Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Training Ground Help: Is there a bricklayer in the house ?

2»

Comments

• I'm happy to chip in some dosh Fanny, but I couldn't lay bricks to save my life.
  • Davo55 said:

I'm happy to chip in some dosh Fanny, but I couldn't lay bricks to save my life.

Thanks to Davo,T.C.E, sjh, nla et al. What a great lot you are.

Let's just see what transpires over the next few days. Still waiting for news re the Ruxley meet up to discuss the plans in general.

• If we don't manage to get a volunteer, then I was thinking about asking Henry if he would auction JJ's signed shirt I won on here to raise funds for the job.

Why not just ask for donations ?

Inbox me an address and I ll send a donation towards the cost.

• I know a few brickies that are coming home for Christmas from Oz so I'll get on email.
  • Thanks, Curb_it- sounds great !

And to you, Starinnaddick . I'll get back to you when we're closer to sorting this.
  • No joy with a brickie as yet.
    Who knew they were in such a short supply?!
  • Curb_It said:

No joy with a brickie as yet.
    Who knew they were in such a short supply?!

Indeed, Curb_it !

Was going to wait until after Sunday to post an update, but had a brief meeting pre match last night with BK re the dinner & mentioned the brickie situation. He's given me his assurance that he'll speak with someone who he's certain will help us on this one and let me know in the next few days . So, good news hopefully on the horizon !

Maybe any generously offered donations from our special Lifers might go towards plants etc as mooted once before on here. As I told Ben, the aim is to complete this makeover with minimal inroads into SCP's Training Ground , limited budget. Hoping to have a long awaited meeting at Ruxley next Tues morning so will post the outcome afterwards.

Many thanks for keeping this issue current.

• Thats good. If you go down the road of donations, if people want to use the same account as the shirt sponsorship to make a small donation then i could transfer to you after.
  • Curb_It said:

Thats good. If you go down the road of donations, if people want to use the same account as the shirt sponsorship to make a small donation then i could transfer to you after.

That would be a great help, thanks as always.

• i will meet you and give you cash fanny, if that's ok
  • Sponsored links:

• i will meet you and give you cash fanny, if that's ok

Oooer, nla ! Behind the bike shed ????

But thanks !

• If labour is needed and it's a weekend thing then i'll give a hand if needed
  • edited November 2013
    Curb_It said:

Thats good. If you go down the road of donations, if people want to use the same account as the shirt sponsorship to make a small donation then i could transfer to you after.

Fanny, Curb_it

Can you give some idea of the level of donations we would need to make? Obvious answer is " what you can afford" of course but, for example, 50 of us chipping in £25 each gives £1250. Sound about right? Then if any of us are ok to give more, all to the good.
  • anywhere you want fanny wink wink
  • Davo55 said:

Curb_It said:

Fanny, Curb_it

Can you give some idea of the level of donations we would need to make? Obvious answer is " what you can afford" of course but, for example, 50 of us chipping in £25 each gives £1250. Sound about right? Then if any of us are ok to give more, all to the good.
    OMG ! I'm filling up ! This was NOT the intention of my original post but it's so gratifying to hear this sort of response - you are truly special people. At this rate, we'll be making a bid for the Club !!

Let me speak to this guy that BK knows ( prob at the dinner) , have the meeting at Ruxley ( who may match £ for £ what we spend there) and see where we are after that. By this time next week, things should be a lot clearer and rest assured, I'll keep everyone updated as soon as I possibly can.

Thanks to everyone again, inc Greenie junior and others for offering their services.

Jean
    x

( And thanks to nla for constantly boosting my flagging morale ...or should that be morals ?)

• Any news/update.
  • Don't expect anything definite before the beginning of next week, badger but thanks for checking the thread.
  • Thought it was about time for an update on the Memorial Garden project.

Not too much progress has been made since I last posted on this thread but that's mainly due to the apocalyptic weather we've been experiencing of late.

During December we met with our contact at Ruxley and had a brief discussion about the shrubs & plants were are seeking to buy. At that time, the area usually given over to shrubs & trees had been cleared for the "ice rink" & we were advised to meet up again in the NY. Rob currently has this on his "to do" list but the state of the pitches at both SL and The Valley are taking priority at present.

Meanwhile, Mr F and myself made a trip to our local B&Q where we picked up several trays of pansies & primroses which we planted in the 2 beds and in 6 tubs that Rob had discovered hidden away somewhere. We also managed to find some very cheap daffodil bulbs ( cheap because it was at least 4 weeks since the advised last date for planting!) and I ordered some low growing red tulips & narcissi for the tubs (more bargain basement goods!) culminating in a trip to SL for a mega plant up ....

But the best laid plans etc ...Mr F discovered that the water table was only a couple of inches below the surface, making the planting of bulbs impossible. Doh ! So, as it stands at the minute, come Spring, we should see 6 beautiful tubs full of flowers but very little else unless we invest in some water lilies and goldfish !

However, the inclement weather meant we were able to bring in turn each of the 2 wooden benches home to our garage for rubbing down & revarnishing ( several coats needed) and both are now back in hibernation at SL awaiting drier conditions before making their debut in the garden. The plan is to relay some of the paving stones there to provide a stable surface for the benches to sit on - but we need things to dry out before this can be dealt with.

The good news is that we have made contact ( thanks to Ben K & NSS) with someone who will be able to help us with building the wall so it may be just the materials for such that will need to be purchased. A site meeting will be set up in the next few weeks, when( yes, you've guessed!) the surrounding area dries out.

With the prospect of buying shrubs in the near future, I have requested the £250 donated by the FF so that we shall have funds readily available when making the purchase. I'll sort some basic book keeping on this /keep receipts etc of course. Regarding cash for future purchases, especially materials for the wall, I discussed this with Ben Kensell and the idea of a bucket collection at the Bournemouth game was mentioned, with proceeds to be split between our project and the Museum. However, when the takeover appeared to be ever closer, we decided to put this on hold pro tem as Ben pointed out that the new owner might prioritise different issues at the Club to those of the outgoing "regime" & hence it would be sensible to adopt a "wait & see" policy at this stage. I also intend to put JJ's signed shirt on here for auction and since Christmas, my son has donated a brand new piece of audio equipment called the Minx from Richer Sounds (RRP £99.99) which anyone interested might like to google as I know nothing about it !( something to do with Bluetooth ??) So, watch this space ...

I hope that covers everything to date and want to thank everyone for their ongoing interest in this project. Hopefully in the not too distant future, we'll have a decent backdrop for all those interviews as we storm up the Championship !

Jean

• Thanks for the update Jean/Fanny. All sounds good and I think it's remarkable that you have already done a lot despite the terrible weather. Still happy to chip in if you find the other fund raising ideas don't yield as much as hoped, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.
  • Thanks, Davo. It's much appreciated.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2014
    I have 1 maybe 2 good condition Tom Tom sat nav XLs for auction FF.
    Baileys at the training ground tomorrow, would you like a smallish bag of fertilizer? ;)
  • T.C.E said:

Baileys at the training ground tomorrow, would you like a smallish bag of fertilizer? ;)

You smooth talking bastard ;0)

• T.C.E said:

That's a great offer, T.C.E . Might even bid for one of those for Mr F...

I'll keep you in the loop regarding the fund raising.

• I'll have to find them !!