Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Back to the future - no, forward to the past

A bit of pre-Christmas nonsense ....

With the future looking decidedly uncertain at the moment, and the present overshadowed by a series of narrow defeats and by Crystal Pulis winning two out of the last three (and blimey, Nigella Lawson a junkie - no wonder that cake turned out Upside Down), it's clear that nostalgia is the soundest market right now, especially after Sunday evening's extravaganza.

So it's time to bring up a subject that for a football forum has been scandalously neglected over the past months - of course I'm referring to trams, once a regular subject on here. There is an inexhaustible interest on here about our club and our district going back to distant times, so may I commend to you www.londontramways.co.uk for some wonderful pictures of South London streetscapes (btw, did it ever stop raining in the early 50s?). The thousands of pictures can be selected by location. There are many set in Charlton and Woolwich, and although it's undeniable that in most of them the tram gets in the way of a good picture, there is sure to be at least something of interest. The last trams were taken away for slaughter on 5 July 1952, and SE London was the last area in which they saw service. Enjoy !!

Comments

• Where's March 51 when you need him .... ?
  • Love the historic photographs of many places where I grew up. Unfortunately the trams are blocking the view!
  • I was taken down to the woolwich road ( aged 7 ) late at night to see the last london tram trundle pass back to new cross garage . Most london trams ended up in the scrapyard at the penhall rd tramworks ( near bottom of Charlton lane ) .
  • johnny73 said:

Love the historic photographs of many places where I grew up. Unfortunately the trams are blocking the view!

There's one superb picture taken from a distance near Woolwich Ferry that includes two trolleybuses and a fine view towards Woolwich Power Station.

• edited December 2013

I was taken down to the woolwich road ( aged 7 ) late at night to see the last london tram trundle pass back to new cross garage . Most london trams ended up in the scrapyard at the penhall rd tramworks ( near bottom of Charlton lane ) .

Wow - you were there for the last night !! Yes, Penhall Road was where the trams were broken up. This was quite separate to the Central Repair Depot (also in Charlton) near Angerstein Wharf, still reflected in the present-day street name Felltram Way off Woolwich Road.
  • I think GHF due to a twist of fate the tram that was planned to be the last one (the one I saw ) ended up being Londons 2nd last tram as an Eltham tram had broken down earlier that night and arrived at New Cross after the Woolwich tram perhaps March 1951 might have moore info .
  • I think GHF due to a twist of fate the tram that was planned to be the last one (the one I saw ) ended up being Londons 2nd last tram as an Eltham tram had broken down earlier that night and arrived at New Cross after the Woolwich tram perhaps March 1951 might have moore info .

I think that is correct, but all the formalities at New Cross Depot involving London Transport top brass carried on as planned. On Youtube you can see The Elephant Will Never Forget, which shows a little of the Last Tram ceremonies.

• edited December 2013
    Before a real expert comes along to correct us, of course the "last tram" refers to London's first-generation tramway, and we don't forget that there is a very successful second-generation tramway in operation since 2000 in Croydon. This is rather similar to VoTV when Rick Everitt used to chastise people who referred to Robert Lee's "last goal at The Valley". No, he'd say, it's not the last goal at The Valley - it's just the latest ....
  • My grandad worked on the trams after the war got aload of his stuff at home tickets from the last tram newspaper clippings his money bag he was a conducter.
  • Sponsored links:

• Oggy Red said:

Where's March 51 when you need him .... ?

Oggy would you believe it Londons last official tram had the number 1951.

• A tramtastic end of season for all you tram fans, with the last two away games at Sheffield & Blackpool.

• Let's hope it's a tramendous climax to the season !!

• A bit of pre-Christmas nonsense ....

With the future looking decidedly uncertain at the moment, and the present overshadowed by a series of narrow defeats and by Crystal Pulis winning two out of the last three (and blimey, Nigella Lawson a junkie - no wonder that cake turned out Upside Down), it's clear that nostalgia is the soundest market right now, especially after Sunday evening's extravaganza.

So it's time to bring up a subject that for a football forum has been scandalously neglected over the past months - of course I'm referring to trams, once a regular subject on here. There is an inexhaustible interest on here about our club and our district going back to distant times, so may I commend to you www.londontramways.co.uk for some wonderful pictures of South London streetscapes (btw, did it ever stop raining in the early 50s?). The thousands of pictures can be selected by location. There are many set in Charlton and Woolwich, and although it's undeniable that in most of them the tram gets in the way of a good picture, there is sure to be at least something of interest. The last trams were taken away for slaughter on 5 July 1952, and SE London was the last area in which they saw service. Enjoy !!

Nigella Lawson, a Junkie?

Nice, real classy.
  • Its a joke Ormiston.. she's the talk of the town, or the country.

If someone alleges: ‘Nigella Lawson habitually indulged in the use of Class A and Class B drugs, in addition to the abuse of prescription drugs, throughout the time the defendants were employed in the household."

Then you're going to say yes they might be a bit of a junkie... all alleged of course and not true she only used coke a couple of times according to her.

Anyway back to the trams.

• Let's hope it's a tramendous climax to the season !!

Cant decide whether to click "LOL" or Flag this.

Absolute cringe

• Oggy Red said:

Where's March 51 when you need him .... ?

All a bit before my time, Fossy. The only tram I've ever seen was in the Transport Museum in Clapham when I was a kid.

My Dad used to live on Eltham Hill in those days; he's told me that the 46 tram used to rattle past his front door.

March 51 tells great tram stories on here.
  • johnny73 said:

Love the historic photographs of many places where I grew up. Unfortunately the trams are blocking the view!

There's one superb picture taken from a distance near Woolwich Ferry that includes two trolleybuses and a fine view towards Woolwich Power Station.

Thanks. Is a great picture. Brings back memories.
  • Oggy Red said:

Oggy Red said:

W9here's March 51 when you need him .... ?

All a bit before my time, Fossy. The only tram I've ever seen was in the Transport Museum in Clapham when I was a kid.

My Dad used to live on Eltham Hill in those days; he's told me that the 46 tram used to rattle past his front door.

March 51 tells great tram stories on here.

For you Oggy a No46
  • Does anyone know of a website with pictures of places from days gone by without trams in the way (no offence!).

I do like looking at how places used to look.