Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Another Academy Product Gone

Last week I saw a tweet from Tomi Adeloye saying he had to make the biggest decision of his life,
On Friday he confirmed he signed for Millwall.
I know he is not a well known name and as he only went Millwall he is probably not fantastic but still probably good enough for us.
It comes in the same year we lost:
Kasey Palmer to Chelsea
Semi Ajayi to Arsenal
I know we don't have any money but we cant keep losing the best young players at the club especially for such nominal fees.

Comments

• Options
    If he was one of the et of the younguns he wouldn't have gone to Millwall, nothing I worry about imo
  • Options

If he was one of the et of the younguns he wouldn't have gone to Millwall, nothing I worry about imo

If we could only offer him a 1 year deal due to money and Millwall offered him 3 years for example of course he goes Millwall no matter how good he is
  • Options
    Haven't seen him but when looking out for the u18s results I don't think he's ever been a regular. Might have found out he's not likely to get a pro deal with us next season.
  • Options
    There's not a whole lot we can do about it. Premier league clubs are free to pick up whoever they want these days.
  • Options
    You will find that not many of the second year U18's will be taken on, but haven't actually been given a chance to play. Academy football is supposed to be about development, however football is very subjective, (see posts regarding Semi Ajayi - offered 6 months by us 2 years by Arsenal). If the match reports are right - and twitter, it would appear that our defenders are scoring more goals at the moment. Tomi was hardly given any games/starts scored 5 in 5 and was released (I believe). It's easy to say they probably weren't any good, but were they? Time will tell.
  • Options
    So we released this bloke and pretty much released Ajayi also. Palmer a big loss but never going to stop a player going to Chelsea very often sadly.
  • Options
    Releasing players and them turning up elsewhere is part and parcel of youth development and has always been the same. Coaches see different things and obviously take into account attitude, temperament and commitment. Only a handful of youth players ever break through and luck also has a part to play.

On a slightly different note I was at Gatwick early this morning and the England U16 team came in on a flight from Tampa, blimey what an entourage that was. There were as many support staff as there were players. When I got there I saw loads of Addison Lee drivers lined up and yep every person in that party got their own taxi. Wonder how many in that squad will end up playing in the PL?
  • Options
    Due to the EPPP selling academy products for next to nothing may become the norm.
  • Options
    Not all one way traffic

Academy graduate Harry Lennon has signed a new contract which commits him to Charlton until 2016

Academy graduate Harry Lennon has signed a new contract which commits him to Charlton until 2016, the club announced on Monday afternoon.

The defender, who featured on the first-team substitute’s bench for the first time in November’s win at Birmingham City, has been rewarded for his impressive form in Jason Euell’s U21 side with a new deal.

A left-footed centre-back, who has been at the club since U9 level, Lennon made eight appearances for the U21 side that won the Professional Development League 2 – South title last season.

The Romford-born defender will now be hoping to join fellow academy products Joe Pigott and Jordan Cousins by making his first team-debut before the end of the season.

• Options
    Ah yes splendid move.. that well renowed millwall youth academy... LOL
    Think that move says more about his future (or lack of) at Charlton.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Coached him til he was 14 and went CAFC, decent lad, bustling CF, scored about 60 in Kent league the season he left.
    Thing is like some will realise on here (and some wont) some lads develop quicker at that age so can look and have the physicality of someone 2/3 years older than them making the game look easy as they are playing against some kids half their size.
    When they get 16/17, and everybody has done adult growing the chances of them still looking light years ahead is minimal.
    At the same time as Tomi and my son in the Kent League there was a kid who was 13, looked like Ronaldo was European, his thighs were the size of my sons waist and had better stubble than me. He was everywhere training, Tottenham, Arsenal, West Ham but still playing for his sunday side as he lived in deepest Kent, however by the time was 16 everybody else had caught up in the size department and he was just unnoticeable on the pitch.
    Some players in my sons age group at the time didn't play for a team and didn't have a great interest in football till they were 14 actually progressed rapidly and got their 2 year contracts when they turned 16 at pro clubs making the poxy trips 3 times a week to Gills for my son look a joke as he was nowhere near when he turned 16, although he progressed and developed really late when he was 17.

The amount of players who got 2 year contracts when they turned 16 and I silently thought in my head 'fck mine, howd they get that' was a unreal. Tomi wasn't one of them to add.
  • Options
    Jarman said:

Has now signed for Stoke City , hmm.

• Options
    buckshee said:

Jarman said:

Has now signed for Stoke City , hmm.

