Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

QPR on the move

2»

Comments

• Newyorkaddick is dead right about the premium packages. It is this that Gold and Sullivan salivate about re the Olympic, not the 54k capacity. Similarly Swansea have a 20k stadium at the Liberty but their current premium package capacity as four times that of the Valley.

Don't agree with the out of town solution. This is London, not Bolton.
  • edited December 2013
    I also believe that NYA is right about the importance of premium packages. Whether we like it or not the game is changing.

The following excerpts from last night's Evening Standard are worth noting;

"QPR bosses aim to create an “O2 of the west” rather than a traditional football stadium when the club moves to a new 40,000-seater home.

QPR chief executive Philip Beard, recruited in 2011 from the O2’s US owners AEG, said the stadium could only work financially if it could attract uses other than football.

He said: “You can’t build a stadium for 19 home matches and leave it empty for 340 days of the year. We are looking to build a stadium with facilities that can be used all year round with events, conferences, dinners.”

Mr Beard, who helped turn the former Millennium Dome into the world’s most popular music venue, added: “We made sure that every single seat at the O2 had better lines of sight, acoustics and atmosphere than any other indoor arena. That is what we aim to achieve for every single seat at the stadium.”"

I don't think CAFC will ever move to a new Stadium on the Peninsula, but in my view that's bad news not good news, because we'll never compete, sustainably, in the Premier League without the kind of transformation QPR are aiming for. The irony is that in many ways we're much better placed than either them or Fulham to establish another top London Club.

Just my perspective. I know others think differently and I respect that viewpoint.
  • Off topic but world's most popular music venue?! Hahaha.
  • RedPanda said:

Off topic but world's most popular music venue?! Hahaha.

In terms of demand, the calibre of performers, how fast it sells out, the amount of money it makes, the total sales from the kiosks, tickets and the restaurants incorporated then yes it is. Name another stadium in the world that has as many top level acts every year.

MSG and Staples Centre in USA probably come close, but host sport as well so not as many concerts in a calender year.