Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton vs Donny | Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2013
    Had a real deja vu - it felt like we were watching a league 1 match. Both sides making mistakes, pace was quite slow, we were quicker to capitalise on theirs than they were on ours. Stewart was very impressive as a young player with some maturing to do, but his touch, and confidence in going forward were excellent. Alnwick not troubled at all, so hard to say how good he is. Lets give him the benefit of the doubt - he looked a safe pair of hands.
  • Options
    I thought Jackson did well on the left and what a ball for the second goal?! Obviously some games will show up his lack of pace in a wide position but this wasn't one of them. We won't win more comfortably all year. Doncaster played nice football without looking remotely like they were going to score. Kermorgant nearly back to fitness. Wiggins at his marauding best. Stewart worked hard and was dangerous on the right. Cousins, centre backs and keeper solid. Stephens good passing and great finish for his goal. My mom was Church though, despite missing a couple of sitters. He caused them problems the whole time he was on the pitch.
  • Options
    Well needed three points in a game that we looked entirely comfortable in - would have been great to take our chances however
  • Options
    How much ground did Church cover in the first twenty minutes, let alone the rest of the game, pheeew he just kept going and Deserved the goal.

Mind you, Dale's goal will win goal of the season.
  • Options
    Posting before reading.
    We still have to play them away this season, so despite being better than them it could even itself out.
    However, we had a lot of chances today, a lot fell to Simon Church, their keeper pulled off a wonder save, we hit woodwork, and were generally on top throughout except for a spell just before Dale scored a beauty.
    Church needed that goal, but you have to admire his non-stop effort, mind you he was burdened by having to chase a hell of a lot of long balls today, and a relatively quiet Yann was not particularly supportive.
    Stewart saw a lot of the ball, especially in the second half, but he seemed to do his tricks when opponents were yards away from him, he plays lip service to the concept of challenging for the ball. Hmmmn.
    Thought Jacko and Jordan played very well, in fact most of the players put in a shift despite the sparse crowd, and for Alnwick a clean sheet would have done him some good, especially as it was a surprise appearance for him, one good save too, but rarely troubled.
    Massive respect to the Doncaster Rovers fans who made it, but it was a needed clean sheet and three juicy points.
  • Options
    Looked more of a training session with a lot of flicks and almost casual long passing...I liked the passes into space for players to chase...more of that please...and shots at goal are always welcome...yann didn't seen very mobile or maybe it was because the others were much more so...
  • Options
    Good feel to tonight's win Jackson wiggins Stephens church all good Stewart needs to wake up and work harder sordell needs to return to another team and for all the chances we had we need a younger version of Jackson to get some goals. Cousins is going to be a fine player things are looking good even when we lose
  • Options
    Nice one lads !
  • Options
    Great win... Any pictures of the directors box?
  • Options
    Big game on Saturday against Ipswich, a win there and we can start to play with a bit more freedom.

I think we are going to end up in mid-table, Powell is good enough to squeeze enough wins out for safety.

On the bigger picture we desperately need that fresh investment, we can't stagnate for much longer - Powell is a class manager but not a magician, he can't keep defying the odds.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I thought we bossed the game from start to finish, on a good day it could have been 6-0, it should have been at least 4, but after recent weeks happy that we created so many chances.

Donny look a bottom 3 team at present I can only remember one serious attempt at goal from them.

Good performance from our boys, more of the same for Saturday please.
  • Options
    Dog of a journey, first time I have done the bus winker thing for a long while. Glad I made the effort and well done to all others who did. Was worth it to see that goal from Dale. Well done to all the Donny fans for getting to the Valley this evening.
  • Options
    Theres a gap opening up at the bottom of the table. Donny are the right side of it.
  • Options
    All bloody over them for most of the game.
    should of had at least five! no joke.
    church though scored could of easily had a hat trick (and should of but we all know he's limited) with a 1 on 1 in the first few minutes and a open goal chance in which he slipped on the ball in the second half. plus kermorgant had an open goal chance and also we hit the post and bar.

midfield controlled it. until sordell came on.
    not sure if it was his fault or because of how much they worked they were a bit knackered by that point but I got a feeling the rest of the players just don't like him cos as soon as he came on they gave him terrible service and no support.
  • Options
    Posting before reading. Really enjoyed tonight, for the first time in a little while. Thought the football was pretty decent and we created numerous chances for the front two. Kermo hit the post, Stewart hit the bar and Church should have had more than one goal too.

