Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

advertisements for watches

Why is it that when advertisers use an american actor or actress to advertise a watch they use a picture of them holding the watch in their hand but when they use a brit the picture has them wearing it on their wrist ?...

Comments

• Funny you should mention that, that kept me awake all night wondering that...

:-)
  • edited December 2013
    I don't know but there probably is a reason.
    Car manufacturers (nearly) always show cars in UK adverts (see example chosen at random) with a three alpha plus three digit number plate rather than a current style plate - why?

I write a monthly column for a magazine about wristwatches, and I work for an advertising agency so this is very much my field of expertise!

You may be mostly right, but this ad stuck out in my mind for being an exception. Oh, and unintentionally camp.
  • Don't they also show watches at 10 past 10 in the photos as it's meant to be more aesthetically pleasing (or something?)
  • Do people still buy watches? So 20th century.
  • That is not camp, he is scratching his shoulder :-) RIP big man.
  • That's a great picture of a great actor.

Why would you not wear a watch?

I've never worn a watch. Been given them as gifts several times over the years, but never seen the point. When I was younger I never needed to give a shit about the time, and ever since I've been grown up enough to need ro know it I've had a mobile phone.
  • Sponsored links:

• I haven't worn a watch for 10 years. Like most people i use my phone.
  • never go out without a watch on - do like a nice watch
  • Can't beat a nice kettle.
  • never go out without a watch on - do like a nice watch

This
  • smiffyboy said:

Can be without mine feel something is not right if I forget to put one on

I'm the same. A form of mild panic comes over me if i realise i've left the house without either my watch or phone.
  • Love a watch.

Was in Clerkenwell yesterday and saw loads of really nice antique watches in the dealers windows, none of which I could afford.
    smiffyboy said:

Can be without mine feel something is not right if I forget to put one on

Agree

I've never worn a watch. Been given them as gifts several times over the years, but never seen the point. When I was younger I never needed to give a shit about the time, and ever since I've been grown up enough to need ro know it I've had a mobile phone.
    You seem like someone who’s quite into the technical side of things, so I’m surprised the precision engineering that goes into creating a mechanical watch doesn’t interest you. Maybe you just haven’t been properly introduced yet.

Despite the fact that a lot of people now use their phones, the watch industry is doing better than ever. Mainly due to the growth of the China market (there are a stupid amount of luxury watch brand shops here in Hong Kong) but also, surprisingly, because a new generation of watch admirers has grown out of the western world.
  • I feel naked without my watch.
  • cafcfan said:

I don't know but there probably is a reason.
    Car manufacturers (nearly) always show cars in UK adverts (see example chosen at random) with a three alpha plus three digit number plate rather than a current style plate - why?

If you reverse the image the letters come first and you can use the advert in other countries and save money. Although with today's digital technology it shouldn't really be a problem.
  • Same as Leroy , never worn a watch
  • Sponsored links:

• I have to say, whenever I walk past the Tag Heuer ads in Bluewater I snigger at the risible poses that Leonardo Di Caprio and Cameron Diaz are pulling with their dirty great beasts of watches wrapped round their fingers (??) while they gaze meaningfully into the distance.

Utterly ridiculous, but hey, Tag Heuer have a shit load more money than me, I'm sure they know what they're doing.

Oh, and in my opinion, perfume/after shave ads are infinitely worse.
  • Not worn a watch since I was a kid. Most men's watches look very ugly, saw some designer watches in a shop the other day about the size of your hand - looked awful. If I could afford a nice Art Deco watch then I would get one as an accessory, but I can't so I will stick to my phone/public timepieces/ asking policemen... :-)
  • To be fair Lordromford the watches look bigger in the pics and the fact they are not on their wrists. I wear a TAG, in fact I have it on as I type this and it is a great looking watch. And just to confirm I am in my 50's so prefer smart watches as apposed to designer watches that are the latest craze.
  • I bought a new watch the other week for £15 in River Island , stupid me , it fell apart one week later, you get what you pay for.
  • My next watch. Bremont U2
  • i only wear a watch if i go out but cant wear a watch playing sport , so if playing darts , snooker , tennis , table tennis anything watch off

i wear my watch on my right hand but most blokes wear on left , is that so they can play with themselves whilst looking at the time
  • The theory is if you are right handed the watch goes on the left and if you are left handed it goes on the right.
  • i only wear a watch if i go out but cant wear a watch playing sport , so if playing darts , snooker , tennis , table tennis anything watch off

i wear my watch on my right hand but most blokes wear on left , is that so they can play with themselves whilst looking at the time

So, are you saying watch-wearers are w*****s ?
    ;-)