

We are expected to consider individual friendlies in the context of the squad's on-going development.

What about some consideration for the public who make the effort to go along on the night - with all the cost that involves - shouldn't there be some serious effort to make sure that EVERY 90 minutes-worth is shown its own proper bit of respect ? The FA want the revenue, but how many England performances, especially at Wembley in recent years, have really been worthy of the name ? The public is invited to attend - can't see Roy playing matches behind closed doors - and they deserve a decent effort to repay their loyalty.

I go to plenty of England games - home and away - but rarely in anticipation of a rousing game, and rarely indeed are my low expectations pleasantly surprised for the better.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I agree with the last couple of sentences Gary, but the rest does not quite make sense. How can you be playing the strongest side possible if you are putting untried players in instead of, for example, the eleven players who won the previous game five nil? How would a two nil defeat go down with the press ( and the rest of us ) if the manager changed a winning team to try out two new players in a qualifier? Why is it okay for club sides play friendlies to try out players, but not international teams?
  • Options
    England were too rushed, too anxious, they lacked confidence .. and .. Roy should have picked another Southampton player, Nat Clyne .. he's in far better form then either Johnson or Walker
  • Options
    edited November 2013

I agree with the last couple of sentences Gary, but the rest does not quite make sense. How can you be playing the strongest side possible if you are putting untried players in instead of, for example, the eleven players who won the previous game five nil? How would a two nil defeat go down with the press ( and the rest of us ) if the manager changed a winning team to try out two new players in a qualifier? Why is it okay for club sides play friendlies to try out players, but not international teams?

Good point. My answer would be with so little game time available before the world cup, Possibly 4 games spread out over six months there is an argument that every game is vital and after a full qualification Roy should pretty much know the squad he is going to take and the friendlies should be geared towards that. Its not the same as club football where you have 38 games and can make adjustments throughout the season.

After the world cup would be better for experimenting in my opinion but i think Roy knows what he's doing and using this friendly as an experiment he may have learned a lot. They say you learn more from losing.
  • Options

Most of the team that beat Montenegro and Poland should have played last night, but with perhaps 2 or 3 new players in to see how they get on.

When players pull out left right and centre, and you are left with a second string XI with debutants in there, then the game becomes meaningless. Your judging the debutants at the international level but their not playing with the best team mates.

• Options

bit worried about our defence. cahill and jones are to immobile. Johnson always looks like he will make a mistake at some point in the game. I guess jagielka would be first choice centre back but who else? smalling?

The defending for the Chile 2nd goal would not be accepted at non-league level.

Even the goalie seemed to go down very early making it easy for Sanchez.

Nice finish though.

Think the defence generally lack pace and those that do like Johnson are poor defensive wise for International level.

• Options
    Thought Wilshere was pretty gash again, nowhere near as good as some of the press make out. Gave the ball away way too much, even when dribbling.

Also find it incredible how much Phil Jones divides opinion. Some think he's absolutely brilliant. Others, like me, think he's distinctly average with not one outstanding attribute to his game.
  • Options

Most of the team that beat Montenegro and Poland should have played last night, but with perhaps 2 or 3 new players in to see how they get on.

When players pull out left right and centre, and you are left with a second string XI with debutants in there, then the game becomes meaningless. Your judging the debutants at the international level but their not playing with the best team mates.

I see your point - it's not the friendly itself that is meaningless, it's the fact that an almost completely different side to the one that would be used in a competitive game is the one that takes the field?
  • Options
    Got to give Smalling and Jones time, they are both still very young. We had Ferdinand and Terry for so long we need to allow the youngsters time to grow into international football.
  • Options

I see your point - it's not the friendly itself that is meaningless, it's the fact that an almost completely different side to the one that would be used in a competitive game is the one that takes the field?
    Exactly.

Unless we start taking these games a bit more seriously, as in players not pulling out over a minor injury or playing a second string, then they will remain almost completely pointless.
  • Options

Exactly.

Unless we start taking these games a bit more seriously, as in players not pulling out over a minor injury or playing a second string, then they will remain almost completely pointless.
    Fully agree. The opposition certainly take every Wembley visit very seriously - it's no wonder that England struggle so often.