Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Why should we believe Tony Blair on the positioning

of the 15 navy personnel when clearly he lied about weapons of mass destruction to start a war with Iraq ?

Comments

• yeah, you're right, lets forget the 'i say old chap, i think your map is wrong so give us our people back' diplomacy rubbish and just nuke the buggers instead...
  • So you'd much rather believe the Iranians would you?

Truth is that nobody will ever know for sure, they're just pawns in a wider, much more serious, political/ideological battle.

Like him or not, to turn it into an issue about Blair is over simplifying it and probably missing the wider point.
  • It makes me laugh in these sort of situations. We, the British are always so outraged at anyone British being arrested or whatever. If the boot was on the other foot however......!
    FFS! We were obviously spying and got caught because the leadership in our armed forces these days reflects the leadership in our national sports teams - Shite!
    This government have done nothing since day one of their 10 year tenure apart from rip our whole defence structure to shreds.
  • because the iranians gave a position that was in iraqi waters and a couple of days later,they said 'em,about the positions we gave you...well,they were wrong by a couple of miles'
  • [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite] We were obviously spying and got caught because the leadership in our armed forces these days reflects the leadership in our national sports teams - Shite!.

that's how i see it. HMS Cornwall was nearby, they must of been tracking the Iranian movements on their radar, so why did they not intervene.

Worth noting that the Iranians apparently hate the British more than the Americans. The politicians behind this decision will be getting good acclaim from the people. Think this one could run and run.

Personally, i blame Curbs for not giving Bagheri a proper run....
  • can anyone explain how 'international waters' are divided ??
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]can anyone explain how 'international waters' are divided ??

Using an international water divider
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]can anyone explain how 'international waters' are divided ??

You know those ropes with a plastic ball on every ten foot that divide the lanes at your local swimming pool???
    Well the same but instead of yellow and red, they use the appropriate country's national colours.
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]We were obviously spying and got caught because the leadership in our armed forces these days reflects the leadership in our national sports teams - Shite!.

that's how i see it. HMS Cornwall was nearby, they must of been tracking the Iranian movements on their radar, so why did they not intervene.

Worth noting that the Iranians apparently hate the British more than the Americans. The politicians behind this decision will be getting good acclaim from the people. Think this one could run and run.

Looking at the mapping, HMS Cornwall wasn't that close, and doesn't have much of a top speed... certainly not enough to catch up with a quick launch boat which presumably was being used by the captured sailors/marines and the Iranians.

Can't see it going on much longer... they did a similar thing a couple of years ago and the captives were released fairly quickly. It's Tehran playing games....
  • perhaps we could settle it by playing a football match, england v iran...er, perhaps not...
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2007
    they can check via the on board GPS system, this is why the Iranians wouldnt give the gear and boats back last time.
  • we did play a CIFC v Iran game at Mottingham once, just after Bagheri arrived at the club.

we beat them, and it was played in a really good spirit
  • "we beat them, and it was played in a really good spirit "

So they didn't take any hostages - phew!
  • no, but there was rumblings about them having their hands cut off......
  • AFKA - Worth noting that the Iranians apparently hate the British more than the Americans.

Mate, I've been to Tehran a couple of times for work and talking the locals I think its safe to say that they don't hate ANYONE as much as they hate the American government, not the people neccesarily, just the government.

As for the Brits, well, the Iranians see us as the US's lapdog and you can't really dispute that.
  • 12 miles from the coastline is national waters.

Anyone remember the Cod War. I hate those Icelanders!