Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Last Game at The Valley 1985 v Stoke City.

2»

Comments

• Options
    30 years ago today.

@chathmuseum is now a home for some of the souvenirs taken on the day including this sign and the whistle that blew time on the Valley. Has anyone got any photos or items salvaged from the Valley to share with the museum?

imageimage
  • Options
    I was gutted to my core at the time.
    As it turned out, after a long weary road, things actually got better, and are much better now, but my God I was sad then.
  • Options

30 years ago today.

@chathmuseum is now a home for some of the souvenirs taken on the day including this sign and the whistle that blew time on the Valley. Has anyone got any photos or items salvaged from the Valley to share with the museum?

imageimage

Isn't that Vince on the left of the photo?
  • Options
    How can you recognise somebody by their arse mate?
  • Options
    LOL, it's the hair.
  • Options
    Hairy arse?.......

joking.....
  • Options
    Bought all the Sunday papers. Still have all the reports. Will try and put them on here.

• Options
    Some kind words from Bob Stokoe (PDF 26)
  • Options
    The next day whilst delivering the Sunday papers, I took a look at the back of one - The Sunday Mirror I'm sure it was. And there in the middle of a big "V" for Valley of Death were some photos from game and quite prominently a picture of my Dad! I finished my round as quick as I could, raced home to tell him, but before I could, he said "I know....I've seen it". He'd came back with a couple of souvenirs, including some turf. Me and brother weren't allowed to go that day!
  • Options
    PDF 25 & 26.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The next day whilst delivering the Sunday papers, I took a look at the back of one - The Sunday Mirror I'm sure it was. And there in the middle of a big "V" for Valley of Death were some photos from game and quite prominently a picture of my Dad! I finished my round as quick as I could, raced home to tell him, but before I could, he said "I know....I've seen it". He'd came back with a couple of souvenirs, including some turf. Me and brother weren't allowed to go that day!
    Yep I got a lump of turf that day.
  • Options
    The newspaper cutting is the last pdf on the post above 
  • Options
    The crowd that day was 8858. A 2nd tier match against Stoke. On the day where we were being booted out & everyone wanted to be there.

Today the crowd would be 20k - maybe even full.

Probably why it wasn't viable to stay. Football was dying. Did the Premier League / Sky breath life into football or were their other factors ?
  • Options
    The crowd that day was 8858. A 2nd tier match against Stoke. On the day where we were being booted out & everyone wanted to be there.

Probably why it wasn't viable to stay. Football was dying. Did the Premier League / Sky breath life into football or were their other factors ?
    Sky and tv money was the eventual conduit for change but Roman Abramvovitch’s money was the real reason. He stopped a dominoe effect of clubs going under when he bought Chelsea and sent them on a massive spending spree. 
  • Options
    Mum lived in Blendon Road Blackfen at the time and I was staying for a couple of weeks.  I wonder if the current occupiers know that part of the hallowed turf grows in their back garden?
    So long ago!
  • Options

Sky and tv money was the eventual conduit for change but Roman Abramvovitch’s money was the real reason. He stopped a dominoe effect of clubs going under when he bought Chelsea and sent them on a massive spending spree. 
    I have a different view of that. I'd say Roman Abramvovitch’s money is the real reason a lot of clubs have gone under and many more have gone into administration. His money skewed footfall and its finances. Great for Chelsea though, they could buy players from teams just to ruin their season.
  • Options
    Mum lived in Blendon Road Blackfen at the time and I was staying for a couple of weeks.  I wonder if the current occupiers know that part of the hallowed turf grows in their back garden?
    So long ago!
    Same here, a portion of the lawn in my old house in Welling is from that day at The Valley 
  • Options

The East terrace being closed would have been a contributing factor to the crowd size.
  • Options

The East terrace being closed would have been a contributing factor to the crowd size.
    Would it? I just walked up and walked in. Don't think I got there particularly early and don't remember anyone not getting in.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Stig said:

Would it? I just walked up and walked in. Don't think I got there particularly early and don't remember anyone not getting in.
    Same for me and my Dad. Our attendances were pretty shit at the time. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stig said:

Golfie said that today the crowd would be 20,000 or more. With the east terrace closed, it would have been impossible for that number to get in. Not sure what that left the capacity at, but probably not more than the official attendance on the day.
  • Options
    Stig said:

Golfie said that today the crowd would be 20,000 or more. With the east terrace closed, it would have been impossible for that number to get in. Not sure what that left the capacity at, but probably not more than the official attendance on the day.
    I think it was pretty much full on the day....
  • Options
    Will dig out my old photos of the day. I think I was in denial and didn't believe we would be leaving the valley for good that day. I was also very young so was of the opinion that I would support Charlton wherever they played 
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    Stig said:

I think it was pretty much full on the day....
    Which is my point.