Stephens' goal was absolutely brilliant - worth suffering all the aggro on the trains and whatnot beforehand. His all round performance was quality too, he really has turned it round from last season's dire showing.

Pleased Church got his goal and he ran himself into the ground and left the pitch to his usual song from the Covered End. Still found it incredible reading his name mentioned on the "worst ever strikers" thread.

Great 3 point, leaves us 6 points clear of the relegation zone and Ipswich are hardly a force to fear on Saturday. Beat them and suddenly things look a bit more comfortable!
  • Options
    We haven't dominated a game so much for a long time.

Passed the ball with confidence all game.

Should have been 2 or 3 up before we scored as Nelson and Kermo both missed easy chances and JJ drew a good save from the keeper.

It was similar to the periods of the Leeds game when we were on top only they weren't as good and didn't have McCormack.

Donny were made to look poor.

4 4 1 1 suited us esp as Stewart was on the right, right side and JJ could do his stuff. Kermo still doesn't look as mobile as before the injury but adds so much.

Wonder goal from Dale.
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

Great win... Any pictures of the directors box?

I can only paint one for your imagination.

There was a bloke in a hi=viz jacket sitting top right. Looked weird.

My description of tonight's victory - Comfortable.
  • Options
    A better performance than of late. Still a little uneven but Stephens scored a magnificent volley and we created the most chances in a game for some considerable time - certainly this season.

Stewart very good on the right wing, Yann was, I thought, poor and unfit, although the manager will be pleased to have got 90 minutes into him.

Still, that most rare of beasts, a Charlton home win. Donny will be in the bottom 6 or bottom 8 with us come the end of the season - neat in midfield (lots of diddy men ball players) but weak at the back and punchless up front.

A hugely important 3 points. Hopefully we can build on it on Saturday, give a decent account of ourselves at Reading and, at the very least, avoid defeat at Yeovil.
  • Options

Got to say that I feel a bit sorry for Doncaster, 3-1 up in the first game and then lose the re-played fixture 2-0.

Tough to take that, especially if they go down by a couple of points.

Agree. It was destined for them to a lose coming all that way on a Tuesday night after being 3-1 up.

The "3-1 and you f*cked it up" chant was very loud and funny though!

We have another goal of the season contender with that Stephens goal, stunning volley. Stewart almost cited another screamer but hit the bar.

Very good performance.

More later.
    Not to mention "You only sing when its raining"

Good all round performance, a 5-0 will would not have been out of place, Church should have had a hat trick, early miss when he had done all the hard work and a comical swivel and fall towards the end. Kerm missed by inches. Lots of great movement and everything seemed to be falling right, except a few final balls. Well done to all.
  • Options
    You only sing when it's raining was the song of the game. They were poor. We should have won by 4 or more. The most comfortable game of the season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2013
    Despite a late goalkeeping change with Hamer getting injured in the warm up, we were up for it from the off unlike the first attempt to fulfil this fixture. 4-4-2 line up reverting to 4-4-1-1 at times when Yann dropped deeper, with Stewart on the right and JJ on the left. Church couldn't believe his luck in the first 5 mins finding himself one on one with the keeper 12 yards out but put the effort wide. Yann was next to miss a glorious chance from even closer in this time striking the foot of a post. Was it going to be another of those nights? Not when Stephens volleyed a clearance past the keeper from a slight angle just outside the box it wasn't :0) Doncaster are a small side who play lots of tippy tappy possession stuff with little cutting edge the few chances they had were defended well. Can't remember many set plays for them but their lack of height wouldn't have bothered us anyway. We contained them and were happy to play on the break after half time and Stewart had a very good game and gave their left back a torrid time all night. The second goal was created by a perfectly weighted through ball from the skipper and Church this time obliged when one on one albeit with a bit of a scuffed shot that went in along the ground off the post. Stewart then rattled the bar after good work outside the box and several players should have converted a loose ball before Church had a complete air shot and the ball was cleared. Wilson has played better but the CBs and Wiggins were solid in front of a new keeper who was competent. Cousins continues to shine like an old pro and JJs presence should never be underestimated even though his legs were feeling it so soon after the QPR game. A thoroughly deserved win and three most welcome points from a good performance which sets us up nicely for the visit of Mick the mouth and the tractor boys on Saturday COYR
  • Options
    Pararagraph central
  • Options
    PL54 said:

