Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Return of Semedo and Llera

13»

Comments

• Options
    ...who won player of the year at two clubs in a row...
  • Options
    edited December 2013

...who won player of the year at two clubs in a row...

What league were they playing in? League One? Oh okay, must be mustard then. Doesn't make him good. Just means he was better than the guff we had at the time.
  • Options
    I'm starting to think the bloke who said about people who know nothing about football may be on to something...

:-)
  • Options
    edited December 2013

I'm starting to think the bloke who said about people who know nothing about football may be on to something...

:-)

In that case, I will be sure to now regard both yourself and him as bastions of football knowledge and consider every opinion offered by either of you as cast-iron fact. Sorry for questioning the above notion. :)
  • Options
    No problem, but you make yourself sound silly virtually saying that everyone who plays at League One level is no good at football.

Semedo is not a flair player and doesn't have much exciting about his game, but he had great positional discipline, good technically in terms of touch, balance and keeping possession, wins more 50/50s than he loses, and will give a consistent committed performance.

He was clearly valued and liked by supporters as he won POTY at Charlton in League One and Wendy in the Championship. He won't though win the Ballon D'or though...
  • Options
    edited December 2013

No problem, but you make yourself sound silly virtually saying that everyone who plays at League One level is no good at football.

Semedo is not a flair player and doesn't have much exciting about his game, but he had great positional discipline, good technically in terms of touch, balance and keeping possession, wins more 50/50s than he loses, and will give a consistent committed performance.

He was clearly valued and liked by supporters as he won POTY at Charlton in League One and Wendy in the Championship. He won't though win the Ballon D'or though...

Yes... In League One. We're not in League One any more, and neither are Sheffield Wednesday - a team he struggles to start for. He also didn't win POTY at Sheff Wed in the Championship, either.

I haven't called him a bad player once, just don't think he's as good as some have made out. Bloke was a liability at times, made some silly decisions and had at least a couple silly red cards from unnecessary lunges.

My point was that just because he won POTY for us in a frankly piss-poor team, during a piss-poor season, a division below where we currently are, doesn't immediately render him a really good player in my opinion. As I've insinuated, I think he was pretty basic.

As for me "saying" everyone who plays at League One level is no good at football - well, I didn't say that. But yes, I am silly.
  • Options
    I just feel happy that with the standard of players we have now compared to when Llera and Semedo were playing.
    Semedo gave his all but was very limited and the fact that he won POTY shows where we were at the time.
    Watching the likes of Llera and Doherty in central defence was like watching players in slow motion.
  • Options
    The thing is with Semedo is that he really he is a central defender and in Portugal or Spain that's where he would likely play. In the English leagues, a central defender has to be strong in the air and Semedo is not that.

Semedo has better than average passing for a central defender, so he ends up playing defensive midfield. Unfortunatley, he tends to pass side ways and is a bit too slow for a central position. This is why Semedo gets sent off as he is caught for pace and ends up making a clumsy challenge.

He is an ok player but not really one thing or the other. He was player of the season but there was little competition that year in a mediocre Charlton team. I much prefer Jordan Cousins in the defensive midfield position, who is a lot more mobile and more comfortable further up the pitch.

Have no problems with Semedo, who gave it all when he played for us. He moved onto Wednesday and bonded with the supporters their, no problem with that. Maybe he is happier in Sheffield as he has more family around there or something. Whatever. Much prefer Cousins to Semedo any day of the year.
  • Options
    Semedo was always a player with limitations, but he knew it and played within those limits and used what strengths he had to good effect. He was never going to be thrilling or dynamic or even particularly interesting to watch, he had a basic simple job that he did well. I voted for him when he won POTY for us and I don't think I would change that with hindsight - at that time in those circumstances, he earned it.

That said, I can see Cousins taking Semedo to pieces if they face off on Sunday. A much better player already, and with potential as yet unfulfilled.
  • Options
    Semedo always gets a clap from me as he always gave 100%. Llera is a lovely guy but a 3rd tier centre back, as we all agree: an accident waiting to happen.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'd be surprised if Llera makes the first 11
  • Options

Drunkenly cuddled Semedo after a home game a few years back and sung 'he comes from Portugal ' to him and he sung the next line "he fucking hates millwall" so he'll always be held in high esteem by me

Haha really? That's quality from him.
  • Options
    Yep , think it was after the Leeds game when Sodje got a late winner first season in League One
  • Options
    who ? never herd of them before
  • Options
    edited December 2013
  • Options
    Semedo was a reasonable player but his biggest weakness was that he was very poor at moving the ball quickly through midfield and getting the team onto the front foot.