Who has???
  • Options
    Tomi Adeloye?
  • Options
    Saw these two
    http://www.stokecityfc.com/news/article/under-18s-hold-everton-to-draw-1436775.aspx

http://www.stretfordendarising.com/youth/2014/04/29/u18s-manchester-united-3-2-stoke-city/

The second of which calls him a inform striker

But according to this he still plays for Milwall and he is not in the list of Academy players on the stoke website
    http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/tomi-adeloye/profil/spieler/317449
  • Options

Tomi Adeloye?

According to the Stoke Wikipedia page, he played for them this season just ended.
  • Options
    Definitely Stoke going on his Twitter account. I think he was on trial at Millwall.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    He wasn't good enough for us , got released a while ago. Near jan I think.
    Along with Stewart who went Peterborough.
  • Options
    Neither of these players stood out for us.
  • Options
    edited June 2014

Coached him til he was 14 and went CAFC, decent lad, bustling CF, scored about 60 in Kent league the season he left.
    Thing is like some will realise on here (and some wont) some lads develop quicker at that age so can look and have the physicality of someone 2/3 years older than them making the game look easy as they are playing against some kids half their size.
    When they get 16/17, and everybody has done adult growing the chances of them still looking light years ahead is minimal.
    At the same time as Tomi and my son in the Kent League there was a kid who was 13, looked like Ronaldo was European, his thighs were the size of my sons waist and had better stubble than me. He was everywhere training, Tottenham, Arsenal, West Ham but still playing for his sunday side as he lived in deepest Kent, however by the time was 16 everybody else had caught up in the size department and he was just unnoticeable on the pitch.
    Some players in my sons age group at the time didn't play for a team and didn't have a great interest in football till they were 14 actually progressed rapidly and got their 2 year contracts when they turned 16 at pro clubs making the poxy trips 3 times a week to Gills for my son look a joke as he was nowhere near when he turned 16, although he progressed and developed really late when he was 17.

The amount of players who got 2 year contracts when they turned 16 and I silently thought in my head 'fck mine, howd they get that' was a unreal. Tomi wasn't one of them to add.

This is an interesting post. I am a great believer of kids who have developed more quickly playing in an older age group for their benefit and also those who have not developed. It is the same as playing on proportional pitches - you can't let these factors give players an edge or encourage teams to play to these factors. Youth football should be all about developing players, not finding short cuts. Nobody benefits in the end.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yann897 said:

He wasn't good enough for us , got released a while ago. Near jan I think.
    Along with Stewart who went Peterborough.

Ye I think Poyet might be released as not sure he can cut it at Charlton Atletic Football Club.
  • Options
    mart77 said:

Had a chat with Tomi today. Really nice lad. Was happy for me to share some stuff on here to clear things up. He was really disappointed to leave but it was down to his relationship with Paul Hart. He made it clear that he would still be at the club but for this relationship and said again he would have stayed had he known Hart was leaving. He rates Steve Avory and still has links with the lads there. I reminded him that lots of lads have returned to the club after leaving and maybe we'll see him again one day. Like I say, really nice fella and will be interested to track his progress at Stoke.

not the first time player relationships with Hart have contributed to them leaving, didnt some one say Kasey Palmer left cos of Hart?
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    What was it about Hart, I wonder? Genuine question.
  • Options
    I see Semi is in line to play for Arsenal tonight in the cup
  • Options
    ross1 said:

I see Semi is in line to play for Arsenal tonight in the cup

Is that in the Quarters?
  • Options
    Arsene likes a semi, allegedly
  • Options
    Friend of mine who has an Arsenal season ticket has been saying Semi has been progressing well and was announced in the press conf yesterday he could be starting tonight in the cup.

Good luck to him.
  • Options

Last week I saw a tweet from Tomi Adeloye saying he had to make the biggest decision of his life,
    On Friday he confirmed he signed for Millwall.
    I know he is not a well known name and as he only went Millwall he is probably not fantastic but still probably good enough for us.
    It comes in the same year we lost:
    Kasey Palmer to Chelsea
    Semi Ajayi to Arsenal
    I know we don't have any money but we cant keep losing the best young players at the club especially for such nominal fees.

Looking back at this, it was not long after poyet established himself,
    if Palmer and Ajayi had stayed I wonder if they would be first team now

Ajayi I think has been on the Arsenal bench a couple of times, but nothing seems to have happened with Palmer.

and the subject of this thread has played a bit part in 3 of stokes under 21 matches this season
  • Options
    I think Palmer is still only 17. Same year as Joe Gomez. Whether or not he'd be ahead of JJ/Yoni/Jordan I do not know, however it would've been brilliant to keep him. I think he would've progressed quicker here too.