Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Zheng Zhi

2»

Comments

• Options
    I liked Zheng Zi, but never reached the heights, maybe a second season in the premiership would have helped. It is a pity that when Charlton were on 30 points, with around 6 or 7 games to play, we played Man City away, and there was a glorious opportunity for ZZ to put the ball away for a 1-0 away victory. He is an attacking midfielder and not a striker and it was missed. The game ended up 0-0 and Charlton lost momentum in the avoiding relegation push and that was that. If ZZ would have scored that, and Charlton would have stayed up, he would have been a Charlton legend. Not really his fault as he was an attacking midfielder and not a striker.
  • Options
    Nug said:

I loved ZZ, never seen a player in a Charlton shirt that could find space and time the way he did. He was quality in a poor team.

Really? Jensen? Di Canio? Reid?
  • Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KC_Z0QOngMU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4Bu7ddOtzY

ZZ's miss against Man City is not highlighted (unsurprisingly).Good goal, particularly the first one. The home goal is in special shaky cam.
  • Options

Glad you still talk about him these days. He's definitely one of the best Chinese players that have played abroad. Probably would've be seen as the most successful one if we had stayed in the Prem...

How is he generally viewed in China?

Do people tend to know who charlton are because of his time here?

• Options
    Remember him coming on as sub away to Watford (2-2 draw?) and absolutely running the show from centre-midfield. His passing and anticipation that day were top notch. But, as others have said, he was a touch lightweight as a striker. Definitely a good player though.
  • Options
    rina said:

Glad you still talk about him these days. He's definitely one of the best Chinese players that have played abroad. Probably would've be seen as the most successful one if we had stayed in the Prem...

How is he generally viewed in China?

Do people tend to know who charlton are because of his time here?

He's got many fans here in China, definitely one of the most popular players in the past decade. And yes of course a lot of people got to know Charlton because of him. I remember back when the forum 'Addicted.net' still existed, many Chinese people got on there and posted regularly for a while.

Shame we were relegated so he wasn't in the Premier League for a long time. Otherwise I reckon he would have reached the same status like Sun Jihai who has played for Man City regularly for over five years and is widely considered as the player with the most successful overseas career in our country.
  • Options
    Scored the first for China today. Still doing it.
  • Options

Would love to see him play for Guangzhou Evergrande
  • Options
    Had a discussion about him with a Chinese guest last week. He saw my Charlton shirt on the wall. Was very impressed that I had made the trip to China to watch the team a few years ago, pre-ZZ of course, and was very knowledgeable regarding ZZ's career. Still a very popular player out there.

Unfortunately most of my Chinese customers don't speak a word of English or Thai and the only hint of conversation is when they ask for hot water for their pot noodles.
  • Options
    I remember us really struggling when he picked up a bad injury early in the Championship. He was always worth goals and he was a real worker. Wish we'd got more out of him
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I remember us really struggling when he picked up a bad injury early in the Championship. He was always worth goals and he was a real worker. Wish we'd got more out of him

Good memory, Gary.

That relegation season, we'd started quite brightly and then ZZ got injured early on.

He didn't play again until early March, by which time we were cast adrift at the bottom.
    His return coincided with a decent uplift in form and results for the team.

Of course, it was too little, too late with far too much ground to make up.

Makes you wonder if a fit ZZ playing throughout that season, would have given us a fighting chance of avoiding relegation.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Good memory, Gary.

That relegation season, we'd started quite brightly and then ZZ got injured early on.

He didn't play again until early March, by which time we were cast adrift at the bottom.
    His return coincided with a decent uplift in form and results for the team.

Of course, it was too little, too late with far too much ground to make up.

Makes you wonder if a fit ZZ playing throughout that season, would have given us a fighting chance of avoiding relegation.

I'm sure it would have. I vaguely remember him returning with a dodgy barnet and a wonder goal. But then I also remember Therry Racon getting a run in the team for the first time and scoring a few goals so maybe reality had just given up at that point
  • Options
    Still captaining China . Currently playing against Uzbekistan in the Asia cup . Eurosport 2 KO 9am
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Zheng Zhi, wherever he will be... we are the famous CAFC! (actually thinking about it, was that even his chant? lol cant remember just first thing that popped into my head)

Lovely little player , good on him.
  • Options

Zheng Zhi, wherever he will be... we are the famous CAFC! (actually thinking about it, was that even his chant? lol cant remember just first thing that popped into my head)

I seem the remember it being more Zheng Zhi wherever you may be, you sell dodgy DVDs, could be worse could be Millwall selling crack at a primary school.

Thats how I remember it anyway
    Same, although I think it was shortened to "wall" to flow a bit better.
  • Options
    One of my daughters met a cousin of his recently.

The cousin is a top table tennis player apparently.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I seem the remember it being more Zheng Zhi wherever you may be, you sell dodgy DVDs, could be worse could be Millwall selling crack at a primary school.

That rings a bell too lol maybe its that one i remember but the tune is the same :)
  • Options

That rings a bell too lol maybe its that one i remember but the tune is the same :)
    I also sang the Famous CAFC version... Rather than the potentially racist other option.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

I also sang the Famous CAFC version... Rather than the potentially racist other option.
    Sounds like a rip off of the man u one about Ji Sung Park...

Ji Sung, wherever you may be,
    You eat dogs in your home country,
    It could be worse, you could be Scouse,
    Eating rats in your council house.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Zheng Zhi is captain of Guangzhou Evergrande Taobao F.C., the current Chinese Super League Champions, boasting players such as Brazilians Paulinho and Talisca, on loan from Barcelona and Benfica, respectively.

Their game against Dan Petrescu's Guizhou Hengfeng F.C. is live on Sky Sports Football right now.

Really good game. Big crowd. 4-0 home win. Four brilliant goals. Debut hat-trick. VAR red card in injury time.

What more could you want? (Apart from a commentator who didn't keep getting players' names wrong).
  • Options
    Wonder if anyone has told him yet that you can use your foot to shoot and not just your head?
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    My affinity with Chinese things may influence me, but he was a really good player for us. I wish we had survived that relegation season because with him and Bent we could have improved the following season....oh hang on, Pardew was the manager!
  • Options
    vff said:

ZZ's miss against Man City is not highlighted (unsurprisingly).Good goal, particularly the first one. The home goal is in special shaky cam.

Please don't share vids of the valley full and rocking, makes me sad!
  • Options

vff said:

Please don't share vids of the valley full and rocking, makes me sad!
    That second video was taken by @carlsberg stood next to me. I wondered what the shit he was up to but ha a feeling Bent would at least test the keeper
  • Options
    Don’t shoot the messenger but the long gone people behind me sang

DVD Zheng zhi....dvd
    DVD Zheng zhi....dvd
    Zheng zhi sells dvd
  • Options
    edited July 2018

This was definitely it, though substitute drugs for crack. Started by my pals and a few of the other younger 'risk' lot that have now found more sensible things to do on their Saturdays.