Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is there any chance that Boxing Day's game will be called off?

I just wondered how the pitch has coped with the storm, and with more rain expected what's the chance of the match getting 'rained off'? Anyone had any news?

Comments

• Options
    Xmas day and boxing day due to be dry, also if it's just windy tomorrow that should help dry the pitch out.
  • Options

Xmas day and boxing day due to be dry, also if it's just windy tomorrow that should help dry the pitch out.

Not sure about that according to the latest weather reports I've seen. It's the same tomorrow and similar, but not so severe, on Christmas Day.

Looking out the window at the moment, with the rain lashing down and the wind howling around, surely there's got to be some doubt about the game, particularly given the state of our pitch.

All I ask is call the blooming thing off early if it is in doubt and save me a long and needless drive. I shall be well p***ed off if we get a postponement at about 11.30.

PS Going to be fun at Arsenal tonight

• Options
    Strange watching news now, quieter xmas day and boxing day with windy but less rain tomorrow
  • Options
    It's grim here in hadlow kent just spent hours in car waiting for the aa
    And just knew there would be this thread to cheer me up!
  • Options
    Is D'Urso the ref?? He'd call it off.
  • Options

Purely from a selfish point of view, hope so because I can't get there :-(
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Purely from a selfish point of view, hope so because I can't get there :-(
    can't be there either. though I doubt it will be called off. xmas day looks alright as does boxing day.
  • Options
    You just know that an unknown megalomaniac referee is having orgasms as we speak at the thought of postponing the match at noon once everyone has travelled to the area.

D' Urso loved it.

Rather than giving a ref a power trip there is an ever inccreasing temptation with the persistent rain just to not bother to travel. Won't matter what he does then.
  • Options
    Going to wait and see how Xmas morning pans out. If Santa can make it through the storm then I'm sure our boys can.
  • Options
    lucky we are not at home or with out pitch it defo would be called off
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well it could snow or the players could be still pissed from the day before(Brighton players).
  • Options
    This pic of Sparrows Lane was taken about an hour ago - erm, we'll see... (credit to Sue Parkes)

• Options
    Slightly happier news from Sue though: "I haven't heard of any problems regarding the Valley pitch. It is actually only one pitch at the training ground that floods like this and that is because there is an underground stream runs the length of it, but have never seen it so bad. This time the whole width and 75% of the length of the pitch is under quite deep water."
  • Options
    Perfectly playable IMHO

for underwater Rugby
  • Options
    I'd call it 'moist', but looks fine for a spot of polo.
  • Options
    As long as we have Mike SALMON in goal and Mark FISSHHHH in defence we'll be ok !!!
  • Options

As long as we have Mike SALMON in goal and Mark FISSHHHH in defence we'll be ok !!!

Not forgetting Paul sturgeon in defence as well.

• Options
    ..and Neil Ship perley
  • Options
    I hear Levander Pyke from the Academy squad is relishing playing there.
  • Options
    Tamer Tuna joke?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PaddyP17 said:

This pic of Sparrows Lane was taken about an hour ago - erm, we'll see... (credit to Sue Parkes)

No worries.

It's just the water feature for the Pierre Bolangi Memorial Garden....

• Options
    And also there is a chance that any of the remaining fixtures can be called off, ffs!
  • Options
    What are those black spots on the pitch?Pigeons?
  • Options
    Pishing down at the moment. Hope it lets up soon.
  • Options
    Hope to make it but flooded in at moment just outside tonbridge
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Nice to see we've got a couple of those 'tanning lights' for the pitch to dry up the really wet patches.

With a bit of luck, Paddy would have got some more for Christmas, as just the two of them could take some time to work.

• Options
    I am sure the game will be on but I bet its going to be well slippery and will cut up quite bad
  • Options
    Looked very spongy and cut up a bit, but held up ok.

May be a different story on Sunday.
  • Options
    If it, as forecast, tips it down tonight and tomorrow that pitch will be a wreck by Sunday.

It cut up terribly today and there were areas all over the place where the ball was sticking. When the ball does run it bobbles all over the place.

No two ways about it, the pitch is bloody awful and needs some investment sharpish.