Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Michael Schumacher

13»

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Sorry to say but I think he's going to wish he was dead. He is/was an ultra-fit, ultra-competitive, ultra-active man. There's almost no chance he'll ever get back to any sort of real fitness/mobility and that, for him, is probably worse than death.
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

Sorry to say but I think he's going to wish he was dead. He is/was an ultra-fit, ultra-competitive, ultra-active man. There's almost no chance he'll ever get back to any sort of real fitness/mobility and that, for him, is probably worse than death.

I think this is why he is being woken up as slowly and as naturally as possible, the notion being that he might come out of it as close to his former self as possible, hopefully we will see him make a full recovery, and whilst I doubt it, all we can do is hope.

Said it before and I'll say it again, my all time sporting hero
  • Options
    Did anyone watch Louis Theroux's new documentary On the Edge of Life on Sunday on BBC2? 1 of the individuals he filmed was in a coma as a result of a heroin overdose, essentially written off as never being able to recover, or if he did, would be in a permanent vegetative state. After 7 weeks, he regained consciousness to quite a high degree that he could say a few words, recognise family members. After another 7 weeks of rehabilitation, he could walk and function relatively well. The doctors said this was a minor miracle, but his family refused to give up. Obviously judge each case as it comes, and Schumacher's long past those timescales, but hopefully something similar could happen here.

I don't care for F1 at all, but I know he has been very generous with charitable donations, so would be great to see it happen.
  • Options
    the difference maybe with Schumacher being super-fit might assist him and give him a better chance than most.
  • Options
    I assumed he'd recovered, as I'd not heard anything about this for a while until I heard the news on the radio today.

Really wish him a full recovery.
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

How can you possibly come out with such garbage, do you know him? don't you think he'd want to see his family again, no matter what state he's in? I really don't think he'd be that selfish to wish he'd be dead.
  • Options
    edited April 2014

Rizzo said:

How can you possibly come out with such garbage, do you know him? don't you think he'd want to see his family again, no matter what state he's in? I really don't think he'd be that selfish to wish he'd be dead.
    No, of course I don't know him personally. I do however have a very close friend who was very active in all sorts of sports until struck down with a degenerative illness. I also have 3 friends suffering from other degenerative illnesses. All of them suffer from depression, 2 are borderline alcoholics, 1 has attempted suicide and 1 other has admitted thinking about it. So it's hardly a stretch to see that an adrenalin-fuelled man like Michael Schumacher may feel the same if deprived of the thing that drove him for most of his life. That is of course, assuming his brain wakes up sufficiently to have any sort of opinion on the subject.

That being said, I do also have another friend who was paralysed from the waist down in his late teens and after wallowing in self-pity for a while ended up being a successful wheelchair athlete so it can certainly go either way and will of course depend on the extent of the permanent damage and also the mental attitude of Schumacher.

• Options
    Rizzo said:

Jesus your happy. Mr Gloomy has arrived. I hope that the warrior pulls through this sad situation. Such a well liked bloke sad to hear about him like this. Schumacher keep with us. Legend.

• Options
    Risked death or serious injury every week and yet this happens while at leisure with his family
    Hope he pulls though the man is a legend
    Would think he has the mental strength to deal with the outcome whatever that may be?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Has left hospital and out of coma! You do wonder what his brain function is like after being in a coma so long
    http://www.itv.com/news/story/2014-06-16/michael-schumacher-hospital-coma/
  • Options
    Said it before and I'll say it again, the kind of person who in another years time will probably be back skiing in the very same place, fully recovered.

Good luck and best wishes Michael, my sporting hero when I was growing up
  • Options
    This and the Sky News reporting of this is extremely vague - you still have no idea what state he is in. Is he lucid? Talking? Vegetative?

The last we heard was his publisher stating something along the lines of him never recovering to any real extent. I respect that he deserves his privacy but this is a global superstar and there are millions of people that just want to know what is going on

• Options
    Just pleased that he is out of danger.
  • Options
    I read only the other day the Doctors saying they dont think he'll ever wake up from this because if he were going to wake up he would have done so by now.

I guess though the brain like the rest of the human body can be so unpredictable Docs dont truly know and there is always hope for him
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

This and the Sky News reporting of this is extremely vague - you still have no idea what state he is in. Is he lucid? Talking? Vegetative?

The last we heard was his publisher stating something along the lines of him never recovering to any real extent. I respect that he deserves his privacy but this is a global superstar and there are millions of people that just want to know what is going on

people very rarely make a full recovery after being in a coma for so long, a few days is "normal" for a coma, a couple of weeks and you might be okay. Anything more than that and it's usually because of permanent brain damage of some kind. Who knows though, stranger things have happened.