Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Broadband issues

Got up this morning and can't get on the Internet other than 3G on the phone. Tried plugging MacBook in direct via Ethernet cable and still nothing. Tried all the obvious switching off , unplugging , changing micro filters but still nothing . Even re booted the router and restoring to factory settings and even swapped for an old router.

Bit the bullet and rang sky and they did loads of things like testing the line but still nothing.

Now weirdly there's a couple of random websites I can get on , google being one. But other than that I can't get on anything else on the laptop , two iPhones or tablets.

Anyone got any ideas as I'm totally flummoxed

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2014
    buckshee said:

Got up this morning and can't get on the Internet other than 3G on the phone. Tried plugging MacBook in direct via Ethernet cable and still nothing. Tried all the obvious switching off , unplugging , changing micro filters but still nothing . Even re booted the router and restoring to factory settings and even swapped for an old router.

Bit the bullet and rang sky and they did loads of things like testing the line but still nothing.

Now weirdly there's a couple of random websites I can get on , google being one. But other than that I can't get on anything else on the laptop , two iPhones or tablets.

Anyone got any ideas as I'm totally flummoxed

Thats an external network issue, Google is cached locally so you can normally get that so the problem is most likely at the IXP level where traffic is exchanged.

Not much you can do but wait for Sky to fix it.
  • Options
    I think your broadband is broke mate.
  • Options
    Open up a command prompt (or terminal if you're on a mac) and type the following:

ping 4.2.2.2

If you get a response back like this:

Pinging 4.2.2.2 with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 4.2.2.2: bytes=32 time=7ms TTL=56
    Reply from 4.2.2.2: bytes=32 time=8ms TTL=56

Ping statistics for 4.2.2.2:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 7ms, Maximum = 8ms, Average = 7ms

then you are at least connected to the outside world. If you get this or similar:

Pinging 4.2.2.2 with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 192.168.1.2: Destination host unreachable.

Ping statistics for 4.2.2.2:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss)

then you have no connection to the world and are just seeing cached versions of the sites you appear able to access. AT this point, it's likely to be an Exchange fault - but not impossible that your router has gone tits up.

If you do get a response from your ping, then try this:

ping www.google.com

If you get ping responses back, then you should be OK - and will need to make further checks on your line (quality could be bad, there could be latency, your ISP could be experincing routing issues or dozens of other things). If you DON'T get ping responses back, then DNS (translates IP addresses into user-readable names) is at fault - your hosts file may have been hijacked by malware, or your DNS servers may have changed from the ones provided by your ISP, or the ISP's DNS servers themselves may be experiencing problems.
  • Options
    I'm pretty certain it's an outside fault so if I have to sit and wait then so be it. To be honest it's the first time in the 8 years I've had sky broadband that I've had to call them with an issue.
  • Options
    Is your house phone working?
  • Options
    Sky is down in Greenhithe at the moment if you
  • Options
    Should say if you are in that area!
  • Options
    I think Buckshee lives in Greenhithe now.
  • Options
    Cheers folks. Through the power of twatter last night I realised that it was a sky issue in Greenhithe. All back up and running now.