Pararagraph central

I shall treat that comment with the contempt it deserves.
  • Options
    The guy at the back of the north lower (Block D) should feel very embarrassed tonight. Non stop abuse for Stewart all game, when he was argubly the best player on the pitch. At one point he told him to go back to Manchester United! We really do get some strange people at The Valley. Although it was funny to see his Dad tell him off even though he must have been in his late 20s early 30s.

Anyway, great win for the lads tonight and was glad to see Church get on the scoresheet.
  • Options
    I tell you what. It was bloody great to watch us win.
  • Options

The guy at the back of the north lower (Block D) should feel very embarrassed tonight. Non stop abuse for Stewart all game, when he was argubly the best player on the pitch. At one point he told him to go back to Manchester United! We really do get some strange people at The Valley. Although it was funny to see his Dad tell him off even though he must have been in his late 20s early 30s.

Anyway, great win for the lads tonight and was glad to see Church get on the scoresheet.

perhaps some racism there
  • Options
    edited November 2013

Still found it incredible reading his name mentioned on the "worst ever strikers" thread.

maybe its because he should have had 4 and on another day we'd have lost due to him not scoring early doors.

I'm not dissing him, but as a striker you can't miss gilt-edged chances like he had.

However - overall a good performance and pleased that CP has read my comments on here & started with Stewart on the right. Stephens also had a good game & with Cousins we are starting to look like we have a decent midfield. Alnwick is already a favourite with Golfie jnr and the rest of the back 4 were solid too. Felt Kermy was a bit off the pace, but maybe 6-8 weeks out has that effect on him.
  • Options
    Crowd figure on beeb just over 14,000 PMSL
  • Options
    Great win and much needed 3 points for a little bit of breathing space.
    Donny were proper pony
    How Church managed to only score 1 from those positions I'll never know but he has heart but is as powder puff a finisher as you'll get
    Didn't think Kermo was up to much tonight
    Stewart, Cousins or Stephens were all potentially Motm but Stephens is oooooozing class and he shaded it for me and I would say he's our most important player atm

Would love to know the real head count in the ground deffo below 10k

Felt sorry for Donny but as someone said above you then remember Dickov and you don't feel that sorry , although FairPlay to him at the end he made a point of congratulating/shaking hands with every Charlton player which I thought was a nice touch

5% top half ....... 73% 13th-21st ......... 22% Bottom three
  • Options

I thought Jackson did well on the left and what a ball for the second goal?! Obviously some games will show up his lack of pace in a wide position but this wasn't one of them. We won't win more comfortably all year. Doncaster played nice football without looking remotely like they were going to score. Kermorgant nearly back to fitness. Wiggins at his marauding best. Stewart worked hard and was dangerous on the right. Cousins, centre backs and keeper solid. Stephens good passing and great finish for his goal. My mom was Church though, despite missing a couple of sitters. He caused them problems the whole time he was on the pitch.

Thanks for that, crookester.

Saved me from posting !

Onwards & upwards !