Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Curbs

Comments

• Options
    For once Keane made a decent point. Curbs will have to take a step back if he's going to manage a decent team again.
  • Options
    The first question at interview is probably, "Do you really want this job, Alan?" I doubt the answer is terribly convincing.
  • Options
    Would like to see Curbs manage again or would he consider a director of football job at a lower league club ? a bit like Lennie Lawrence. Agree that he has going to have take a step down to get back into the game.
  • Options
    Poor old Curbs
  • Options
    Interesting article, to a manager that will always be a charlton great to me.
    Be good to see curb's back into football, I think we all would like to see him do that, and succeed.
    Perhaps he is better off in the championship, build a decent team and go from there.
    Seem's to suffer from the 'nice,and sensible..... but boring' tag, simple because he has not worked at sexy club's,
    Manager's are often called in when a crisis is at a club, Curbs profile seems to be too low key. Wrong in my opinion, but my opinion does not count, blame the chairman of football clubs
    who want a 'magic wand' and instant results within two weeks!
  • Options
    Has anyone ever considered the possibility that Curbs might not want to manage again, but to admit this (he feels) is inappropriate?
  • Options
    I would like to see Curbs as our director of football or something similar
  • Options

This
  • Options
    I read that article two days ago and felt really sad for Curbs.The writer's made a few very good points. "Fall off the managerial merry-go-round and you'd best hop back on quick, otherwise you'll be left on the outside, gazing at the younger, more thrilling managers as they fall off their painted horses, and clamber back onto others."
    So painfully true.
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:

Has anyone ever considered the possibility that Curbs might not want to manage again, but to admit this (he feels) is inappropriate?

I thought that as well until I watched the MSN and SkySports videos in which he seemed (very) keen on the Palace job.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think the court case against West Ham made other Chairmen wary of him until he had been out of the game too long.

I wouldn't, necessarily, agree with it but one could make an argument that West Ham sold the players 'behind his back' because they needed money and Curbs' action was to walk away from the team (when they probably needed him the most) and sue the club for money, when they had just sold players because they were in financial trouble. I can see why a Chairman would need to be desperate to employ him after that.

As I say I'm not suggesting that this is my view, but I'm not the one paying a manager or bankrolling a football club.
  • Options

I would suggest he is more likely to be our next manager.

• Options
    Curbs involvement with Charlton is always welcome. He is a legend. I can see Curbs as Director of Football in the right set of circumstances.
  • Options
    I think he would undermine the manager unless they were recruited at the same time and in that situation I can't see why he wouldn't just be made the manager.
  • Options
    Curbs won't be our dof or mgr ever again
  • Options

This.

Also I don't want him back, been away too long the games basics change quickly.
  • Options
    Eventually people stopped linking george graham with jobs. But for a while he was second favourite for everything. It's true, once you are out for a while it's over.
  • Options
    There must be a need to have relationships with players, agents and other managers. The longer a manager is out of the game the more of those relationships he would lose, ad the less effective he would be at his job.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

This.

The game's basics never change.
  • Options

Eventually people stopped linking george graham with jobs. But for a while he was second favourite for everything. It's true, once you are out for a while it's over.

I heard he has pretty bad arthritis which has a lot to do with his departure from the game. That he didn't even know who as playing before he arrived at the studio is probably why he doesn't get much tv work either!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The first question at interview is probably, "Do you really want this job, Alan?" I doubt the answer is terribly convincing.

"P'raps."

• Options
    He would say someone should get it why not me
  • Options

I agree that the game's basics never change (ie winning) but tactics and players do. Towards the end of Curbs tenure he either played a 4-4-2 or a 4-5-1 but the game has moved as we have seen with SCP 3-5-2. More to the point I believe that it what has not been said/written has prevented Curbs from landing a new position ... he desire for TOTAL control. I remember reading an article some time ago (before the bust-up) in which Scottie Parker talked of his admiration for Curbs, but also commented on his tendency for control. Couple that with his tendency to fall-out with his more "creative" players, (ie. Euell, Parker, Jensen) Premier League owners will probably think twice about securing Curbs services. Players have too much control.

I think that Curbs would do wonders at a League 2 or League 1 outfit, instilling an winning ethos but then again, he's been there and done that and doesn't want to do that again.
  • Options
    edited November 2013

I agree that the game's basics never change (ie winning) but tactics and players do. Towards the end of Curbs tenure he either played a 4-4-2 or a 4-5-1 but the game has moved as we have seen with SCP 3-5-2. More to the point I believe that it what has not been said/written has prevented Curbs from landing a new position ... he desire for TOTAL control. I remember reading an article some time ago (before the bust-up) in which Scottie Parker talked of his admiration for Curbs, but also commented on his tendency for control. Couple that with his tendency to fall-out with his more "creative" players, (ie. Euell, Parker, Jensen) Premier League owners will probably think twice about securing Curbs services. Players have too much control.

I think that Curbs would do wonders at a League 2 or League 1 outfit, instilling an winning ethos but then again, he's been there and done that and doesn't want to do that again.

--

Agree with some of the sentiment, but you're not telling me 3-5-2 (for example) wasn't around back then too?! Course it was. Regardless, in the top flight, only Hull and sometimes Liverpool play a 3-5-2 formation anyway so I'm not sure that formation "changes" are as common as people make out. I also think people overstate the significance of being out the game for five years.

I do however think you make a valid point about him wanting/needing total control, and managers these days not always getting it (or being undermined, in the case of that tosser Pardew), though I'd like to think he has enough about him to adapt.

But the ball is still round, the goals are still rectangular, and the pitch still has grass on it - unless you're talking about The Valley.
  • Options
    I do however think you make a valid point about him wanting/needing total control, and managers these days not always getting it (or being undermined, in the case of that tosser Pardew), though I'd like to think he has enough about him to adapt.

But the ball is still round, the goals are still rectangular, and the pitch still has grass on it - unless you're talking about The Valley.

Agree with you totally, but it's not only the players undermining the manager these days but agents as well. A strategically placed article by an informed source ...

Curbs days at WHU make me wonder about his ability to adapt, perhaps it was too close from his time at the Valley. I hope, for his sake, that he can and finds a decent position.
  • Options

Yeah, but then he'd never put out his first choice interview and he'd be beaten to it by a lesser manager!
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

Yeah, but then he'd never put out his first choice interview and he'd be beaten to it by a lesser manager!

and people wonder why he has not had a job for so long 8)

• Options
    The memories are to be cherished. Curbs is the past, not the future.
  • Options
    I think that the situation says a lot about Alan's character. He did like control, he did fall out with a lot of players, he is basically I believe a very stubborn guy. Someone with my character would say ' I'll show you ', and then take on a Club at a lower level if needs be, based upon a competitive nature and a love of just being involved in the game. It takes all sorts, but I would like to see him back in the game.