Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Getting a new passport

Comments

• Options
    Did mine in 4hrs using express service at the IPS office. It costs a bit more but at least you get it done without having to wait for post.

In fact I flew over from Singapore, landed went to passport office, renewed and flew back out.
  • Options
    Should add you need to phone and make an appointment
  • Options
    Got my passport on the day today. Excellent service.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

My brother lost his passport and needed it the next day so my dad drove him to Peterborough and got it done there and then, though it cost a lot more.

They found the old passport... In the car :D

Jesus that's exactly what I went through earlier this year, and just before I finally admitted defeat.... I found it in the car.
  • Options
    Brunello said:

Done mine thru the Post office recently and it came back within a week.

Done mine in the summer and it took a couple of weeks.
  • Options

Anybody got or renewed a passport during these covid times?

Me and a few mates have a trip to Barcelona booked for October for my brothers birthday. One of my friends doesn't have a passport and needs to apply for the first time.

I know this may take longer than a renewal but have any of you renewed recently? How long did it take to get your passport back from date of application?

The Passport Office website isn't very encouraging in terms of turnaround, and fasttrack services are apparently suspended.

• Options

Anybody got or renewed a passport during these covid times?

Me and a few mates have a trip to Barcelona booked for October for my brothers birthday. One of my friends doesn't have a passport and needs to apply for the first time.

I know this may take longer than a renewal but have any of you renewed recently? How long did it take to get your passport back from date of application?

The Passport Office website isn't very encouraging in terms of turnaround, and fasttrack services are apparently suspended.

When my sister got her first passport a few years ago she had to have an actual interview first. It took quite a few weeks to get it all sorted and the passport sent through. Not sure if they would do interviews online in the current Covid world, but he should be aware that this might happen. Get it sent off ASAP and hope for the best! 
  • Options
    How do you get to adult age without having had a passport before?
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    How do you get to adult age without having had a passport before?
    Grow up in a household where they don't take foreign holidays! Not everyone goes abroad every year, many holiday in the UK. 
  • Options
    Did mine in May , took about 6 weeks
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

6 weeks will be perfect timing, hoping that is the case.

• Options
    We had to renew our daughters passport...it had run out,we only realised 2 wks ago as we were supposed to be going France on Tuesday...so we were straight on the case,we have had confirmation with tracking it will be at ours for Monday...not that we need it now cause of the quarantine...😢,so hopefully u chaps will be fine...🤞🏻
  • Options

Current Average UK Passport Processing Times:

First Adult Passport

26.25 Days*

(Updated 10th August 2020)

Adult Passport Renewal

19.67 Days*

First Child Passport

26.39 Days*

Child Renewal Passport

22.84 Days*

https://www.passportwaitingtime.co.uk/

• Options
    Did mine last month, 13 days from pressing Send to getting it in the post. The online application is easy. I spent nine quid in a photo place, they give you a code to enter the photo. The app on the phone never seems to like the photo that the phone takes. 
  • Options
    clive said:

Current Average UK Passport Processing Times:

First Adult Passport

26.25 Days*

Adult Passport Renewal

19.67 Days*

First Child Passport

26.39 Days*

Child Renewal Passport

22.84 Days*

https://www.passportwaitingtime.co.uk/

You always have the links for everything. Thanks a lot Clive, that’s really helpful. 
  • Options
    Just renewed mine came today (27/1/23)....Done the application on the 15th, posted the old one off on the 17th, very quick maybe a quiet time of the year.
  • Options
    When someone has finally had enough of the UK and decides to leave - you need to find circa £85 for a bit of paper to do so. 
    Stealth taxing at its very best. 
  • Options
    Price increase next week
  • Options
    Just renewed mine came today (27/1/23)....Done the application on the 15th, posted the old one off on the 17th, very quick maybe a quiet time of the year.
    Blimey. It takes about 6 months in France. To get a French passport you have to make an appointment in person so that they can check that the photo is correct. You then have to make a second appointment to pick it up. The appointments have a long waiting list since COVID-19.

Do you still have to get a 'referee' to sign that it's a true likeness in the UK? My UK passport runs out in 2025. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Blimey. It takes about 6 months in France. To get a French passport you have to make an appointment in person so that they can check that the photo is correct. You then have to make a second appointment to pick it up. The appointments have a long waiting list since COVID-19.

Do you still have to get a 'referee' to sign that it's a true likeness in the UK? My UK passport runs out in 2025. 
    Just renewed mine last Friday, used the digital service at the WH Smith PO counter in Newbury, you pay the premium for this service including extra for the return of guaranteed post for your old passport.

They take the picture for you but be aware don't wear bright clothes or smile or your picture will keep being rejected. Get almost a daily update of the progress of the passport via text.

Had 6 months left and some countries you cant go to if you have less that that.
  • Options

Just applied for my daughter's first one and had to get a friend in a recognised profession to complete an online form to confirm her identity. She's only two months old so seems a bit silly considering the passport lasts five years and border force can't tell one baby from another.

Regardless of that, it was an easy process. Much better than when this thread started ten years ago when you had to go to the post office to get it checked.
  • Options

Just renewed mine last Friday, used the digital service at the WH Smith PO counter in Newbury, you pay the premium for this service including extra for the return of guaranteed post for your old passport.

They take the picture for you but be aware don't wear bright clothes or smile or your picture will keep being rejected. Get almost a daily update of the progress of the passport via text.

I got my photos taken at Tesco. They printed off copies and sent me a code to upload the photo straight to the online application. The process was very quick and easy. I received regular updates via email and text. I received my new passport six days after I applied online and I got the old passport in the post the following day. I didn’t even request special delivery with it. I thought it would be a lengthy process with the prices rising soon.
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:
    Price increase next week
    Only by a few quid. I need to get my 4th one this year. 😕
  • Options
    Senpai said:

I got my photos taken at Tesco. They printed off copies and sent me a code to upload the photo straight to the online application. The process was very quick and easy. I received regular updates via email and text. I received my new passport six days after I applied online and I got the old passport in the post the following day. I didn’t even request special delivery with it. I thought it would be a lengthy process with the prices rising soon.
    That’s how I did mine … very simple and quick 
  • Options
    What takes longer getting a new passport or getting through passport control?
  • Options
    Did my daughter's photo at snappy snaps. They check the photo on the home office website to see if it'll be accepted... It's quite fussy.  I'm one of the people apparently trusted to countersign passports and I get to feel all grown up. They do check up as well... Got sent a picture of my friend's daughter I had to verify and it looked like a ransom note
  • Options
    My passport expired June 22, didn't realise. Anyone know for sure if I can just renew online or will I have to re-apply (or is there no difference?) Thanks
  • Options
    I was very very lucky with mine. I did mine around December 9th after my Birthday and the new arrived on December the 16th !! So I guess if you are going to renew this is the best time of year to do it. I was gobsmacked. I did mine via the post office. It was costly but then I thought at least I don't have to do it for another 10 years. 
  • Options
    Wow, it all sounds far too technical and efficient for the poor civil servants at a town hall in an average French town.

Mind you, they were very helpful, friendly and knew exactly what to do when I asked for some yellow recycling rubbish bags a few weeks ago.