Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Could Church Be Converted To Winger

2»

Comments

• Options
    Forrest Gump Spongefoot ... Love his effort but omg he's testing my Tourette's to the limit
  • Options
    Absolutely hopeless. Don't care what people say about effort and running around...he is shite.
  • Options
    The man is Pony.
  • Options
    Can we try to convert him to a striker first, because he sure as hell isn't one now.
  • Options
    I've been supportive of him this season , because at least he's a trier, I thought he had a really poor game today, it was really frustrating to watch, I lost my rag with that finish at the end, he really needs to work harder on his finishing and composure.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

boogica said:

Church is shite .

Have you thought about trying a different diocese?
    Proper shite.
  • Options

I've been supportive of him this season , because at least he's a trier, I thought he had a really poor game today, it was really frustrating to watch, I lost my rag with that finish at the end, he really needs to work harder on his finishing and composure.

This is pretty much where I stand. Oh, and I'd still have him over two Sordells and a Dave Mooney.
  • Options

This is pretty much where I stand. Oh, and I'd still have him over two Sordells and a Dave Mooney.
    would be interested to see Goals to minutes ratio but think Sordell maybe ahead of Church
    Sordell gets 5 minutes if he is lucky
    Church plays the whole match and cant score would be interested to see what would happen if Sordell got 2 or 3 full 90 minutes
  • Options

would be interested to see Goals to minutes ratio but think Sordell maybe ahead of Church
    Sordell gets 5 minutes if he is lucky
    Church plays the whole match and cant score would be interested to see what would happen if Sordell got 2 or 3 full 90 minutes
    Not sure how accurate this is, I've not checked any of the stats but......

statbunker.com/competitions/BestStrikers?comp_id=451&club_id=7
  • Options
    Be nice if Sordell got a run, instead of his stats being made up of bench minutes. Maybe he should start wasting energy by running around like a nutter and be rewarded with a first team place
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Church has proven he is not good enough, his shots are so weak and therefore never trouble the goalkeeper. Surely he can bulk up and resolve this issue meaning that he could in the future become a lot better. In the meanwhile sordell should be given a chance with yann for a few games, but it's clear that powell does not rate him so it's most likely Bolton will take him back to loan him elsewhere.
  • Options
    Churchy is our new Luke Varney.

He does everything right but score.

Playing him as a wide forward, rather than a wide midfielder may work.
    But not in the same team as Stewart, as that would defensively unbalance our midfield.

• Options
    Yes, perhaps 4-3-3 as a wide striker is the only place he could play.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Yes Danny - I think when you have players such as Wiggins and Solly - you could accomodate Church as a wide third striker with license to come inside, so he almost has a free role. There could be some milage in that if we had a good pacy striker to play with him and Kermogant.....But we don't.

Would be interesting if we did though.
  • Options
    Jonatan Johansson was played in a similar role by Curbs - he was a much better finisher than Church but he wasn't really robust enough to play as a true centre-forward, hence the regular switch to the wing I guess.

As others have noted, Luke Varney was another striker who ended up on the wing - at times in the 1990s meanwhile, Garry Nelson was virtually a winger such was the extent of his channel running.
  • Options
    As you have mentioned him -I see a lot of Garry Nelson in Church actually.
  • Options
    i know he is all we have (and we have a very threadbare squad) ...i really dont rate Church at all ....he really lacks innate football intelligence as a striker ...as a winger i think hed do a very good job at non league level

thats my opinion ..wish i could be more constructive
  • Options
    No.

People used to say this about Varney because they saw him making runs out wide ignoring the rest of a wide players role. Yes he can put a decent cross in sometime but that doesn't make him a wide player.
  • Options
    Not as a winger but as a third striker he would have something to offer I think. Having said that - the problem is that he is currently our second striker.
  • Options
    I suppose if he is out there he may not have to try and win a header, or turn around look at the opposing player and just foul him! Like he does every time up front. So frustrating!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2013
    Church's biggest problem is that he tries too hard.

Everything he does is at full stretch and breathing hard.

Using his loaf to pick his runs, rather than chasing down every lost cause, could conserve energy and allow him the composure to look up and hit the target.
  • Options
    Church is quality as far as I'm concerned, I'd rather 11 churches than some of the players who only turn up 50% of the time
  • Options
    Yes, his energy levels and effort has its benefits, but it is often let down by a lack of quality. If I was the manager and had a pacy goal scoring striker in the side and Kermogant's class, I would look to see if there was a way to accommodate the qualities Church has in the side. It might not be possible, but i'd have a go.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    When he was first signed, Chris Powell remarked that Church had terrific movement off the ball, making runs, etc

That movement needs to be harnessed selectively and creatively, rather than continually chasing and pressing defenders for 90 minutes.

Over to the coaching staff.

;o)

• Options
    He's turning me muslim