Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tonight's attendance

Anyone know if the club will calculate tonight's attendance based upon tickets sold, even though a substantial number of people who attended the original game won't be there?

Given the season ticket holder turnout is likely to be poor too given weather and opposition, they could end up announcing a crowd of 14,000+ despite only 8-9,000 likely to be in the ground.

Comments

• Options
    as there is a takeover in the offing, won't they just make it up like they usually do?

• Options
    Will they not have refunded the tickets for any of those that now don't want to attend? If so, presumably, they will have to take them off the calculation?
  • Options
  • Options

Will they not have refunded the tickets for any of those that now don't want to attend? If so, presumably, they will have to take them off the calculation?

Might be wrong but I don't think they offered refunds but allowed ticketholders 'free' entry tonight.
  • Options
    Macronate said:

as there is a takeover in the offing, won't they just make it up like they usually do?

Hopefully the owners will have the intelligence not to invite any prospective investors to tonight's game but wait instead until Saturday. The sight of nearly 20,000 empty seats might literally complete their due diligence.

• Options

Might be wrong but I don't think they offered refunds but allowed ticketholders 'free' entry tonight.

Surely if you had a ticket for the original game but can't make the rearranged game, then they have to offer you a refund?
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    was this the match that was football for a fiver first time around?
  • Options
  • Options

Surely if you had a ticket for the original game but can't make the rearranged game, then they have to offer you a refund?
    I suspect the bylaws allow them to claim that refunds are no longer due after a certain amount of play has taken place (similar to the rules at cricket, tennis etc.). Some conspiracy theorists might claim that was why they returned briefly after half-time.
  • Options
    edited November 2013

was this the match that was football for a fiver first time around?

No, it was football for fifty-five minutes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2013

was this the match that was football Water Polo for a fiver first time around?

No, it was Water Polo for fifty-five minutes.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
  • Options
  • Options
    I reckon the actual attendance will be 12-13K tonight...
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I remember a suggestion at the time that the game was allowed to carry on past half time so as to prevent having to refund tickets. I also remembered (and I've checked now) that the club made a statement confirming that all tickets would remain valid (i.e. fans wouldn't have to purchase another one) for the rearranged game.

However the web page doesn't mention any refunds so I suspect that you are right NYA. I guess in individual circumstances they might offer a refund or a ticket swap, but there is no indication that any refund will be given - after all the fans did see half a game, and four goals, of course.

With that being the case I would imagine they would have to include all those that bought tickets for the first game.

It's interesting, however, that the club PR managed to fool me into thinking that they had been absolutely generous to the fans by refunding tickets when, I now suspect, that they did nothing of the sort and chances are that very few of those that had bought a ticket for the first game would have paid again, so it's not cost them anything.

If I'm wrong and the club did offer refunds then I do apologise for the 'negative' comments, even though I think that it does, indeed, make business sense not to refund them.

Link: http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/20130824-doncaster-tickets-to-remain-valid-1011982.aspx
  • Options
    If my maths is correct, of the 2,000 or so home fans who bought a single match ticket for the original game (in supposedly balmy August), then I suspect fewer than half will turn up for the rearranged game - they may be a couple of hundred extra matchday sales from fans who didn't attend the original game however.

In addition I'd imagine 2-3,000 season ticket holders won't show, whilst Doncaster will bring 150-200 instead of the original 600+. Put it all together and the original crowd of 13,663 could easily be below 10,000 in reality.
  • Options

Anyone know if the club will calculate tonight's attendance based upon tickets sold, even though a substantial number of people who attended the original game won't be there?

Given the season ticket holder turnout is likely to be poor too given weather and opposition, they could end up announcing a crowd of 14,000+ despite only 8-9,000 likely to be in the ground.

8-9000? Have a laugh. We ain't Millwall.
  • Options
    Actual crowd tonight will be nearer 10,000 leaving our new American / German / Swiss / Kuwaiti owners* wondering why they're bothering

*delete as appropriate
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I think the attendance is bound to be higher than the original crowd as they will have sold a few more tickets and issued extra comps, but won't be refunding or cancelling.

In terms of the real number in the ground, it will probably be in the range 10-11,000, which would be unremarkable for a midweek game, although potentially could go lower. I'd expect 3,000 plus season ticket holders not to attend and tonight we have the additional loss of some people holding paid-for match tickets as well as absentee comp holders.

For that reason and because it would not be a like for like comparison or consistent with the return to the League, I can't see the club using the turnstile count.

The announced gate could get quite silly if they have issued many additional comps, but there are people who would realise that and probably adjust it down. In short, it is likely to be almost completely meaningless, but in fairness I'm not sure how this could be avoided in these unusual circumstances.
  • Options
    edited November 2013

Actual crowd tonight will be nearer 10,000 leaving our new American / German / Swiss / Kuwaiti owners* wondering why they're bothering

*delete as appropriate

deleted as appropriate ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Could this be the lowest home league crowd since the 90s?
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:

Could this be the lowest home league crowd since the 90s?

In terms of actual attendance, I think potentially yes

• Options
    Plus it's going to be FREEZING. I'm all layered up in preparation. I reckon 12,000 or thereabouts.
  • Options
    Quality, not quantity, guys...
  • Options
    Plus most of our games are boring and are 0-0 or 1-0 either way all the time
  • Options
    yeah I got a quality new coat so no need for dozens of layers
  • Options
    Well, I'm wearing a Gloverall x YMC duffle over a Uniqlo Heat-Tech thermal undershirt, a Tuk-Tuk shirt, a John Smedley crew-neck jumper and an Albam Bike Jacket.

Wait, what? Wrong thread. Anyway, I can barely move.
  • Options
  • Options
    Just looking forward to being at The Valley...
  • Options
    hawksmoor said:

Well, I'm wearing a Gloverall x YMC duffle over a Uniqlo Heat-Tech thermal undershirt, a Tuk-Tuk shirt, a John Smedley crew-neck jumper and an Albam Bike Jacket.

Wait, what? Wrong thread. Anyway, I can barely move.

Mines made of lego.