Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Eusebio has died

Amazing player.

RIP

Comments

• Options
    Can't see it on any of the sports websites, including Sky & BBC, but wiki has been updated to say he passed today. Sad loss if it is the case. From the footage I've seen over the years, a simply wonderful footballer.
  • Options
    Just on BBC Tel pal.

RIP Legendary player
  • Options
    Yes, a legend RIP.
  • Options
    The word legend is banded about to often these days, but he was a true legend. RIP you great man.
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

Just on BBC Tel pal.

RIP Legendary player

Just seen it now Rob. Been watching a couple of You Tube videos of him in the last few minutes. Simply wonderful...Rest in Peace Eusébio.
  • Options
    Amazing player and a true gentleman. If I remember rightly, when Man Utd played Benfica Stepney made a game winning save from Eusebio. Eusebio's response was to offer him his hand in acknowledgement. Up there with Pele and Best.
  • Options
    Sadly a little before my time so never had the pleasure of watching the great man play live but everything I've seen and heard since puts him up there in the top three players ever. To come from such humble beginnings to reach the top of the game in that era too is a measure of the man.

RIP.
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    One of my first football heroes. Great player and one of the best. RIP.
  • Options
    World cup 66 golden boot,4 goals in quarter final,first player to score against Banks and England in 66.
    The European Cup Final 68 against Manchester Utd.
    When football was really GREAT this man was the GREATEST OF ALL FOOTBALLERS.
    RIP.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2014
    RIP - The Black Pearl.

His birthday today too.

Great man, great footballer.
  • Options
    My dear old dad took me to see the 1963 European Cup Final at Wembley, played on a Wednesday afternoon. Eusebio opened the scoring for Benfica before Inter went on to win 2-1.

Although that's now a very distant memory I can still just remember him. A few years later he attained legendary status with his exploits in the 1966 World Cup.

Great footballer, great man. R.I.P.
  • Options
    The kop remembers
  • Options
    Another of the greats gone from this world (Sadly before my time too) and at 71 not old old by a long way - Will be missed
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    733 goals in 745 professional matches is incredible. RIP
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    He was good at football. FACT.
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    Remember him in tears when Portugal got knocked out by England, a picture made even more vivid from the free Evening Standard colour poster I had on my bedroom wall after the WC ended.

Fantastic player. RIP.
  • Options
    One thing about Eusebio is that he was never in those lists of "who's the best player ever?" But everyone you speak to who saw him play talks about him as being right up there with the very best.
    Quite rightly a much loved figure in Portugal and he's fondly remembered by football fans the world over.

A great loss.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I used to pretend to be him as a kid kicking the ball against the garage doors, after he had signed for my Club Forest Hill Rangers!! A gent and a legend!
  • Options
    Now he was one of the greatest players in the world....RIP.
  • Options
    One of the greatest. The four goals in the 66 World Cup QF at Goodison against N.Korea, dragging his team back from 0-3 down, was a stand-out performance. A volley against Pele's Brazil in an earlier group match was also special.
    Two great goals against Real Madrid in a European Cup Final in the early sixties was just before my time.

I'd consider Pele and Maradona at the top of the pyramid, with Cruyff, Beckenbauer & Best just in behind. Eusebio is in the next group with Puskas, Di Stefano, & Garrincha. Then we can talk about, Zidane, Platini, Ronaldo, Zico, Moore, Van Basten, etc.
    Messi & C. Ronaldo need a good world cup, and possibly go close to winning it, before they can be included in the top echelons, but they have every chance in Brazil. ( C.Ronaldo's recent performance in Sweden was equal to any of Eusebio's)

The word legend is over used, but not in this case. Football lost one today.
  • Options
    R I P
  • Options
    Despite Geoff Hurst scoring his hat-trick and England winning it Eusebio was the dominant figure of the 1966 World Cup completely overshadowing Pele who was widely regarded as the best player in the world at the time.

A true legend of the game.

RIP
  • Options
    Portugal have announced 3 days of mourning for the great man.

A very good obituary here http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jan/05/eusebio
  • Options
    A true great. RIP
  • Options
    Fantastic player and a true gent. RIP.
  • Options
    ahhh that's sad ... great memories of 1966
  • Options

World cup 66 golden boot,4 goals in quarter final,first player to score against Banks and England in 66.
    The European Cup Final 68 against Manchester Utd.
    When football was really GREAT this man was the GREATEST OF ALL FOOTBALLERS.
    RIP.

This. RIP great man