Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The week that was - 29th March 1987 - Full Members Cup final

edited March 2007 in General Charlton
Sunday 29th March 1987. Blackburn Rovers 1 (0) (Hendry 85) Charlton Athletic 0 (0) Wembley, Att: 43,789

Blackburn: O'Keefe, Price, Sulley, Barker, Keeley, Mail, Miller, Ainscow, Hendry, Garner, Sellars (Patterson 73). Unused sub: Branagan.

Charlton: Bolder, Humphrey, Reid, Peake, Thompson, Miller, Milne, Lee, Melrose, Walsh, Shipley. Unused subs: Gritt, Shirtliff.

Referee B. Stevens (Stonehouse, Glos)

Macott: Eltham Addick (Eltham)

Charlton, playing their first Wembley final for 40 years, dominated most of the game and created the better chances, which went begging. As was so often the case in the league.

Don Mackay, Rovers manager commented: "Charlton had far better players than us but you can't tell how they're going to react to playing at Wembley. I think they'd have beaten us on any other ground.

Comments

• Options
    I went to the game. It was pretty poor as a game. I felt we dominated possession without really looking very dangerous. They scored late on. We huffed and puffed to try and get an equaliser but there was very little time.

It was a reasonable day out and an experience of Wembley but I personally I felt it was a bit of distraction and not much else.
  • Options
    I was there but have little memory of the game. I was only 22 at the time and probably well pissed. In fact I was more than likely one the oiks that pee me off these days!
  • Options
    What an anti-climax, non-event match that was.

Couldn't believe I was actually at Wembley watching Charlton, never thought that would happen in my lifetime!

Grey miserable day and grey miserable match.
    Ralph Milne played......what was Lenny thinking????

God, I had more fun watching us get beat 3-0 at Halifax.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]I went to the game. It was pretty poor as a game. I felt we dominated possession without really looking very dangerous. They scored late on. We huffed and puffed to try and get an equaliser but there was very little time.

It was a reasonable day out and an experience of Wembley but I personally I felt it was a bit of distraction and not much else.

I also went - and agree completely with you say. They took the one chance they appeared to have.
  • Options
    Yeah, bit flukey, too.

I seem to remember it took a wicked deflection off a defender and sent Bob Bolder completely the wrong way.

Summed up our match. Not much singing on the coach home that day.
  • Options
    I went , but remember very little about the game itself. My main recollections were how impressive the stadium was, but that the view was crap from where we were sat, and the sense of anticlimax whilst being stuck on the coach in the carpark afterwards.
  • Options
    Missed out on this one.

It was my middle daughters 2nd birthday and we had a family party.
  • Options
    the fastest,dullest game ever.think we had about 15,000 spread all over the place,very pitiful attendance from us. i got a coach with my brother from the bakery in orpington that just took forever.

i was just in awe of wembley,never been there before and so wrapped up that charlton were playing there. don't remember a thing about the game,just seemed to be over in a flash for me.bit gutted we lost,but nothing really.and saw a bit of fighting in the car park,people running in and out of double deckers.

i always used to get a programme,but this one never joined my collection.
  • Options
    I was there as well can't really add to any of the other comments, thought it was my only chance to see CAFC at Wemberley in my life time. I remember climbing across the standing area fences to find some friends other than that a game we had chances to win but never looked like doing.

As for R Milne where did he go before Man Utd.....
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite].
    Ralph Milne played......what was Lenny thinking????

Probably his, according to: [cite] Watson, Mike (1985). Rags to Riches. David Winter and Son Ltd., 3[/cite]"electrifying pace and devastating changes of direction left defenders floundering in his wake". I would speculate that this Mike Watson chap was pissed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ralphie went off to Bristol City from us for about 70K and did OK for them (including knocking Palace out the League Cup) and then, to everybody's amazement, Fergie bought him for Man Utd.

I remember thinking at the time that Lennie must have fecked something up badly if Fergie was buying a bloke we had kicked out....turned out Lennie had it spot on all along!!!!
  • Options
    remember waking up the morning of the game feeling as sick as anything and my mum saying "if you feel that bad perhaps you shouldn't go to the game"

obviously I then made a miracle recovery but on Mum's instructions Dad made us go in the seats rather than stand.

I can honestly say the only vague memory I have is the Rovers goal.

Is it really twenty years since that match? Jesus i feel old
  • Options
    I was there and have hated Blackburn ever since

We went up on a Lewis coach from Charlton I think
  • Options
    15 at the time,met up at charing cross early walked around trafalgar square ,leicester square with a large group of charlton.Ended up in a boozer in bond street and got pissed (didn't take much being young).Remember climbing or being pulled from lower standing behind goal to upper level to met some other friends.I'm totally indifferent about the day,it was first time i had seen charlton play at wembley and apart from result had a cracking day out.
  • Options
    I remember we drove to the game and it took ages, got stuck in traffic with a load of northerners giving us stick.

Stood on that terrace behind the goal, was only a littlun and remember the view was terrible.

