Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Johnnie Jackson on contract stuff

edited November 2013 in General Charlton
http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/johnnie-jacksons-hoping-to-sort-out-new-deal-with-charlton-8946880.html
“This has been the best part of my career and I want that to continue. I have still got a lot of football left in me and hopefully it will be here at Charlton."

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2013
    I suppose Johnnie may have to prove his fitness first before being offered a new contract.
  • Options
    Get him signed up, he is vital for us.
  • Options
    Love Jacko to bits.

Proper Captain.
  • Options
    They're all being urged to talk publicly now it seems.
  • Options
    WSS said:

this this and this
  • Options
    WSS said:

Was thinking the same

Who next?

• Options
    Keep in mind though that as one or two of them say things publicly (as JJ and SCP) now have, then it alerts other journalists who may have not otherwise been aware. It will be the first question on their lips from here on out.
  • Options
    Have to feel sorry for him if this is the best part of his career !
  • Options
    Manager and Captain leading by example on behalf of the others...get them signed!
  • Options
    He did captain a team who went on to win a league trophy. There are many professionals who would love to do the same
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    shine166 said:

Whereas your career in comparison .......

(smiley winky)
  • Options
    He'll be 32 at the start of next season so you can partly understand the club's reticence in his specific case (although he's younger than Kermorgant).

However given his game has plainly never been built upon pace, I wonder how long he could play at this level for assuming he stays fit?
  • Options
    Off_it said:

shine166 said:

Whereas your career in comparison .......

(smiley winky)
    haha its all relative :)
  • Options

He'll be 32 at the start of next season so you can partly understand the club's reticence in his specific case

Not really NYA.

He is key staff, the skipper. One that's done a fine job both as a player and a leader. It's been clear there has been a fantastic team spirit over the last few years. He's played a big part in that, not just in terms of keeping the spirit good, but also on more than one occasion ensuring any negatively from those on the fringes hasn't had a big impact. He also weighed in with a goal tally from midfield last season which may have seen us in relegation trouble had he not,

If there is concerns on his long term fitness, then offer him a deal that reflects that as a starting point. But keep him onside, in the loop. He's earned that.

• Options
    I would say newyork has it spot on, also nothing seems to be happening at times although I doubt that is the case.
  • Options
    I think it would be a mistake not offering Johnnie an extended contract, but who knows whats going on behind the scenes?
  • Options

nothing seems to be happening at times although I doubt that is the case.

Jackson (and others) said a fortnight ago at Eltham Addicks that nothing has been said to them.

• Options
    At 32 and settled, i'd imagine the club are in no rush to get a contract sorted yet as the danger of him moving is small.
  • Options
    in the context of all the other younger players also not getting offers can't agree
  • Options

At 32 and settled, i'd imagine the club are in no rush to get a contract sorted yet as the danger of him moving is small.

I would suggest that there would be quite large number of clubs in the championship willing to give JJ a couple of years. We are barking mad to risk losing him and a few others.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2013

I would suggest that there would be quite large number of clubs in the championship willing to give JJ a couple of years. We are barking mad to risk losing him and a few others.

As club captain you would think he would be one of the top earner here, so not many champ clubs are gonna want to or be able to pay that much wage wise for a 32 year old.

Even if there was, JJ is unlikely to want to up sticks and move.

My point is that he's probably not in the 'urgent' category just yet.
  • Options
    His age is a factor as is his fitness but I disagree about Location. How many other clubs are there close to the M25 that he could move to? quite a few I'd suggest.
  • Options

As club captain you would think he would be one of the top earner here, so not many champ clubs are gonna want to or be able to pay that much wage wise for a 32 year old.

Even if there was, JJ is unlikely to want to up sticks and move.

My point is that he's probably not in the 'urgent' category just yet.
    If we leave it until after Christmas he can then talk to other clubs, we are probably amongst the lower paid in the Championship & if someone came in offering more & perhaps a 3 year deal while we dither he may just think about moving on especially if the board decide not to give him a deal until next summer.
  • Options
    He deserves another year. People bang on about him being slow but how many times has he came up with an important goal when the forwards havent delivered. Always looked like a player who knows what it means to the fans. Definetely a better team with JJ in the team.
  • Options
    One of the few players we have capable of scoring a goal and that's ignoring his massive influence elsewhere on the team and squad.

Sign him up.
  • Options
    Would sign JJ in a heartbeat injury problems or not but don't think he would look to leave unless we offered him silly money

Plenty of time I trust the board to get it done
  • Options
    JJ is a key member of the team, as showed by the goal he scored against Leeds. Yes, it was Church who did the work, but it's no coincidence that the player with the 'simple' 2 yard tap in was JJ, he really has the instinct to get into dangerous positions in the box, something that's really missed when he doesn't play.

Losing him I suspect would also dent morale, as he seems a real figurehead for the team.
  • Options
    Get Jacko signed up... He's the best leader we've had on the pitch since Kinsella

Legs may not be as quick as they used to be but he must be a huge influence around the dressing room and like with Andy Hughes we just cant turn our backs on that sort of experience especially as we've so many kids coming through at the moment.

Would love to see him stay at the Valley for the rest of his career and go into a coaching role (if thats what he wants to do)

If we dont give him a new Contract then there will definitely be a few clubs sniffing around him (not to mention Colchester and Notts County possibly)
  • Options
    What is there to consider-- Jacko's totally Charlton,a great leader,we can't afford to let him slip from our club.
  • Options

Would sign JJ in a heartbeat injury problems or not but don't think he would look to leave unless we offered him silly money

Plenty of time I trust the board to get it done

I'm with you Southend.

Completely confident that he will still be with us next season.