Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Whats a fair price?

For a 16-18 year old leaving home at 5.15 am and getting home at 5.00pm approx..

Picked up and dropped off at there door.

Work will commence say 7.30 be finished 2.30-3.00pm

What would you say is fair price for these works.

Comments

• Options
    £80 at most I'd say .

When I was an apprentice I got £25 but that was in 1990
  • Options
    What would he be doing?
  • Options
    Living wage is £8.80 ph in London and £7.65 ph in Kent
  • Options
    I would say £75 if they're getting picked up, assuming they're an apprentice as that's £10/hour if they stay until 3pm.
  • Options
    £60 at the most
  • Options
    I would say about £60-£80 per day but it depends on the job. It looks as if they/you are travelling for over 2 hours each way or a total of over 4 hours a day so whatever the wage if it does not pay for travel time it will not seem enough as that is a long day.
  • Options
    They would be labouring originally and if showing enough interest they would be trained into the aspect of roofing we all felt was most suited to them.

Travel does seem to be the main bug bear.

Our older roofers (obviously paid differently) are used to it but the younger lads don't seem to last.
  • Options
    Sounds like you are in the roofing game so have a rough idea, If not Delroofer gets on here so he might be able to comment. Edit the title to include the word "roofer" and Del will see it.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    £60
  • Options
    £12.50
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    £50
  • Options
    £60.00 is what they get but many don't seem to hang on because they can get more elsewhere short term.

I was just interested to see if many thought for that length of day it was a fair price I can see both sides of the argument and at times it does seem harsh, but in reality they don't start earning till they are on site.
  • Options
    Fair point, my engineers and young lads get travel time paid so if they are out the house for 12 hours they get paid for 12 hours which softens the blow when you are travelling for 4 hours a day.
  • Options
    Minimum wage for an under 18 is £3.72 and 18-20 is £5.03.

Thus for a 7.5 hour day (assuming you pay for the lunch hour) minimum wage would be between £28.13 and £37.73. Which is, I'm sure more than benefits.

I know a few (all be it not many) people in that age group that would accept a job on minimum wage as they are not working and live wt home with Mum and Dad. If there is the opportunity of training and a career then I would have thought that those that are not working and want to work would be grateful for the opportunity.

On the other hand I don't know many teenagers even believe that there are two 5 o'clocks in each day!
  • Options
    A youngster who is up & reliable at that time of the morning is a rare breed dont worry about not paying for travel time as they will be asleep as soon as they get in the van ( both ways ) £50 a day is good .
  • Options
    75 sheets a day is fair whack I think.
  • Options
    My 17 yo lad who is 6ft 1 and fit as you like, really is a grafter would jump at the chance for £60 a day doing that, he was doing 12hrs shifts in a warehouse Sat and sun whilst at college for £75 a day.
    Hes moved up to Scotland learning fibre optics at the mo, doing 6 weeks up there and back for a week, he's earning £30 a day as apprentice/trainee, but will prob be taking home £600 a week minimum in a year's time if he gets his nut down, which he is.
  • Options
    There progress is down to them. One of the lads is 19 very good a liquid plastics gets 80 a day with van that he can use within reason for himself fuel paid.

But I tend to find its a trades you either love or hate