Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gibraltar

2»

Comments

• Options
    Thanks, but I lived there for 2 years.
  • Options

No. This was their first game since he quit.
    Play their home games in Portugal - work that out !

Assuming you don't really know the situation Phil, Spain think Gib should be their territory, because it is attached to their country, but their enclaves on a different continent ( Melila and Cueta ) are apparently perfectly fine. But that's another issue...

The Victoria Stadium is not up to holding proper international fixtures, and in fairness the Gib FA have been fucking about and have had quite a lot of time to deal with the situation. However, in the meantime, UEFA have been patient and due to said issues with Spain, Gib can't play home games in an adjacent Spanish stadium. So the closest stadium outside Spain that fits UEFA standards is The Algarve Stadium, which is where they play qualifiers at the moment.

I think UEFA may lose patience with Gibraltar if they don't get a stadium sorted in their country soon, and as much as I love the place, be it on their own head...
    Can Gib really afford to upgrade their Victoria Stadium though ?

• Options
    Some plans and pictures of the proposed new stadium on here - http://europapointstadium.com/

Pretty spectacular setting.
  • Options

Assuming you don't really know the situation Phil, Spain think Gib should be their territory, because it is attached to their country, but their enclaves on a different continent ( Melila and Cueta ) are apparently perfectly fine. But that's another issue...

The Victoria Stadium is not up to holding proper international fixtures, and in fairness the Gib FA have been fucking about and have had quite a lot of time to deal with the situation. However, in the meantime, UEFA have been patient and due to said issues with Spain, Gib can't play home games in an adjacent Spanish stadium. So the closest stadium outside Spain that fits UEFA standards is The Algarve Stadium, which is where they play qualifiers at the moment.

I think UEFA may lose patience with Gibraltar if they don't get a stadium sorted in their country soon, and as much as I love the place, be it on their own head...

MrLargo said:

Some plans and pictures of the proposed new stadium on here - http://europapointstadium.com/

Pretty spectacular setting.

Thanks for that. Very impressive.

• Options

It is a very affluent part of the world and the Gibraltar authorities are awash with money. There's uncertainty of course with Brexit and how it might affect the Gibraltar economy, but there is also confidence that any issues arising can and will be resolved.
  • Options
    The plans for Europa point were apparently scrapped last year when the GFA announced they were buying Victoria Stadium.

As bob says, no shortage of cash in Gib, how much of that can be syphoned into a new stadium is a moot point...
  • Options

The plans for Europa point were apparently scrapped last year when the GFA announced they were buying Victoria Stadium.

As bob says, no shortage of cash in Gib, how much of that can be syphoned into a new stadium is a moot point...

Surely half the problem is having the space to put a stadium.
  • Options

Just done a quick satellite view on Google Maps. Europa Point is the only feasible location, unless they do something clever on the site of the existing ground and encroach into the surrounding area.
  • Options
    Just bulldoze that big rock and they'll have plenty of space
  • Options
    Think of the barbary apes, FA. We'll have to give the whole place back to Spain if they go, so the legend says.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrLargo said:

Think of the barbary apes, FA. We'll have to give the whole place back to Spain if they go, so the legend says.

They can add to the attendance in the Stadium... Small place like that cant have very many fans!!

Do I seriously have to think of everything?
  • Options

Last time I was there it was a cricket ground at that location, the space is there. The logistics of getting a few thousand fans from one end of the country to the other through a very crowded city is one of the major drawbacks...
  • Options
    33/1 before kick off

5 minutes to go beating Armenia 1-0 away.

Could be their best result ever
  • Options
    Gibraltar won 1-0
  • Options
    Result! Well done Gib. Shocking possession stats... :smiley:
  • Options

Result! Well done Gib. Shocking possession stats... :smiley:

Thanks Karl
  • Options
    Gibraltar were like a rock
  • Options
    Am I being thick?
    Isn’t it the same tune as ours?
  • Options
    Bugger me, they've only gone and done it again...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Bugger me, they've only gone and done it again...

Typical. You wait 22 games for a competitive victory and then two come along in the space of four days.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45871728
  • Options
    There will be doing a conga across the runway when the team gets back.

Meanwhile, their former keeper made the Sunday papers when scoring with a long range effort for Dartford last week. His second in 2 years.
  • Options

There will be doing a conga across the runway when the team gets back.

Meanwhile, their former keeper made the Sunday papers when scoring with a long range effort for Dartford last week. His second in 2 years.

It was at home in Gibraltar mate, I was there to see it. Second real home game they've had, they don't have to travel to Faro for home games any more.
  • Options
    Great to see the two chipolina boys in a double winning side at last.

Rock and Chips,
    What a caper,
    That should be served
    In yesterdays sports paper.