Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

8 Haunting Photographs Of Derelict East London Pubs

2»

Comments

• Options
    Try to get a black cab to take you to Charlton or Woolwich. 'Sarf of the river Guv, Forget it'
  • Options

Try to get a black cab to take you to Charlton or Woolwich. 'Sarf of the river Guv, Forget it'

You obviously haven't hailed one for a while. No cabbies turn down fares these days.
  • Options

But does it matter if some people say east or south east...well obviously it does, but I can't understand why it should.

It matters (probably more to Londoners to be fair), because if you told someone you were from East London and you were, from say, Woolwich, it would be misleading. Yes, geographically Woolwich, Plumstead etc are east of London, but we're south of the river. The big divide! NLA is right, with the position from London City.
    To add to the confusion North Woolwich is in east London !.
    I remember reading that this did come under the juristiction of Woolwich council years ago. Not now though.

I believe that it used to be in Kent, when God was a boy. (Or girl, if it suits).
  • Options

But does it matter if some people say east or south east...well obviously it does, but I can't understand why it should.

It matters (probably more to Londoners to be fair), because if you told someone you were from East London and you were, from say, Woolwich, it would be misleading. Yes, geographically Woolwich, Plumstead etc are east of London, but we're south of the river. The big divide! NLA is right, with the position from London City.
    I remember reading that this did come under the juristiction of Woolwich council years ago. Not now though.

I believe that it used to be in Kent, when God was a boy. (Or girl, if it suits).

on old maps i think it's Middlesex!
  • Options

on old maps i think it's Middlesex!
    Just looked at wiki and it says Kent, but that proves nothing! Kent or Middlesex, either way it's a bit of an anomaly!
  • Options

Riviera said:

Woolwich and Charlton are more in the East of London than South or South East. You only have to look at a map. Forget postcodes and don't take the river as a dividing line between North and South becasuse it quite clearly isn't.

New one on me but I'll bite.
    I was born in Plumstead, to the best of my knowledge no one has ever said I come from east London.
    Plumstead is south of the Thames and east of Charing Cross. South East London is a discription that people would use, like wise for Charlton & Woolwich.
    Anything north of the Thames is the north.

I thought that made you Kentish.
  • Options
    Sorry.
  • Options
    My little local has just closed down, whenever I bump into people I was on nodding terms in there and ask where they drink now the answer is - "at home, 15 min walk to nearest pub, not worth it for a couple of pints after work" - such a shame, was a proper little community pub
  • Options
    I emailed the author of the piece, his opinion from his New York office, is below;

"Thanks Ian - they're east. Southeast, northeast... it's all east."

He's sorted out centuries of London identity for us, so that's all right then.
  • Options
    iainment said:

I emailed the author of the piece, his opinion from his New York office, is below;

"Thanks Ian - they're east. Southeast, northeast... it's all east."

He's sorted out centuries of London identity for us, so that's all right then.

A little local knowledge...

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    He's from or lives in Wanstead he tells me in his next email. And maintains East is East and Woolwich and Charlton are East London.

I replied thus;

You can't know many people from Woolwich or Charlton where the 2 photos were from. I guarantee none of them would consider themselves East Londoners. We're South Londoners. In the same way that those from Chelsea wouldn't consider themselves South Londoners even though they have a South London postcode - SW3.

• Options
    edited November 2013
    postcodes have little to do with it when it comes to the north south divide of london. it's the river that makes the divide.
    Anything below it is south.
    old London was mainly on the north of the river in the centre. as expansion of the city grew people moved further out and so did the city limits. those moving east of the centre became east Londoners. and anyone going west of the centre would be classed as west Londoners. Anyone north became north Londoners. but anyone venturing across the river would then became south Londoners.
    it's a simple natural boundary that is used for many divides/borders across the world.

it's nothing to get too upset about if someone mentions Charlton is in east London, it's just it isn't the correct answer according to what the majority have chosen to be the correct answer. A generalisation but never the less a very known and believed truth.
  • Options
    I hailed a cab in the City the other night.

"Where to guv?"
    "East London please"

As we were flying down the Mile End Road he says to me

"Whereabouts in East London guv?"
    "Eltham please"
    "Oh **** off Chirpy Red!"
  • Options

Woolwich was the only London borough that was on both sides of the river thames that changed around 1965 when the GLC during a borough revision gave North Woolwich to Newham .
  • Options
    We're really bumping up our reputation with this thread.

I'll get me Anorak coat.
  • Options

Woolwich was the only London borough that was on both sides of the river thames that changed around 1965 when the GLC during a borough revision gave North Woolwich to Newham .
    The London Borough of Richmond is on both sides of the Thames......
  • Options
    iainment said:

He's from or lives in Wanstead he tells me in his next email. And maintains East is East and Woolwich and Charlton are East London.

My work here is done.....
  • Options
    Riviera said:

iainment said:

And your reputation intact.

• Options
    Riviera said:

A

The London Borough of Richmond is on both sides of the Thames......

Yes Riviera you are correct (but only since april 1st 1965 ) perhaps Woolwich lost N Woolwich the same day
  • Options
    "when you come to the Watermans Arms you`ll hear a mighty roar---f++k off you Millwall bastards we are the Charlton boys"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Back on topic, one of the best websites out there: http://www.derelictlondon.com/londons-long-lost-sports-grounds.html
  • Options
    From what I was told is

From the city of london the postcodes were given

SE is southeast of the city of london for example

• Options

"when you come to the Watermans Arms you`ll hear a mighty roar---f++k off you Millwall bastards we are the Charlton boys"

always sung when we played Orient.
  • Options
    Rubbish. Doesn't even rhyme....
  • Options
    I lived directly opposite The Victoria for the first 14 years of me life. (648 Woolwich Road), the old gaff was knocked down to build a basketball court, from where the local drug dealers could knock out their wares
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

I lived directly opposite The Victoria for the first 14 years of me life. (648 Woolwich Road), the old gaff was knocked down to build a basketball court, from where the local drug dealers could knock out their wares

and they still do, It's where the kids from the new college get their `blem'.
  • Options

Riviera said:

iainment said:

And your reputation intact.

It's like watching two bald men fight over a comb... ;-)