Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jubilee Line Pub Crawl

2»

Comments

• Options
    Stig said:

Thanks very much for the comprehensive write up Viewfinder. For me, that historical/architectural background makes it all the more interesting. This is a major part of our heritage.

The St Stephen's Tavern, and The Red Lion just around the corner, were on my reserve list when I started this thread. But a couple of my colleagues and I sometimes work in Westminster, so we're already familiar with those. Without wanting to put anyone else off of posting, I think that there's more than enough pubs on the list not to go to these two now - perhaps they can be on the reserve list for when we start thinking about the Circle Line tour. Then again, we might not want to be so close to work ;-)

Glad you know the Westminster pubs, Stig - but the Red Lion with the Victorian mirrors isn't the one in Whitehall (a good pub, nevertheless), but the one between Piccadilly and St James's Square. All enthusiastic drinkers should enjoy London's superb historical pubs!

• Options
    Oops, my mad reading. That's good news then another Red Lion :-) Cheers!
  • Options
    For Baker Street I'd recommend the Allsopp Arms over The Globe. The Globe is expensive and often packed, the Allsopp is a nicer overall atmosphere
  • Options

Vincenzo said:

This thread has made me thirsty.

God, I love pubs!

best Guinness in London imo was served to me in the Tipperary on that old fleet street pub crawl and I go back there whenever I can,

It's all the same mate - not like brewed on site.
    Just comes out of a barrell.
  • Options

For the Southwark stop, have a pint at the Lord Nelson on Union St, looks like a real dive, but is a unique boozer...

Work right by it, Not my type of pub can see why some people may like it though. They started selling Horse Burgers just after the scandel with Tesco's which was quite funny.

• Options
    Nicholas said:

For the Southwark stop, have a pint at the Lord Nelson on Union St, looks like a real dive, but is a unique boozer...

Work right by it, Not my type of pub can see why some people may like it though. They started selling Horse Burgers just after the scandel with Tesco's which was quite funny.

What does it mean "unique" - is that good or bad?
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I think it's shit, but can see people liking it because it's different.

http://www.lordnelsonsouthwark.com/
  • Options
    Just read the OP, Central line pub crawl must've been messy! 49 stations, must've taken virtually all day?? Would be interested in the logistics of this, sounds like a way to spend a hot summers day.
  • Options
    Nicholas said:

it's not a bad place for a drink and a burger (horse or otherwise) but it's not a 'proper' pub. no real bar area. no heaters for the outside either (smoker). the people in there are a bit hipster but fortunately cos it's not north of the river their not too hipster.
    Its a colourful place though and the bar staff are friendly.
  • Options
    Circle line crawl is one interesting day!

Definately try and do that if you can
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I know that mate but I have had some rank guinness in this wonderful city and then the tipperary served me a pint that was as close to a paddy pint I ever have had

It must be in the pipe cleaning or something
  • Options
    Nicholas said:

Thanks Nicholas. Looking at that website, I'm not convinced that's what we'll be looking for really. Might have to test it out beforehand though ;-)

Had my first little sortie after work today, tried the three by Baker Street: The Allsop was ok, but probably (hopefully) won't make the final cut. The Thornberry Castle was just as described by Offy, so I reckon that will be in :-). Couldn't get near the bar of the Globe for England fans - definately won't go there if there's anything on at Wembley.
    eldavide said:

Just read the OP, Central line pub crawl must've been messy! 49 stations, must've taken virtually all day?? Would be interested in the logistics of this, sounds like a way to spend a hot summers day.

Not exactly, because the aim wasn't to visit every station but to find a handful of nice pubs. We spent nearly all day in the section between Holborn and St Pauls. Not much of a crawl, but we had a great time. There's some brilliant boozers in that part. Perhaps we'll go back and to a rest of the central line at some point.

Circle line crawl is one interesting day!

Definately try and do that if you can

The aim is to do them all, but I reckon that one will be a cracker.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Thanks very much to everyone who made suggestions. We went on the pub crawl last Friday, but things have been too hectic in Charltonland to post about it before now. As some of you suggested, the Jubilee line isn't perhaps the greatest line for a crawl; when doing my research I didn't find any pubs in East London I fancied and only a few in the north so I altered it to The South London Pub crawl. Taking in Greenwich and then a bit of the South Bank that was enough to cross the Jubilee off the list. Here's where we went.

Plume of Feathers, Greenwich. Nice pub spoiled only by the Palace scarf and pennant behind the bar. I kindly left a Charlton beermat on the table for them, but I suspect that was in the bin before I was in the next pub.
    Ye Olde Rose & Crown, Greenwich. The pumped beer was off!!!!
    Richard I, Greenwich. Lovely pub.
    Greenwich Union, Greenwich. Overpriced with poncy glasses, but the beer was lovely.
    The Market Porter, Borough. Good pub, but very crowded.
    The Rake, Borough. Excellent choice of beers.
    Rose & Crown, Southwark. Limited to Shepherd Neame beers. Sorry Kent fans, I've decided that SN are one of my least favourite real ale brewers.
    At this point we were going to go to the Kings Arms, Waterloo but it was so packed we couldn't get near.
    Instead we walked back over the river for one in The Blackfrair. Always good.

Best pub of the day: Richard I, Greenwich.
    Best selection of beer: The Rake. Definately want to spend longer in there, just sampling.
    Best beer of the day: Meantime India Pale Ale 7.5% (Greenwich Union). Pity they only sell it in ⅓rds, but at their prices I guess that's needed to save people from destitution rather than drunkenness.
    Surprisingly nice: Broughton Scottish Oat Stout (The Blackfriar). Only 4.2% but tastes more than that because of its thick texture.
  • Options
    Great stuff, Stig. As a Greenwich lad I'm glad you liked some of what you saw and tasted there; the Richard the First used to be my local. Don't be too hard on the Plume of Feathers - the Palace scarf belongs to the landlady's son, and he's actually a very decent chap. Honest...!
  • Options

Great stuff, Stig. As a Greenwich lad I'm glad you liked some of what you saw and tasted there; the Richard the First used to be my local. Don't be too hard on the Plume of Feathers - the Palace scarf belongs to the landlady's son, and he's actually a very decent chap. Honest...!

I don't know how far back you go but was that the one that used to be the Fox and Hounds, or is that the Union?
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

I don't know how far back you go but was that the one that used to be the Fox and Hounds, or is that the Union?
    The Union used to be Meantime, and before that, the Fox & Hounds (Charrington's) - right next door to the Richard the First (Young's) - so very handy for a crawl.

• Options

Huskaris said:

The Union used to be Meantime, and before that, the Fox & Hounds (Charrington's) - right next door to the Richard the First (Young's) - so very handy for a crawl.

The Union still is meantime isn't it? As in it's always been called the union, and it is a meantime pub? I don't even remember what Richard the First used to be. I used to live on Maidenstone hill when I was 6!
  • Options
    I don't know the history of it's name, but it is certainly a Meantime pub - their flagship, I believe.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

Huskaris said:

The Union still is meantime isn't it? As in it's always been called the union, and it is a meantime pub? I don't even remember what Richard the First used to be. I used to live on Maidenstone hill when I was 6!
    The Greenwich Union is indeed the only pub owned by Meantime Brewing Co., and for a short while was called Greenwich Meantime. The Richard the First, literally next door, is still known as "the Tolly" by older punters because it was tied to the Tolly Cobbold brewery of Ipswich until the early 1970s.