Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sir Hugh Orde - Charlton fan

Was listening to him on Radio 4's The Moral Maze earlier this evening and he mentioned he's a Charlton fan... did we know this?

(Former deputy assistant commissioner of the Met, chief constable of Northern Ireland and currently president of ACPO for those wondering 'Hugh who?' Think he was involved in the Stephen Lawrence enquiry, too...)

Comments

• Options
    Jacko from brushstrokes stil top of the pile ;-) failed 80s actor above anything sir hugh as achieved... Blimey tho he is a new addition bet he has seen and herd some interesting things over the years.
  • Options
    Sir Huge Order? Peter Garland?
  • Options
    Yeah I heard that.
  • Options
    Sure he'd be welcome in the directors box.
  • Options

Sure he'd be welcome in the directors box.

Indeed, I bet our board would love a copper sniffing round the place!
  • Options

Jacko from brushstrokes stil top of the pile ;-) failed 80s actor above anything sir hugh as achieved... Blimey tho he is a new addition bet he has seen and herd some interesting things over the years.

I bow to nobody in my man-love for cheeky tradesman Jacko but the #1 Celebrity Charlton Fan is Bjorn Borg, simply unbeatable for its sheer ridiculousness!
  • Options

I bow to nobody in my man-love for cheeky tradesman Jacko but the #1 Celebrity Charlton Fan is Bjorn Borg, simply unbeatable for its sheer ridiculousness!
    Ruud Van Nistelroy must run him close though?
  • Options

Perhaps, but RVN is merely a world-class striker, BB is an actual legend in so many ways - a really iconic figure, especially for those of us who grew up watching him win Wimbledon.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I have met 'Sir' Hugh Orde in somewhat unpleasant circumstances and the man was a complete and utter arrogant
    'a-hole', I am somewhat distraught to discover that he could be an Addick.
  • Options

He supports Charlton? Never seen that before!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I happen to have met a relative of his and can confirm he does, or did once, follow the mighty Addicks.
  • Options

I have met 'Sir' Hugh Orde in somewhat unpleasant circumstances and the man was a complete and utter arrogant

I rather think it would have been impossible for him to be anything else otherwise he would not have been Chief Constable of the PSNI during its transition from the bad old days of the RUC.

• Options
    Was he in the TSG when Blair Peach was killed?
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

I rather think it would have been impossible for him to be anything else otherwise he would not have been Chief Constable of the PSNI during its transition from the bad old days of the RUC.

I'm not sure why being a complete a-hole would necessarily qualify him for that job,

• Options
    edited November 2013

Don't think so. He commanded the TSG in the early 90s but was a high-flying officer type who was parachuted in and out of various senior police jobs; I don't think he came up through the ranks of the TSG and its predecessor, the notorious SPG. And he'd have only been a raw recruit of 19 or 20 when BP was killed. Think he was on the streets of Brixton during the '81 riots, though, and probably enjoyed cracking a few heads. Probably what won him his first promotion!

• Options

did he give you a slap in the cells for being lippy?
  • Options
    How can anyone who was in the 2nd greatest British gangster film of all time be described as "failed"?
  • Options
    A few years ago, we were playing Bristol (not sure if it was City or Rovers) in an evening game.

A particularly obnoxious Bristol fan was hurling abuse at people on the Jubilee line. When he was bearded by by a slightly older gentleman about his atitude, he said something along the lines of "f*** off, old man, nobody can do anything to me, I'm a copper!"

Who was he talking to?

Sir Hugh Orde, deputy assistant commissioner of the Met, in mufti, going to the same game as an ordinary supporter.

Surprise, surprise, said lout did not stay in the Police Force for long afterwards...
  • Options
    I reckon he's jumping on the bandwagon now that he knows who our potential new owners are.... ;0)
  • Options

Don't think so. He commanded the TSG in the early 90s but was a high-flying officer type who was parachuted in and out of various senior police jobs; I don't think he came up through the ranks of the TSG and its predecessor, the notorious SPG. And he'd have only been a raw recruit of 19 or 20 when BP was killed. Think he was on the streets of Brixton during the '81 riots, though, and probably enjoyed cracking a few heads. Probably what won him his first promotion!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_Orde
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

A few years ago, we were playing Bristol (not sure if it was City or Rovers) in an evening game.

A particularly obnoxious Bristol fan was hurling abuse at people on the Jubilee line. When he was bearded by by a slightly older gentleman about his atitude, he said something along the lines of "f*** off, old man, nobody can do anything to me, I'm a copper!"

Who was he talking to?

Sir Hugh Orde, deputy assistant commissioner of the Met, in mufti, going to the same game as an ordinary supporter.

Surprise, surprise, said lout did not stay in the Police Force for long afterwards...

What does bearded mean in this context?

How do you know this story loopy or should i call you Sir Hugh? :-)

I love this board you get some right good info from it.

• Options
    He might be a relative of our old player Brian Ord.

Posh side of the family so an e on the end of the name.

:-)
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

It means "To confront boldly"
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

Who was he talking to?

How do you know this story loopy or should i call you Sir Hugh? :-)

I love this board you get some right good info from it.

No great secret, it was in a national newspaper a few months after it happened!
  • Options
    Don't worry mate , everyone knows that , she's just not all there most people ignore her questions
  • Options
    Har har!