Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Morts upset at POTY

Dunno why I just thought about this, but....

When the POTY was held at the Black Prince, later on in the evening, one of the club sponsors called over to Paul Mortimer, thinking he was a waiter to ask him to fetch a round of drinks. I think I know who it was but wont mention any names to save embarrassment. Morts turned to me and asked 'is it 'cos I is black' sort of question.

Unfortunately for Mr Mortimer, there was a black waiter who had similar glasses and similar clothes.
The fella who made the error bought Morts a bottle of bubbly in an effort to calm things over, I really felt sorry for the bloke but everybody else who witnessed it thought that it was hilarious. Mistaking one of the era's heroes for a waiter is something that I am sure he still has nightmares about.

Was anybody else witness to this, or indeed, where you that embarrassed fella?

Comments

• Dunno why I just thought about this, but....

When the POTY was held at the Black Prince, later on in the evening, one of the club sponsors called over to Paul Mortimer, thinking he was a waiter to ask him to fetch a round of drinks. I think I know who it was but wont mention any names to save embarrassment. Morts turned to me and asked 'is it 'cos I is black' sort of question.

Unfortunately for Mr Mortimer, there was a black waiter who had similar glasses and similar clothes.
    The fella who made the error bought Morts a bottle of bubbly in an effort to calm things over, I really felt sorry for the bloke but everybody else who witnessed it thought that it was hilarious. Mistaking one of the era's heroes for a waiter is something that I am sure he still has nightmares about.

Was anybody else witness to this, or indeed, where you that embarrassed fella?

When was the event held at the Black Prince, TT ?

• I knew someone would ask that. I am sure that it was POTY, we didn't hold any other events there did we?
    Curbs was manager at the time, I know that doesn't tie it down much but I remember him making a comment about lack of funds to buy new players. He was clearly miffed about it.
    AB will know for sure, he has a good memory and great records.
  • I think it was a Back to the Valley Dinner at the Bexleyheath marriott
  • edited December 2013
    Player of the year has never been at the Black Prince or in Bexley borough. Back to The Valley dinner was held at the Marriott hotel in Bexleyheath town centre, if that helps.
  • Good man for buying Morts a bottle of bubbly to atone for his error. Should have asked for his autograph. Wonderful player for us.
  • So how many years back are we dragging?
  • Thankfully there was a lookalike which probably saved the day, though no doubt there is plenty of history in all of us that means a mistake like that could happen. I'm white and middle class and got mistaken for a waiter a couple of years ago at a Labour Party thing because I was wearing the same sort of jumpers as the waiters, so it can happen.
  • Why would anybody be offended if they were mistaken for a Waiter? Is there something wrong with Waiters? :-)
  • I was asked if I was a bouncer at the Lyceum one night....although as I was one of the few people there who didn't have green hair or a Mohawk, it's understandable.

• 16/17 years by the sounds of it...
    PL54 said:

So how many years back are we dragging?