Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kevin Nolan (the "footballer" as opposed to the journalist)

Two sendings off and a booking in last four games. As his Manager rightly points out today's was totally irresponsible and with the ball a mile away one wonders why, when in the full view of all, he did such a stupid thing.

I'm not suggesting for one minute that there is a connection between him and the likes of Sam Sodje. But, with the spotlight even more on the actions of professional sportsmen, it does make you wonder quite what entered his head when he decided to do what he did.

Comments

• Options
    Did you also see the Newcastle sending off? Awful challenge. A real leg breaker!
  • Options

Did you also see the Newcastle sending off? Awful challenge. A real leg breaker!

I did but Debuchy would argue, albeit wrongly, that he was going for the ball.

Nolan "assaulted" the Fulham player with the ball a mile away. And he is the Captain of a Club deep in the mire and will now miss four vital games.

Is he trying to engineer a move?

• Options
    edited January 2014
    West ham fans hate him, at a game vs Norwich he got the ball kicked in his face and a large proportion of west ham fans were shouting comments like 'hope you get brain damage', then proceeded by '2 men couldn't carry, couldn't carry Nolan' etc etc
  • Options
    He's come in for some heavy stick on their main forum, pretty much all of them want him stripped of the captaincy and some want him sold.
  • Options

West ham fans hate him, at a game vs Norwich he got the ball kicked in his face and a large proportion of west ham fans were shouting comments like 'hope you get brain damage', then proceeded by '2 men couldn't carry, couldn't carry Nolan' etc etc

Yes they do indeed. He has had death threats and all sorts from them.

Maybe he's getting sent off to spite them?
  • Options
    I thought this was about THE Kevin Nolan, not some mediocre Premiership player.
  • Options

Writes a good match report, though.

Thread title duly amended for those easily confused ;-)

• Options

Writes a good match report, though.

Thread title duly amended for those easily confused ;-)

Surely Kevin Nolan is no mere "journalist" - clearly you mean "literary genius".....:)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just shown this to a Hamster in work and his comment was that Nolan is a tw@t of the highest order, doesn't deserve to be in the side and certainly shouldn't be captain.

If he's the "father figure" that has been "looking after" Andy Carroll, it explains an awful lot!
  • Options
    Apparently their Ravel Morrison has gone AWOL too.
  • Options
    Sam clearly likes to take a risk but the combined gamble of Nolan, Carroll and Morrison may well end up being his undoing. Anyone like to guess the weekly wage bill for those three combined - probably not too far short of £200K for doing absolutely nothing.

Equally, those three out plus the likes of Reid, Collins, Tomkins and Vaz Te injured and Petric released the Hammers squad looks somewhat thin.
  • Options
    From the Guardian:

Defeat was bad enough for West Ham at Craven Cottage but what must have made it all the more annoying for their fans was the contrast between their former player Scott Parker, who was voted the club's player of the year three seasons out of four, and current captain Kevin Nolan. Nolan has served the club well but recently he has become a liability: two senseless red cards in his last three appearances have plunged an already depleted side even deeper into relegation trouble. "I have to find out what's wrong with him because his mentality is not right at the minute," said Sam Allardyce, as perplexed as he was vexed. Nolan faces a four-match ban and will struggle to get back into the side if the club make wise use of the transfer window. Parker, meanwhile, will be integral to Fulham's efforts to ensure the Hammers fall.

theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/jan/02/premier-league-ten-talking-points
  • Options
    I once did an interview with David Gold about a year ago and he insisted that Nolan had the capabilities to captain England.
  • Options

I once did an interview with David Gold about a year ago and he insisted that Nolan had the capabilities to captain England.

Captain England at what?
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Captain England at what?
    Kick boxing
  • Options
    Kevin Nolan fined £100,000 by West Ham for costly red card against Fulham
    I thought that was a bit harsh until I found that was just two weeks' wages for him! Unbelievable...
  • Options
    I think 2 weeks is the maximum they're allowed to fine him
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Kevin Nolan fined £100,000 by West Ham for costly red card against Fulham
    I thought that was a bit harsh until I found that was just two weeks' wages for him! Unbelievable...

My estimate of £200K per week for Morrison, Nolan and Carroll might be quite near the mark then - as you say "unbelievable" but I'd like to think that we might make a mistake with one such player but three?
  • Options
    When do West Ham go to the Olympic stadium - might be a nice trip for us both if you haven't already been.

Doesn't look too great for the Hammers - injuries and now captain getting himself sent off.

• Options
    he seems to have lost the plot lately .. he's worked so hard for the Hammers and for Bolton before that, it must be frustrating to see all your efforts go to waste, especially when you are not getting any younger .. Allardyce is being a little bit disingenuous here ... happy to use Nolan as a hatchet man, crocodile tears and (possibly) false outrage when he goes too far
  • Options
    It's a tough one, would love to see Wet Spam go down but not if it keeps Palace up!
  • Options

he seems to have lost the plot lately .. he's worked so hard for the Hammers and for Bolton before that, it must be frustrating to see all your efforts go to waste, especially when you are not getting any younger .. Allardyce is being a little bit disingenuous here ... happy to use Nolan as a hatchet man, crocodile tears and (possibly) false outrage when he goes too far

Not the case at all, maybe for the first season, but last season and this season especially, not so much.

The west ham fans don't like him for a reason, he's lazy and comes across massively uninterested
  • Options

I don't think Nolan has ever been a hatchet man for Big Sam, getting in the box and scoring crucial goals is more his role. A bit like Jackson has been for us (though hopefully Jackson won't get a second red card as well!)
  • Options
    If KN is training with Leyton Orient has anybody from CAFC phoned him and asked him if he'd like to try his hand in the Championship? If Luzon's after an attacking midfielder to add depth to the squad, at least until a few more of the sick, lame and weary have returned, would KN's combination of experience and attributes not fit the bill? He's consistently scored goals throughout his career to date. Obviously CAFC ain't gonna pay him anything like what WetSpam were bunging him but it would be more than the nothing he's earning at the moment.