Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Brussels

Going for a lads weekend away in a few weeks. Never been before. Any recommended bars, clubs or restaurants?

Also any "must do or see" would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Liege is the place to go in Belgium!
  • Options
    Not been but if you want a break from the beer, a couple of the museums here look interesting, especially if you are into cars or comics http://visitbrussels.be/bitc/BE_en/do-see/to-see/museums-visits.do
  • Options
    I love 'em!
  • Options
    Went on a day trip with work. Thought the city in general was complete pony but a lads weekend may be a different.

Heard bruge is different class.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    There is one absolutely must visit place in Brussels; The Atomium - have a look at this vid:

http://player.vimeo.com/video/73494684?title=0&byline=0&portrait=0&badge=0&color=ffffff

There's lots of nice bars and restaurants around Grand Place, but it's expensive being the main tourist trap. There's good bars elsewhere in the city, unfortunately it's been a while since I was there so I'm not in a place to recommend any in particular.

Do be careful on the metro though. As I know from experience, the pickpockets can spot the tourists with ease.
  • Options
    Randy - yep Bruges is quality...great buildings, cafe culture and interesting bars come night-time

i found brussels a little souless and dull but was only there for 24 hours

enjoy your trip!
  • Options
    Would agree about Brussels being soulless. I always head out to one of the great Belgian towns nearby: Bruges, Ghent or Leuven for example. Great bar culture all within walking distance and the hotels are cheaper.
  • Options
    Agree with the above on Brussels. Bruges is fab and Ghent was even better. Sorry i can't help on gaffs to go to there, just like any other city but must have somen hidden secrets
  • Options
    I went there for a couple of nights over New Yr actually with the boys, as a mate lives out there. We had a quality time. Food was good. Go and see Grand Place but dont eat or drink round there its very much the tourist trap piccadilly circus part of town. Most of the decent bars are round St Gery and St Catherine which are about 10-15 minute walk away from Grand Place. We jumped on a train to Gent for an afternoon which is a nice place, only half hour. As everyone else says not sure how much Brussels has to entertain in the daytime once youve seen Grand Place but its a good place for food and boozing for a couple of nights. Will speak to mate and see if I can get names of specific bars etc we went.
  • Options
    Lived in Belgium for a couple of years, Brugges is toy town - avoid, Brussels - dead boring. Antwerp is good, Leuven is rocking - reccomended
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I like Brussels and there are some great bars with fabulous beers, especially some of the old traditional bars like the Mort Subite.

If you are interested in the lambic and gueuze style beers, pay a visit to this place
    http://www.cantillon.be/br/3_2
  • Options
    Brussels is a brilliant, friendly place. Great museums, the art nouveau houses are something else. Grande Place is wonderful, but as with any tourist area expensive - get off the beaten track to eat and drink. One nice little bar I know is called Albert I. It is on the corner of Rue de Tournai and Place Rouppe, south of The Grande Place, good beer and food at a reasonable price.
  • Options

Lived in Belgium for a couple of years, Brugges is toy town - avoid, Brussels - dead boring. Antwerp is good, Leuven is rocking - reccomended

Agree, re Leuven. How many bars are around those two main squares?
  • Options
    Used to go to Brussels almost monthly, flying there on the Fokkers from City Airport. Quite liked the place, although our company is based on the outskirts, so I spent more time up there. Do miss, now that we are over here in Canada, having such diverse cities at our fingertips.
  • Options
    Is there on main drinking area / square?
  • Options
    I'm there on Thursday with my Brussels based colleagues, I'll ask them for any venues/recommendations... How old are you all? Under 25 or over? Definitely do a day trip to Bruges - 45 mins by train from Brussels...
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    20-30. Work trip.

Any info most welcome
  • Options
    I am also organising a Stag Do to Brussels at the end of this month... 11 of us in our mid to late 20s.

Thanks for the recommendations so far on here. Any more gratefully received!
  • Options
    I have Belgian relations - a good pub to go to is the Delirium bar with over 3,000 brands of beer! Very popular but pricy - check this site out for reviews: http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g188644-d570757-Reviews-Delirium-Brussels.html
  • Options
    Right in the heart of the tourist area you can find a couple of gems including this place http://www.poechenellekelder.be/ Also the nearby Mannequin Pis Tavern which is a bit quieter. Recommend the draught kriek.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    any recommendations re nightclubs?
  • Options
    We went to a bar called mappa mundo and a few round there they were decent. Went to an effing quality restaurant called 9 et voisons. Was superb food and was quite bar style so really lively atmos. Stunning barmaid as well in a tight little low cut dress just made it the icing on the cake. Cant remember the name of the clubs we went to apart from mr wong, which we went in at 4am and as such dont remember much about that either. Youll find a good time though. If youre into techno and raving place called fuse is sposed to be the big club
  • Options
    i agree with silent addick, if you go to Brussels you gotta check out delirium as its a pretty unique place and always packed out for atmosphere...to be honest i found having a wander round was the best way to find good bars there.
  • Options
    sorry for the delay in getting this, but my colleague in Brussels has just emailed me this quick guide...not sure if the links will work as have cut and pasted:

Have kept all of these around centre of town:

Delirium is a must for any tourist (over 2000 beers (world record) on offer and always a good night if a bit busy). It’s just off Grand Place the main central square (very picturesque) in centre of town. There’s an absinthe bar opposite. Enough said.

The bars around St Gery area in centre of town are a good place to warm up (Halles St Gery and Le Roi des Belges) get a good crowd and have outdoor terraces in a little square.

A pokey bar (often very busy and bar is not easy to get drinks at) that is for some reason a Brussels darling (everyone starts dancing on the tables after midnight)– Le Corbeau

Can get quite down and dirty at times in Madame Moustache a bar with space to throw some shapes

De Monk for a more relaxed vibe but also great beers and good people

For food – a good place that is not too pricey (steak 18 euros and good Belgian beers to go with it) and is ‘Belgian’ and would accommodate a group of guys is Fin de Siecle and its sister restaurant (same menu I think) 9 et voisins. I’d reserve wherever they choose to eat.

Alternatively check out the burgers (massive) at Houtsiplou

For a “club” in the Brussels meaning – Mister Wong .

Irish pub. It gets messy. Avoid this place. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.

Gare du Nord. The red light district. Just saying.