Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is this the worst strike force ever ?

Mr. Church gambolling like a Spring lamb, going nowhere. Mr.Sordell giving us another fruitless cameo. Only Yann looking good on his own. Frankly, I don't care if Michael Smith is not ready, he can't be any worse than those two. The thought of our current attacking performances makes me glad that I have to work Tuesday evening. Anyone up for watching paint dry ?

Comments

• Options
    izale mcleod.

that is all.
  • Options

izale mcleod.

that is all.

• Options
    Barry Endean
    Kenny Achampong
    Dickie Plumb

The list goes on......................
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Strike force what strike force, it only becomes a strikeforce 2 mins from the end when a second striker comes on and when the games over.
  • Options
    Nicky Forster. Akpo Sodje. The list, depressingly, goes on. Anyone thinking this group of strikers is our worst ever needs to have a little think.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Yes there have been worse and not that long ago - Forster, Sodje, Abbott, Benson, McLeod, Andy Gray, Dickson, Mooney inter alia.

Whether they ever achieved as meagre a tally as the 12 goals we've managed in 15 games this season is a different question. It's more than the strike force - it's a lack of goals from midfield, too. When we had the shower named above up front, we at least had the likes of Wagstaff , Shelvey and Jackson contributing a few goals from deeper positions. That seems to have dried up as well.
  • Options
    Mooney was only ever a sub for Inter Alia

:)
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

Barry Endean
    Kenny Achampong
    Dickie Plumb

What was wrong with Dick Plumb

• Options
    With the honourable exception of Chris Iwelumo, you can list any of Pardews "strikers".

Not forgetting when we played David Campbell who was really a midfielder, up front in the top division. Not exactly Alan Shearer it has to be said.

Don't know how that collection compares with the current lot but fthere's been some fairly grim viewing over the years.
  • Options
    No, it isn't.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    dickplumb said:

Kap10 said:

Barry Endean
    Kenny Achampong
    Dickie Plumb

What was wrong with Dick Plumb

Whoops, I respectfully withdraw your name!
  • Options
    Pavel Abbot and Izale McLeod
  • Options

Pavel Abbot and Izale McLeod

You took the words out of my mouth.
  • Options
    Pawel Abbott only played one decent game and that was the last game, when he was playing for a contract back in Poland and knew he was being watched by his prospective employers.

• Options
    If we have Yann fully fit and in form then it really does change everything.

However our attacking line up last year (Kermorgant, Haynes, Fuller, Wright-Phillips) was very, very good for us.
  • Options
    Lots of poor strikers mentioned, but sadly Church is one of their number.
  • Options
    Think my ipad is on the blink..... if I believe whats coming up, no one has mentioned Mike Small yet.
  • Options
    Said it before Church is not the type of playing who can play up front on his own, If he played upfront with Yann you would see a different player Sordell can get lost back to bolton tho
  • Options
    It doesn't seem long ago that we were saying the same thing about the likes of Pawel Abbott and Leon Clarke. The fact of the matter is that any decent strikers soon get signed up by a Premiership club, which means you are left with just a few good ones knocking around. All that most Championship clubs can realistically hope for, unless you have QPR's money, is that you find an average striker who is on form, an upcoming youngster who has not been snapped up yet or a player who happens to fit in well with the team's style of play. Kermorgant, Church and Sordell strike me as a pretty average for the division we are in.
  • Options
    are we talking about the Leon Clarke & David Mooney who have both got into double figures this season - albeit for teams in a lower division. Maybe its not the player that is crap but the manager or the system they play for............
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Paul gorman..
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    It's not the worst by any stretch, Abbott and Sodje must take that award if we are talking about the last few years and there have been many candidates.

Church is a real team player but will struggle to get double figures and cannot play on his own. Church and Yann have not really had a run of games together so it will be interesting to see how they do, from memory they started the home game against Leicester and did very well.

Yann is getting back to fitness so all being well, will be the old Yann very soon.

Not so Marvellous Marvin has not really impressed anyone and does not look particularly interested and certainly does not the same player he did at Watford only two years ago. Maybe he will turn things around but would not put money on it.

We definitely need another option and the strike force is a weak area, Harry Kane on-loan perhaps.
  • Options
    Mike Small. Johnny Ostergaard. But McLeod considering how much we paid, no contest.
  • Options
    Franck Nouble
  • Options
    Jeffers, Gray, JFH, and Marcus Bent
  • Options

are we talking about the Leon Clarke & David Mooney who have both got into double figures this season - albeit for teams in a lower division. Maybe its not the player that is crap but the manager or the system they play for............

Give it a rest, Dave Mooney, him getting into double figures just shows how crap League 1 is this season. I would rather any of our strikers now over him any day of the week.
  • Options

Mike Small. Johnny Ostergaard. But McLeod considering how much we paid, no contest.

agreed. was it 2 million we paid for him? Never seen a footballer less interested in being on a football pitch than izale.
  • Options
    Izale McClown is comfortably the worst player I have seen In a charlton shirt. And I've seen a few......
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    No, give me a break, Mooney (don't give a toss what he is doing at Orient, Abbott( Not Russ but close), Dicky Plumb (no offence to the CL one), Ron Saunders weren't that special, but the best ones ah....... Firmani, Leary, Summers, Walsh (Paul), Hales, Flanagan, Mendonca, Hunt, JFH, BWP and last but not least Superyann. Apologies to any favourites overlooked but they will be brought to my attention soon, for that I am sure :0)
  • Options
    LOL at anyone mentioning David Mooney could do a job for us.

The problem is our service and build up play is woeful and defenders at this level have a cigar on against it.