Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

balls are a very strange colour!

No, not a request for medical assistance from lifers with experience of STDs, but a query about the Arsenal Tottenham game. What colour is that Ball? And why? I'm colour blind and I can barely see it on my telly. Wonder what it will look like on our vegetable patch of a pitch. Orrible!

Comments

• Options
    Was gonna start a thread on this, I think it's pink with blue swishes on it but it might be orange - looks all wrong whatever it is.
  • Options
    Been outside, not checking but probably blue.
  • Options
    Been outside, not checking but probably blue.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    cheers MOG. So its "mango". So there we have it. I hate to burst Nike's bubble but it sure as sh1t ain't "high visibility".
  • Options
    Mango pink, designed as the winter ball for the FA Cup, designed this way so it works with Hawkeye at grounds that have it, and the ball will be white from Round 5 on
  • Options
    Is there any tradition left in the FA Cup?

(The answer is no)
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    cafctom said:

Is there any tradition left in the FA Cup?

(The answer is no)

Whats wrong with a good old fashioned Pigs bladder?
  • Options
    Match ball colour have changed a fair few times in the last 150 years
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I wonder of any players who have colour blindness or colour identification issues (it's extremely common) have any problems. I'm genuinely struggling to see the ball, even on close up shots. Even if it affects their reactions by 10% its a potential issue.
  • Options

I wonder of any players who have colour blindness or colour identification issues (it's extremely common) have any problems. I'm genuinely struggling to see the ball, even on close up shots. Even if it affects their reactions by 10% its a potential issue.

You need to sign up to referee college immediately SB, a new career awaits!
  • Options
    Cheers Soapy. But my parents were married and my bowels work so I fail on two of the three key tests!
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    They used a silver ball in the MLS cup final a couple of seasons ago and it was virtually invisible under the flood lights. Style over functionality.
  • Options
    That "mango" ball was actually quite difficult to see against Arsenal's predominantly red advertising hoardings or against the crowd background. (Not that the ball was in the air quite as much as I'm used too!)
  • Options
    The ball evolved into being predominantly white because that is the best colour for it. The only reason to have a ball of a different colour is if you are playing on snow- which doesn't happen anymore!!!!
  • Options
    What Muttley said!
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/365578/Charlton-s-Johnnie-Jackson-not-a-fan-of-the-FA-Cup-ball

The Charlton captain wants to go back to the traditional white ball after organisers attempted to sex-up the competition a little with a racy new ‘pale orange’ one.

The Nike ball has split opinion on the pitch and terraces with many claiming it looks pink.

Jackson said: “I like the ball, but I’m not too fond of the colour.

“It’s just a bit feminine. What’s wrong with white? I don’t see what the problem is.”

Jackson is happy to be playing at Hillsborough today in the fifth round against Championship rivals Sheffield Wednesday.

“It inspires me playing there,” said the 31-year-old.

“I’m part of that generation that was brought up as part of the FA Cup being a huge competition and remember semi-finals at Hillsborough.

“It is a historic old ground and I have always enjoyed playing there. I’ve never been past the fifth round and had a bit of a nightmare in it once against Manchester City at Spurs.

“I’m probably the last of the kids who grew up watching the FA Cup final dreaming of playing in one. They probably dream of the Champions League and other things now.

“The cup still has a real allure for me. I had a little joke with some of the foreign boys when we were going to Oxford in the replay telling them how serious it was to try and get them up for it.”

Charlton have plenty of new faces looking to make an impact.

One of them is World Cup winner Lilian Thuram’s cousin - goalkeeper Yohann Thuram-Ulien - who is on loan from Standard Liege.

Jackson added: “He trains hard, but his style is a bit different to what we are used to.

“It’s the European style of goalkeeping - it’s a bit more flamboyant. They tend to punch a lot more than English goalkeepers.

“But as long as he keeps it out of the goal that’s fine. His English is good and when you get to know him he is quite vocal on the pitch. He is a big guy and isn’t afraid to say his bit.”
  • Options

The ball evolved into being predominantly white because that is the best colour for it. The only reason to have a ball of a different colour is if you are playing on snow- which doesn't happen anymore!!!!

This with black dots on (well pentagons really), just so the it could be seen whilst moving in front of something white.
  • Options
    Jackson got some stick for his extremely offensive comments about the colour of the ball

15 Feb @johnnie_jackson: Didn't want to play with that girlie ball anyway.....

@95Mahoney: @johnnie_jackson you fancy paying us for the train ticket then sunshine ?

@samgrice: It's quotes like this http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/365578/Charlton-s-Johnnie-Jackson-not-a-fan-of-the-FA-Cup-ball by @johnnie_jackson that shows even mild homophobia is holding football back @stonewalluk @FA

@93rdminute: Look through Johnnie Jackson's tweets. Epitome of lad culture. No wonder he's complaining about an orange football

@cmmillar: “@footyfactorytv: #Charlton captain Johnnie Jackson believes that the ball used for FA Cup matches is "too feminine".” Idiot
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think Jacko has proven his point then that he's one of the last Generation of kids that want the traditional FA Cup to be left alone then going by those tweets.

Interesting what he says about Thuram's English and confirms his preference to punch rather than catch