Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Allo Allo

I see that they are currently filming a "one-off special" - 15 years after the last series ended.

Why?

It ranks right up there alongside "Last of the Summer Wine" as one of the most cringingly dreadful but somehow popular "comedy" series of all time. Total and absolute garbage!!!

Comments

• I would disagree that it was dreadful. It looks very dated now, but it was a traditional sitcom which was very silly but well put together.

Interestingly i understand that the Beeb is looking at a return to traditional sitcoms over the next few years.
  • It was just slapstick silliness, wasn't it?

Most of the broadcasters have struggled to find decent ideas for prime-time sitcoms over the past decade or so - when was the last time you watched a BBC1/ITV1 sitcom and laughed? So they're starting to recycle a few old ideas.
  • All entertainment is recycled. Music, films, comedy.
  • Secret Army. Great drama
  • far better than last of the summer wine...

:)
  • that Mobile programme last night. would it have been better to have seen the first episode. what did i miss, beelzebub?
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]I see that they are currently filming a "one-off special" - 15 years after the last series ended.

Why?

It ranks right up there alongside "Last of the Summer Wine" as one of the most cringingly dreadful but somehow popular "comedy" series of all time. Total and absolute garbage!!![/quote]

Totally agree. First series of Last of the Summer Wine was OK...after that, the Beeb flogged it mercilessly and it just got crapper and crapper...IMHO Allo Allo was trash from the start.

The Office and (some of) Extras made me titter (esp Sir Ian Mackellan in Extras - classic comedy). Perhaps the return of Alf Garnett would spice things up?? ;-)
  • first series of last of the summer wine was what date?
  • 1973. God I'm getting old...
  • And ran for 24 series's.

Unbelievable!
  • Sponsored links:

• was jack bauer in it?
  • Not sure that JB's interrogation techniques would have gone down too well in Holmfirth

Chloe O'Brien as the modern day Norah Batty??
  • Just another sign of the depressing lack of innovation and originality in todays TV production world, not to mention a desperate lack of balls from the broadcasters themselves. Jeez, look how little money there was in the 80's compared to today and then look at how much great TV the UK produced then as compared to now. The only comedic exception to the above is Gervais and Merchant, IMHO.
  • Arthur Bostrom who played the Gendarme had the best supporting part in any sitcom, 'I was just pissing by the door' has to be one of the best pre-watershed lines ever!!!

If you want a sitcom of utter tosh pick from any of these, Terry and June, Open all Hours, Keeping Up Appearances, the list goes on.

Allo Allo was the nuts!!!
  • looking back at our sit coms,they were shite.this great british sense of humour seems like scousers imforming us how funny they are.we have become them.
  • [cite]Posted By: bibble[/cite]Arthur Bostrom who played the Gendarme had the best supporting part in any sitcom, 'I was just pissing by the door' has to be one of the best pre-watershed lines ever!!!

If you want a sitcom of utter tosh pick from any of these, Terry and June, Open all Hours, Keeping Up Appearances, the list goes on.

Allo Allo was the nuts!!!

I beg to differ on Open All Hours. I think that was a fantastic show. Certainly it deserves better than being lumped in with T&J and Keeping up appearances.
  • Open all Hours, Keeping Up Appearances, Last Summer Wine all crap, all written by the same bloke, Roy Clarke. How on earth he got away with it for so long I'll never know.

To put some faith back into Brit sitcoms, catch a couple of episodes of Porridge. They're usually on UKGold. Pure genius.
  • [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]I see that they are currently filming a "one-off special" - 15 years after the last series ended.

Why?

It ranks right up there alongside "Last of the Summer Wine" as one of the most cringingly dreadful but somehow popular "comedy" series of all time. Total and absolute garbage!!!

here here, agree dood
  • Everyone finds different things funny. Monty Python left a lot of people cold others found it hilarious. Little Britain has a similar effect nowadays.

I was never a fan of the suburban middle class sit com i.e the Terry and June genre but other sitcoms have been classics. In no particular order: Please Sir, On The Buses, Steptoe and Son, Dads Army, Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em, Citizen Smith, Till Death Us Do Part, Porridge, Fools And Horses and perhaps the best of all Fawlty Towers to name ten.

So in answer to Peakey I think there IS a great British tradition of sitcoms but in recent years the quality has not been as good with the honourable exception of The Office if that counts as sitcom.
  • [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]To put some faith back into Brit sitcoms, catch a couple of episodes of Porridge. They're usually on UKGold. Pure genius.
    Fully agree re. Porridge, but everyone's missed the genius that was "Yes, Minister" & "Yes, Prime Minister".
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2007
    no,there are a couple of decent ones.i'd add rising damp and father ted to your list .but i reckon you could have 20 very bad ones from the last 10 years alone.i just meant that we aren't as funny as we think.

ricky gervais doesn't do it for me,he's a very poor mans larry david.
  • George and Mildred.
    loved it.
  • [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]George and Mildred.
    loved it.

George Roper is an absolute hero. Homer Simpson is such an obvious rip off!
  • I remember seeing a clip of ..Summer Wine in black and white, does that predate '73?
  • [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]I remember seeing a clip of ..Summer Wine in black and white, does that predate '73?

It did start in '73. The BBC still broadcast the odd programme in B&W then but I doubt LOSW was one. More than likely the telly you saw it on!
  • deffo remember it..
  • Well check out this link. At the top it says Colour. If you check out other shows then it says B/W where applicable. Dads Army for example, it lists the number in B/W and those in Colour.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/guide/articles/l/lastofthesummerw_7774090.shtml
  • how strange, fairly recently too..
  • [cite]Posted By: orpingtonaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]I see that they are currently filming a "one-off special" - 15 years after the last series ended.

Why?

Totally agree. First series of Last of the Summer Wine was OK...after that, the Beeb flogged it mercilessly and it just got crapper and crapper...IMHO Allo Allo was trash from the start.

The Office and (some of) Extras made me titter (esp Sir Ian Mackellan in Extras - classic comedy). Perhaps the return of Alf Garnett would spice things up?? ;-)

love thy neighbour, now would spice things up.