Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lower league match fixing

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/10479667/Football-match-fixing-six-arrested-by-police-investigating-betting-syndicate-as-rigging-hits-British-game.html

The thing i don't get is how some of these asian bookies make money.

First you get the spot fixing in cricket. Now if you're a bookie and someone came to you and said i want 300k that so and so will bowl a no ball in the 6th over, would you take that bet? Or would you think, hang on a sec, perhaps this bloke might just know something.

Likewise if some dodgy bloke from Singapore came to you and said i want 250k that Hyde v Nuneaton (for example) will be over 4.5 surely it'd set alarm bells ringing somewhere.

Why do they take these bets?

Comments

• I remember Matt Le Tissier a few years ago saying Southampton would bet on things like first throw in etc and then kick the ball out from kick-off. Although minor, this still counts as betting on a football match. If they can get away with that then what's stopping them going a bit further each time?
  • A surprising number of non league clubs are run by crooks. Not saying all of them by any means. Just a lot more than you would find comfortable (so a lot more than zero). A local man runs into some money and buys his local non league club which is still stagnating and hemorrahging money. On the face of it nothing that suspicious just the thought it's a poor investment. Maybe I've watched too much breaking bad but I know of a few semi pro clubs that have sacked managers because they knew they were going to get promoted within a couple of years because of the improvements the managers had made. Self absorbed to the fact they're happy to be a little fish in a tiny pond rather than being little in a little pond or just a way to show money to the tax man? Who knows.

Ramble over :)
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!