Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

squeeze 1988ish (were you there?)

being a regular in the yorkshire grey at the time, the landlord let a few of us into the adjoining harrogate suite where squeeze were playing. i was led to believe that the was a pre-tour gig for the music press and a select few fans. when i got in there i recognised loads of people from away games with charlton.
were any other lifers at the gig?

Comments

• Options
    Wasn't there but saw Squeeze at Tights (Changed it's name since then) by Beckenham Junction Station circa December 1977. Just before they hit the big time. (Jools Holland on key board). This was at a Christmas bash for Orpington College of F E, which I was atttending at the time. I'm afraid I was very very drunk.....;-)
  • Options
    I used to go to the old Albany Empire in Deptford. Never got to see squueze there but did see Dire Straits in their pre 'Sultans of Swing' days
  • Options
    Back in the late seventies, early eighties I'd have the occasional pint at the Princess Of Wales Blackheath and often saw Glenn Tilbrook with his guitar strumming away sitting on the grass opposite with a beer.
  • Options
    I did see squeeze in 76 in the pub next to Greenwich baths. Also gatecrahed a party at Glenn's house opp. Greenwich theatre when I was about 16
  • Options
    Saw them at the peasant revolt against poll tax on Blacheath.
  • Options
    Blackheath was a great gig.
  • Options
    Saw them in 1988 at the tunnel club one of two or three gigs they did locally at small venues prior to going on tour, also saw them on heath and at Brixton Academy.
  • Options
    I was on the Heath too! That was a great day/night!

Happy Days!
  • Options
    grew up with tilbrook but he was always more interested in his music and we were always into football and charlton (the two not necessarily being the same, but only occasionally coinciding, concepts for most of that period)...he went on to sampling the delights of fame and fortune and touring the world, we went on to sampling the delights of the 3rd division, away games to chesterfield and walsall, sellout park...still, he got lucky in the end and found charlton...
  • Options
    Funny this comes up today.

Squeeze topped the bill on teh Heath, Tich Turner's covers band the Ya-yas were second and the band I played bass in, The B-sharps (bloody Simpsons, we thought of ti first) were third, with Chris adn Richard Holland and Lisa Covington.

By medium-sized coincidence, teh Amersham gig I cheekily plugged last Friday featured 3/4s of the the B-sharps, Richard was in the audience checking the new drummer, and it was promoted by Tich Turner, who I hadn't seen since the Heath show.

Anyway, I never checked. Did we Stop The Poll Tax??
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I used to hang around with them in the late 70's. Still see Glen Tilbrook now and again.