Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Reserves win 3-0... Lisbie bags a brace

edited March 2007 in General Charlton
Yep, you heard it right. Super Kev has returned to form....

Expect D Bent to be rested against Wigan, with Lisbie replacing him!

Comments

• Options
    Nah, Lisbie'll end up doing himself a mischief in training on Friday.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]Yep, you heard it right. Super Kev has returned to form....

Expect D Bent to be rested against Wigan, with Lisbie replacing him!
    I suspect you're semi-joking, but IF it happens, I'd prefer ZZ just behind Marcus as big Bent will provide him with the knock-downs etc. - something you'll unfortunately never get from that young prospect Super Kev.
  • Options
    I'm semi-joking but I suspect it's going to happen... read the reserve report, where the club are bigging him up and you'll see where my thoughts are coming from....

Reserve report
  • Options
    'in-form striker'...dont you just know he's going to score THE goal that 'keeps us up'...
  • Options
    I don't know what it is with him, maybe he just freezes on the bigger stage. Do you get more time on the ball in reserve football? Every time i read a reserve report he nearly always has a good game, his finishing is always exemplary too. It's a shame he didn't neatly chip the keeper after cutting inside the defender at Watford!
  • Options
    to be fair to him at watford, it was one of those games, the keeper is top-notch, the goal mouth was packed, the best strikers in the world miss those sort of chances and they are usually scored by 'a defender getting his first goal in 3 years/for the club'...
  • Options
    Nail on the head stuff Chris.

I remember watching him when he actually was a young prospect in the reserves and he was awesome, pace, power, skill and an eye for goal.

Soon as he set foot on the pitch in the first team though, it almost always disapeared, save for a few memorable moments. Yes playing in the stiffs is bound to be easier and perhaps his level is below the Premiership, but I seem to remember that he had the same problem in the Championship when we were there.

What he did have though was pace and I think fans underestimated the impact that this gave the team. However we now have other players who can provide that, so I suspect that Super Kev is gonna have to convert Reserve Team promise into first team action, otherwise fans opinions of him won't change and more importantly the opinion of our new management team might be different to that of our previous one.

Quite how that happens if it is a mental problem, is beyond me though and sadly I suspect beyond our Kev.
  • Options
    If he'd had any sort of composure he'd have scored. If not the first chance then the 2nd chance. And the keeper was their reserve keeper!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ltgtr[/cite]to be fair to him at watford, it was one of those games, the keeper is top-notch, the goal mouth was packed, the best strikers in the world miss those sort of chances and they are usually scored by 'a defender getting his first goal in 3 years/for the club'...

The keeper was their reserve.
  • Options
    Still remember Di Canio saying he was the most talented player we had at the club!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite][quoteThe keeper was their reserve.

so what, look at the 'reserve' keepers we've got/had...
  • Options
    He has a very fragile confidence does our kev. He said to a mate of mine about a year or two back that he knew what the fans thought of him and he wished he could change that.

So i reckon every time he steps on that pitch and hears the groans he goes to pieces... if only he hadnt got injured so soon after the liverpool hattrick!! who knows what might have happened.

Can pardew work his magic and instill the belief?
  • Options
    Please no one post anything in this thread about :- Superkev, Prospect or He's only young ..!
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I was told years ago by an `insider' who knew him well - sadly now deceased - that Lisbie had a very troubled upbringing and has quite a sad background. As Curb-It has said he has a very fragile confidence and I have often wondered why / if the club has ever considered some of the therapies that can be used to instil confidence.

As also mentioned above - I too have watched him for many years from the youth team upwards and he clearly has all the attributes but not the wherewithal to apply them - some of his early performances compared very favourably with Judas Defoe - and he looked like a real prospect.

His first goal last night showed what he can do taking the ball through the defence into the six yard box and chipping it up into the net past the keeper. His second - a header - came after he had been scythed down from behind outside the box and - despite been hassled and jostled by umpteen Arsenal players after he complained about the challenge - went into the box amid them still being hassled and then headed the free kick home between the two main culprits. Poetic justice!

It does seem a shame that he just can't seem to take this into first team games! And, of course, although fans are entitled to express their opinions it really can't help confidence getting stick from your own club's supporters!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ltgtr[/cite]'in-form striker'...dont you just know he's going to score THE goal that 'keeps us up'...

