Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

recognise any faces from charlton school photo

A year ago today ( 16/12/2012 ) my uncle Bill Churchill passed away at the grand old age of 91. Am on gadget show his old photos we found a picture of the 1935 Fossedene 1st X1 , the players are named as follows
Meade
Snow
Smith
Mr King
Saunders L
Ray
Gair
Daniels
Hopkins ( capt )
Saunders C
Tedman
Churchill
Do any Charlton lifers recognise any great grandads grandads etc ?

Bill was a typical Charlton fan born in the woolwich road, working most of his life at Siemans / AEI in Charlton as a instrument engineer until the factory closed down ( 1975 ? ) then working at the Woolwich poly until retirement .

Comments

• Options
    I used to work at Delta Cables ( Johnson & Phillips) in the 80s. There was an old boy called Tom Tedman. He retired during my time there, so age wise he could be the same Tefman as in the photo.
    Before and after the war, Charlton was a hub of industry and many people left school and started a job with one of the local companies to remain there all their working life.
  • Options
    Hopkins may be related to Kev & Tony (grandfather?).

I knew a family called Saunders in Cherry Orchard.

But both common names so who knows.
  • Options
    Im a Saunders. Will ask my old man.
  • Options

Did you used to live in Speranza St?
  • Options

Did you used to live in Speranza St?
    Ive lived in Bexleyheath all my life mate (I'm 29), but my dad is a Plumstead/Woolwich boy so relatives might have. Will find out.
  • Options

I used to work at Delta Cables ( Johnson & Phillips) in the 80s. There was an old boy called Tom Tedman. He retired during my time there, so age wise he could be the same Tefman as in the photo.
    Before and after the war, Charlton was a hub of industry and many people left school and started a job with one of the local companies to remain there all their working life.

As kid living in Rathmore rd I often used to clime over the wall and play on the packing cases at the smaller J & P factory on the corner . I can also remember the large site in Victoria way and the factory next to fossdene school . Plenty of employment in those days with local companys such as J& P , Stones, Harveys, AEI, Duresco paints etc.
  • Options
    My son's played against J&P at the weekend they had a few first team players from the kent premier side as well?
    I am glad to report we won 6-1.
  • Options
    Long shot i know but the Smith in the photo is it Ted Smith right age lived and worked in that area and was working for Johnson and Phillps in 1960s and 1970s when he moved to Lee Green.