Still have the old mans ticket in the programme at home, think it was fiver on the terrace.
  • Options
    i was 17 & KB took me reluctantly ;-)
    all i remember was how long it took to get there on the train. how difficult it was to look cool in front of his mates on a crowded underground. how big Wembley was & how empty it looked with us behind the goal on the terraces with lots of space to move around in.

i was absolutely gutted when we lost & the journey home was grim.

that memory scared the bejesus out of me on the morning of our play off final...............i really didn't want to walk into Wembley half empty & lose again............i needn't have worried ;-)
  • Options
    20 years ago, blimey!!!! this game actualy seems longer ago. Got a coach up from the Victoria in Greenwich and agree with everyone else, it seemed to take days to get there. Still have my Full members flag somewhere.
  • Options
    Charlton always showed up in numbers on the big occasion we said...... must be trouble with the tubes and trains from South east London or something, all the Blackburn have got here....
    There were two main groups of Charlton on the bottom tier terracing, I was to the right of the goal. This was probably the biggest non-event of my Charlton supporting life.
  • Options
    Yep,went mad down the gym the week before and trained my legs hard!could hardly walk on the day!not due to alcohol!just aching legs!Total anti climax
  • Options
    Just remember us being outnumbered hugely & it being a distinctly non memorable game & Big Bob flapped at a cross near the end & it cost us the only goal. Whole Charlton at Wembley experience was underwhelming. However that was to change at the play off final years later.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    i went with my sis and Dad to this game and the main thing that sticks in my mind was how cold I was. It was actually quite sunny but unfortunately the end of the stadium we were in was in shade and bloody cold.

we also had to neck a load of cans of drink outside that my dad had brought with him and the stewards wouldn't let him take them in.

remember very little about the game other than the blackburn goal seeming to be very similar to that we conceded against norwich in the semi.
  • Options
    i was only 9 but had the flu so couldnt go.
  • Options
    Went was 8 don't remember much of the game but was in the shade also with a flag to wave that i still have and could not stop crying at the end apparently!
  • Options
    If only I had a £1 for everyone who said "it's only a micky mouse cup anyway" on the way out.....

A real low point in our history when the club was in such a poor state in nearly every way.
  • Options
    i was playing down the old Valley Leisure ground just along from Sparrows lane, and remember during the game seeing all the coaches leaving...
  • Options
    Went with me dad, was 11 at the time. Sure we got a coach from the Valley Club. Sat in the seats at the side of the pitch, about in line of where they scored. Remember a couple of other little oiks on their coach in the car park laughing and taking the pee with their Charlton Pathetic flag. Hated Blackburn after that.
    Vaguely remember trouble in the coach park as well.

Wasnt it Hendry's first ever goal or something?
  • Options
    First time at Wembley to watch my beloved Charlton, I was looking forward to it so much, having experienced such mind numbing agony travelling to shithurst every other week to watch us at 'home'. So I went the whole nine yards, did the whole dressing up thing, team shirt, hat, scarves, flags, air horn.

I was a 25 year old big kid on the day, so excited at the prospect. Disregarding the few hundred that watched us in the early rounds, I walked into Wembley expecting to see the hoards of Valley faithfull that refused to travel to croydon coming back to see the boys and at least some of the tens of thousands who drifted away from Charlton during the seventies and eighties.

Well I have to say that I can only remember a few other times being that depressed about a match before it had even kicked off when we only mustered 15,000 or so. I felt like doing a Charlton Heston and beating the ground shouting, 'Damn you all to hell', to all those that stayed away.

For me it was sort of inevitable that we we lost.

Fortunately my return 11 years later was soooooo much better and laid that particular ghost to rest.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: HOME & AWAY[/cite]Sunday 29th March 1987. Blackburn Rovers 1 (0) (Hendry 85) Charlton Athletic 0 (0) Wembley, Att: 43,789

Blackburn: O'Keefe, Price, Sulley, Barker, Keeley, Mail, Miller, Ainscow, Hendry, Garner, Sellars (Patterson 73). Unused sub: Branagan.

Charlton: Bolder, Humphrey, Reid, Peake, Thompson, Miller, Milne, Lee, Melrose, Walsh, Shipley. Unused subs: Gritt, Shirtliff.

Referee B. Stevens (Stonehouse, Glos)

Charlton, playing their first Wembley final for 40 years, dominated most of the game and created the better chances, which went begging. As was so often the case in the league.

Don Mackay, Rovers manager commented: "Charlton had far better players than us but you can't tell how they're going to react to playing at Wembley. I think they'd have beaten us on any other ground.

you missed:.....'Mascot - Eltham_addick'
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: aliwibble[/cite]I went , but remember very little about the game itself. My main recollections were how impressive the stadium was, but that the view was crap from where we were sat, and the sense of anticlimax whilst being stuck on the coach in the carpark afterwards.

Exactly the same for me. I don't remember very much about the day other than the excitement of going to Wembley and not being able to see very much of the game from behind the goal. Ho-hum.
  • Options
    Went on a mini bus with my football team. Half the kids decided they were going to support Blackburn. Sadly Ralph Milne was one of our better players that day which sums the game up really.