If that happens, I buy next season's home replica and have the name Lisbie on the back - you heard it here first....
  • Options
    agreed, i certainly don't think as supporters we have done our best to help Kevin and other players who suffer from low confidence over the years. We've always been pretty quick to jump on people's backs, and even in the good times there is always someone who is singled out as a scapegoat.

What i do know is that if anyone can get it out of Lisbie, it will Pardew, and there is still a part of me that thinks Lisbie is going to play an important part in this run in, and will suprise a few people.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: sporaddick[/cite] I have often wondered why / if the club has ever considered some of the therapies that can be used to instil confidence.

the best way to instil confidence is to score a goal...doesn't have to be a pretty one, just put it in the back of the net...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]agreed, i certainly don't think as supporters we have done our best to help Kevin and other players who suffer from low confidence over the years. We've always been pretty quick to jump on people's backs, and even in the good times there is always someone who is singled out as a scapegoat.

What i do know is that if anyone can get it out of Lisbie, it will Pardew, and there is still a part of me that thinks Lisbie is going to play an important part in this run in, and will suprise a few people.

agreedAfka.ByTheWayMySpaceBarOrAltKeyDontWork!EyeHopeYouCanUnderstandWhatEyeAmSayinInnIt
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    [cite]Posted By: ltgtr[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: sporaddick[/cite]I have often wondered why / if the club has ever considered some of the therapies that can be used to instil confidence.

the best way to instil confidence is to score a goal...doesn't have to be a pretty one, just put it in the back of the net...

I take your point ltgr but it just seems so noticeable that particularly in one-to one- situations for the first team you can almost see the confidence drain from him. Regular finishers do ooze confidence when they are in a rich vein of form but that also possess a certain arrogance in their own ability and shock rather than rueful acceptance when they don't score a goal.

Rommedahl too seems to suffer with confidence the closer he gets to goal and wants to offload most of the time when a shooting opportunity is clearly on. Maybe he could do with some hypno - psychobabble of some kind as well!

Who knows?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]agreed, i certainly don't think as supporters we have done our best to help Kevin

You say that but 19 goals in nearly 10 seasons - 3 of them in 1 game - doesn't exactly inspire us fans to get behind him does it?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    lets move to plan B then...we know that he's going to be on the pitch at some point, possibly even starting....instead of a collective groan when his name is announced, how about we do what we did for the infamous liverpool hat-trick game and get behind him...it worked wonders for him that day, it could work again...of course, what we really want is for the opposition to think he's a big danger to them and to man-mark him and keep him from drifting out of the game...
  • Options
    "You say that but 19 goals in nearly 10 seasons - 3 of them in 1 game - doesn't exactly inspire us fans to get behind him does it? "

Agreed - you can only give so much support until you feel as though you are pissing in the wind.
  • Options
    From arsenal's website:

There was little Arsenal could have done about Kevin Lisbie’s opener. A fine run followed by a nonchalant flicked finish, it oozed Premiership class ….
    Back to The Valley and Lisbie was undoubtedly the outstanding player on show. He was a constant threat to Arsenal centre backs Hoyte and Matthew Connolly.

LINK: www.arsenal.com/matchreport

I for one hope that Pards can give Superkev the confidence he needs to show us all finally what he is truly capable of.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]agreed, i certainly don't think as supporters we have done our best to help Kevin and other players who suffer from low confidence over the years. We've always been pretty quick to jump on people's backs, and even in the good times there is always someone who is singled out as a scapegoat.

Agreed AFKA - I think that Kev has been really poorly treated by our so called "supporters" over the years. Is it really so hard to get behind the guy? What is it about our crowd that they always have to find somebody to slag off: Kev, Kish, Hughes etc. At the end of the day we get the team that we deserve.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad Spinner[/cite]From arsenal's website:

There was little Arsenal could have done about Kevin Lisbie’s opener. A fine run followed by a nonchalant flicked finish, it oozed Premiership class ….

Back to The Valley and Lisbie was undoubtedly the outstanding player on show.

Poor old SuperKev. Didn't he always say he dreamed of one day playing for Arsenal........?
  • Options

Agreed.
  • Options
    this kid might be just what we need!
  • Options
    Poor old SuperKev. Didn't he always say he dreamed of one day playing for Arsenal........?

I thought that was Euell...