So often he would receive the ball and play a cautious square or backwards pass which meant that the opposition would have time to get back behind the ball and our chances of a counter attack were gone.

He always looked exactly what he was, a defender playing in midfield, much like Darren Pitcher.

Llera had real ability on the ball, great passer, but had no pace - that's why he was in L1.

Both decent guys and whole hearted players and deserve a good reception.
  • Options

Semedo was a reasonable player but his biggest weakness was that he was very poor at moving the ball quickly through midfield and getting the team onto the front foot.

So often he would receive the ball and play a cautious square or backwards pass which meant that the opposition would have time to get back behind the ball and our chances of a counter attack were gone.

He always looked exactly what he was, a defender playing in midfield, much like Darren Pitcher.

Llera had real ability on the ball, great passer, but had no pace - that's why he was in L1.

Both decent guys and whole hearted players and deserve a good reception.

And he panicked a lot ...
  • Options
    It will indeed be interesting to see how Cousins matches up against Semedo. I think it will be very favourable. I always liked Semedo as a player, but I think you need an extra midfielder to get the best out of him and that can be limiting. A good point was made about his sending offs - he wasn't comfortable against certain types of players and with Cousins' breakthrough, Stephens is looking to be an excellent midfileder. They both have good energy levels and have elevated an ok midfield at this level into a very good one IMO. We have the sort of midfield now that I don't think Semedo will enjoy playing against.

You see centre halves with a lot less ability than Llera, but they can play at a higher level as their pace gets them out of jail. It isn't that Llera is not quick, it is that he is positively slow. He knows this and has to adapt his game which exposes his weakness against certain opposition. I would say a good player to have on the bench though - if you need a goal from a centre half, there are not that many better. But he is a League One player. As for Semedo - definitely Championship and in a side that covers his weaknesses, he could even be a top Championship midfielder - but lower championship in most cases.
  • Options
    Thoughts on Semedo today?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I didn't notice him that much, so on that basis I'd say he had an alright game.

Mind you, I thought he looked miles slimmer.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Did exactly what he used to do with us.

Good a picking up lose balls, putting his foot in, breaking up play and generally being a nuisance.

However, 2 or 3 times he got into a decent position around our box but was completely clueless and ended up playing it straight back to our goalie

I've got a lot of time for Semedo. Always did his best for us.
  • Options
    Did alright, was the player I remember. Cousins beat him a couple of times in the first half, left him in the dust but he covered full backs well and that song of his got an airing a couple of times. Not convinced you can rely on him in a 4-4-2 at this level though.
  • Options

Did alright, was the player I remember. Cousins beat him a couple of times in the first half, left him in the dust but he covered full backs well and that song of his got an airing a couple of times. Not convinced you can rely on him in a 4-4-2 at this level though.

Cousins was had him in his pocket for a while most definitely! Pretty much entirely agree with this analysis

As someone posted above, he definitely looked a lot slimmer!!!
  • Options
    It's odd to boo players like Semedo who tried their best, yet I remember most of the crowd applauding Sam Sodje off the pitch when he got a red card v Swindon for a ridiculous foul that took us down to 9 men.
  • Options

Still remember Llera away to Colchester, one of the worst performances i've ever seen from a Charlton player.

I remember him scoring a last minute equaliser against Swindon when we were down to 9 men!
  • Options
    edited December 2013

Thoughts on Semedo today?

Thought he was much like how he was for us. Unspectacular, knows what his job is, but such limited footballing ability. Did have a chuckle to myself when his shot went out for a throw-in. Also thought it was interesting how much Reda Johnson shouted at Semedo after we scored. Not sure if it was Semedo's job to pick up Stephens, but whoever it was didn't do particularly well! Two poor sides if we're honest, a point probably fair. Let's hope Millwall are in deeper trouble than us in a few weeks' time.
  • Options

Splodge said:

It's odd to boo players like Semedo who tried their best, yet I remember most of the crowd applauding Sam Sodje off the pitch when he got a red card v Swindon for a ridiculous foul that took us down to 9 men.

We all made a few quid out of it.
    Brilliant