Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The great British public.

2»

Comments

• Options

Never great to look on charities in that way. Some things mean more to different people.

Similarly, not fair to compare a national charity with a local one. There are many 'Demelzas' around the country.

Ok - how about the turnover for the National Charity - Action for Children? They used to be called National Childrens Homes amongst other Charity's which merged together.

Their turnover last year was £1m more than the Cats Protection League.

As I said, sometimes we get our priorities wrong.

• Options
    Noss said:

Addickted said:

That's what's wrong with Charity in this Country - we get our priorities wrong.

£37m for Cats and how much for Demelza?

Could you let us all know what our priories should be please? Would be most helpful. Thanks
    Children over cats, or donkeys, or dogs, or hamsters, or rabbits............

• Options
    Riviera said:

Noss said:

Riviera said:

I don't want to overdo the cynicism because the good certainly out ways the bad but it seems to me that too much money collected is earmarked for keeping these huge charities going in their huge offices with their highly paid CEO's.

But surely a big organisation - whether in the public, private or charitable sector - needs good people at the top, and we can't seriously expect such people to take significantly sub-market rate salaries. For example, Cats Protection (I've picked them as someone brought them up earlier) had a turnover of £37m last year, have around 9,000 staff and volunteers, and about 100 premises. Their CEO earns £100-110k. Personally - as someone who donates to them - I think that's good value.
    But my main point is, and I didn't want to come across as uncaring, there are too many different Cancer Charities. Surely we are spreading the money donated to help find a cure and prevention, and support to all the people affected by this horrendous disease, too thinly?
    I get your point. Generally speaking, smaller voluntary organisations tend to be good at harnessing enthusiastic amateurs without carrying a large administrative overhead and can be quick to adapt to changing circumstances. I'm sure if you spoke to a volunteer of a small, local charity that were were going to be absorbed into (say) Oxfam or the BRC, they would lose some of their drive, to say the least.

But having said that, it's unforgivable if two organisations are providing the same overlapping service and does nobody any favours. A few years ago Age Concern and Help The Aged merged for exactly this reason I believe.

I know nothing about cancer charities, but I'm guessing the key here will be using skilled medical professionals in research - I'm hoping that the work they do is not being duplicated across the sector?
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Good thread - and I agree, we're a very generous nation to those less fortunate than ourselves, whether human or animal.

Interesting link on the top 1,000 charities and their income and expenditure.

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2012/apr/24/top-1000-charities-donations-britain
  • Options
    There are approx 165,000 registered charities with a combined income of £60billion per year.
  • Options
    I have no idea whatsoever of admin costs etc, but my neighbour run a health care program in Tanzania for 25 years. He literally went to big companies and asked for money, done all the organization and paperwork himself etc. A 25 year program with little assistance...these facts make me question some charities overheads.
  • Options
    Anyone had a text from "Unicef" today? Deleted mine, I think it's a scam.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

No doubting people's generosity, whether by donating or collecting but there must be room for some amalgamation between some of the big charities. Some of the large well known charities employ a lot of staff including some highly paid senior executives but seem to be collecting for the same cause. I don't want to overdo the cynicism because the good certainly out ways the bad but it seems to me that too much money collected is earmarked for keeping these huge charities going in their huge offices with their highly paid CEO's. Indeed I am far more likely to donate to a local collector representing a small charity than to one of the very well known ones.

Teach a man to fish.and u eliminate key jobs in the UK chugger sector.

i exagerrate as is my wont but how does my 2 pound a month get to grassroots if ive gotta pay a clipboard brandishing militia 7 quid an hour.

Its sad but organisations such as www.kiva.org and www.myc4.com are still massively under publicised.

a man who cant fish doesnt want charity in 2013 he just wants the ceo,s of developed countries to play fair. And that naturally involves a charitable outlook at macro economic level

i strongly urge all yous.lot to check out.www.kiva.org

thinking and creativity like this can change our world for the better