Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton vs Ipswich Town | Sat 30th Nov 2013 | Match Preview, Teams, Predictions, News & Views

edited November 2013 in General Charlton
Introduction

A 2-0 victory over Doncaster at the Swimming Gala on Tuesday night gave the Addicks a vital gold medal which helped push Chris Powell’s men six points adrift from the relegation zone.

Although the Addicks played really well, Doncaster weren’t much of a threat and never really looked like scoring. Saturday should be a different scenario as Charlton face Mick McCarthy’s Ipswich Town at the Valley.

The Opposition

Ipswich’s inconsistency has been their main flaw so far this season as the Tractor Boys have managed to win five times but have also lost six games meaning that Mick McCarthy’s side are currently sitting in a mid-table spot of 12th place.

Only one of those victories have come away from home and that actually occurred in their last away fixture against Blackpool when a last minute winner from Daryl Murphy secured a 3-2 victory.

Ipswich do have a few players within their squad that could cause a few problems for Charlton with names such as Stephen Hunt, Daryl Murphy and David McGoldrick all pretty well-known within the Championship. There may also be a place in the first-team for ex-Addick Carl Leaburn….I mean Frank Nouble, who endured an unsuccessful loan spell with the Addicks in 2011.

Player to Watch

The player to watch this weekend is Ipswich’s David McGoldrick. The Tractor Boys forward has already scored seven goals this season and the ex-Forest man will be looking to add to that tally this weekend. He is a typical goalscorer who ends up in the right place at the right time and has the pace to get behind defenders as well as the skill to cause a few problems.

He can also score a screamer or two as this clip shows (plus it's against Palace) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpNqhH_rEAY

The Line –Up

After Tuesday’s impressive display, I doubt there is much that Chris Powell will be looking to change ahead of this weekend’s game.

However, the injury in the warm-up to Ben Hamer on Tuesday night saw a début starting spot for Ben Alnwick and no substitute keeper on the bench. If Hamer is available, then I would expect him to return to the starting eleven.

Richard Wood will be pushing for starting spot ahead of Dorian Dervite on Saturday as he made a return to the squad on Tuesday night with a place on the bench. Leon Cort and Chris Solly will not be available again due to their respected injuries.

The presence of Cameron Stewart on the right-side of midfield certainly made a difference against Doncaster, so he should retain his spot there, while Johnnie Jackson will probably hold down his left-hand side/central midfield spot.

Yann Kermorgant should be up-front again for the Addicks after he completed 90 minutes against Doncaster and his strike-partner Simon Church will continue after scoring his fifth league goal of the season in midweek.

The Prediction

Tough one to call this, I’m going for a 1-1 draw with Kermorgant scoring for the Addicks.

Comments

• Options
    An unchanged team playing with a renewed vigour and confidence

CAFC 3 v Ipswich Town 1
  • Options
    Powell's Red and White Army marches on.

2 - 0 and Sasa Ilic in the Directors' Box to remind us of glorious victories over Ipswich in the past
  • Options
    Is Solly ever coming back?
  • Options

Is Solly ever coming back?

Back training according to Powell.
  • Options
    Unchanged team
    2-1 win
    Church brace
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Taking my two eldest (hopefully),one of which is the 5 year old who's not in to footy as much as his elder brother, he's making his 2nd appearance the first one was a couple of years back and he said it was too noisey (NWQ) , he's a bit sensitive , I mean too noisey at Charlton, really!!!!
    On the strength of that we'll lose and he'll be put off for life
    0-3 to the tractor boys
  • Options
    Looks like a draw to me, I'm guessing 2-2 although goodness knows how many chances we will have to create to score twice !
  • Options
    After nailing the last two games predictions, this will be 2-1 CAFC (cafc cafc cafc)
  • Options
    Depends which Ipswich turn up.

I suspect their good one and another step backwards for us so we can start a new thread on why loan players what not bought in.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's that sort of season.

Kick in the nuts time 0-2 to the Tractor Boys...
  • Options
    Hopefully 2-1 Charton, but have a feeling this will be a draw, 1-1
  • Options
    the Tractor Boys aren't a bad team, and I rate Mick quite a lot, but if Charlton play like they did on Tuesday then they have a solid chance at getting the three points
    Kermorgant hasn't scored for a while so I reckon he'll score
  • Options
    Ipswich are hot and cold this season with 1 away win at Blackpool the other week. Another good Charlton showing could see them off. Agree, Yann back on the scoresheet!
  • Options
    Heart says 2-1 to CP's Red and White Army. Head Says 1-1 draw
  • Options
    I'm expecting a more anxious 90 minutes than we experienced on Tuesday, but I think we will (for once) build on that victory with another 3 points. Yann will be better for the 90 minutes against Donny and hopefully his form will return with the fitness. I think it has to be an unchanged side, and I'm going for a 2-1 win for the reds.
  • Options
    If Ipswich play open expansive football then I expect we could sneak it, if they come tight, pressing and organised then a defeat
  • Options
    Still waiting for the traditional 5 goal November haul.

Charlton 5-1 Ipswich
  • Options
    I'll be happy to avoid defeat.

Anything better than that will be wonderful!

• Options
    Comfortable home win 4-0.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    2-1 to Charlton

Kermorgant and Cousins.

Was just thinking I would love it if Sordell were to go home as he has had enough time now.

Then we got Obika on loan and still had BWP.

Kerms
    Church
    Obika
    BWP

That is a mid table strike force
  • Options
    3-0 the Addicks. Some of those chances start to drop.
  • Options
    Can't see any result other than an easy CAFC win.
  • Options
    I should be able to make this one. Slipped disc is much better,

I'm going for a Desmond .

2-2

Directors box photo's as well hopefully.Should be interesting.
  • Options

I should be able to make this one. Slipped disc is much better,

I'm going for a Desmond .

2-2

Directors box photo's as well hopefully.Should be interesting.

I'll have a good view of the directors box from where I'm sitting so I will try and remember to take a couple of photos
  • Options
    Dreaming of another clean sheet and a home win,1-0.
  • Options
    Confidence will be high after Tuesday - not so much due to the result but the general performance - Ipswich will be a much tougher test, but I think we'll score at least one more. 2-1
  • Options
    2-1 loss and many an argument on here come Saturday evening.
  • Options
    31-24 Charlton. New signing Eli Manning thows a TD pass into the end zone that Yann Kermorgant takes with an athletic leap to seal the game.
  • Options
    A goal from a past meeting. Free-kick by Nicky Bailey -> http://plentyofshots.wordpress.com/2013/11/29/nicky-bailey-goal-vs-ipswich-town/

Really hope we can start building up some momentum on Saturday