Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dehumidifiers - Quick question

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2013
    cafcbrown said:

Evening all,

Bit of advice needed please. I rent out a flat in Bexley, and the tenant has said she has started to get a bit of mould.

The walls affected are outside walls., if that helps.

I had the guttering done 3 years ago.

Is it worth me getting her a couple of dehumidifiers, before I get the roof looked at?
    Also, I have advised her to ventilate the rooms when using the shower, cooker etc, but not sure she is listening.

If the roof needs looking at, anybody on here local,I believe @delroofer is busy for the foreseeable future,,

Many thanks

Tony

I had a tenant who made similar complaints and gave them this leaflet. Luckily they modified their behaviour and there were no more issues. There are many such leaflets on this subject on the net.

http://www.eildon.org.uk/Upload/Documents/CondensationLeaflet_1.pdf
  • Options
    Thanks to @delroofer and @iainment for the advice, I will pass on to the tenant
  • Options
    Badger said:

I Live in a bungalow as was experiencing problems with Condensation and mould.

Had a pressure ventilation system installed which has stopped all the condensation and the mould has all cleard up, very cost effective to run. Expensive bit of kit but glad I got this installed.

Some great advice on here, thanks to all. I have had a long term condensation and mould problem. Had extractor fan installed in bathroom, trickle vents on the windows, always shut bathroom door and leave windows open. Much better but still have some problems particularly in my son's small room. What sort of cost is involved in installing pressure ventilation system. I have a 3 bed 1960's terraced house.
  • Options
    Our climate is so dry we have to have humidifiers, ours feeds into the furnace, so the air pumped around the house by the heating system at least has a bit of moisture. So dry here you could empty a bag of crisps onto a plate, leave them overnight and they'd still be perfectly crisp in the morning. Lack of humidity plays havoc with your skin and my guitars are humidified 24/7.
  • Options
    Nug said:

Badger said:

Had a pressure ventilation system installed which has stopped all the condensation and the mould has all cleard up, very cost effective to run. Expensive bit of kit but glad I got this installed.

Some great advice on here, thanks to all. I have had a long term condensation and mould problem. Had extractor fan installed in bathroom, trickle vents on the windows, always shut bathroom door and leave windows open. Much better but still have some problems particularly in my son's small room. What sort of cost is involved in installing pressure ventilation system. I have a 3 bed 1960's terraced house.
    Not sure what you might need to pay but I used this company Airtech but you could look around on the net, Airtech have a Freephone number 0800 378 017 or www.airtechenvironmental.co.uk
  • Options
    I know a few birds that could do with some of this advice. They must be mouldy the amount of time they've spent airtight.
  • Options
    Not the amount of time you have made them wet then?
  • Options
    Oakster said:

Our climate is so dry we have to have humidifiers, ours feeds into the furnace, so the air pumped around the house by the heating system at least has a bit of moisture. So dry here you could empty a bag of crisps onto a plate, leave them overnight and they'd still be perfectly crisp in the morning. Lack of humidity plays havoc with your skin and my guitars are humidified 24/7.

I went to St Paul, Mn, in the midwinter and found the dry atmosphere quite difficult until I acclimatised. Just turning round made me quite giddy.
  • Options
    Badger said:

Nug said:

Badger said:

Not sure what you might need to pay but I used this company Airtech but you could look around on the net, Airtech have a Freephone number 0800 378 017 or www.airtechenvironmental.co.uk
    Thanks Badger will look them up
  • Options
    Nug said:

Badger said:

Nug said:

Badger said:

Thanks Badger will look them up
    I have a possessive pressure system in a 1970 extension. Very helpful. I got mine installed by Envirovent for about £700. I have heard that they can now be fitted from about £500 due to competition.

Wouldn't call myself an expert but a part of my job is to offer advice on damp. Happy to send you info and chat through if you like. PM me with email.

The pdf link was good BTW.