Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Flood / Storm impact

Not just the Valley pitch that has suffered.

Just reading the below about Eltham, and also saw some flooding pics at the weekend at Woolwich and Maryon Wilson park. Anyone here been flooded / impacted from all this shite weather ?

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/10912241.PICTURED__Devastating_Eltham_floods_tear_through_around_23_homes_with_families_forced_to_move/?ref=mr

Comments

• Options
    It took the main stand at Folkestone Invicta apart and they are having to completely get rid of it !

Also meant cancellation of the last two home fixtures, and still doesnt look hopeful. No home games = players not paid. Not that they get paid that much but still.. #impact
  • Options
    Haven't we got the dome on the pitch now
  • Options
    imageimage

Just down the road, this was our friends house. Our roof was repaired then blew off again, oh what fun we're all having.
  • Options
    Which area is this, Anni ?
  • Options
    The Woolwich flooding wasn't really flooding, when the barrier shuts, the lower river path is designed to flood, there wasn't a risk the actual flood defenses where going to be overtopped
  • Options
    Eynsford on 2nd Jan...

• Options

Greenhithe yesterday
  • Options
    Great pics Rothko.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Eynsford on 2nd Jan...

Did you ride through? :)
  • Options
    This is the main street outside my flat.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A big area of hall place Bourne road is under water
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    A colleague at a client lives in Yalding, Kent.

He was evacuated from his house and stayed elsewhere. However he decided to return after a day or two away but can only live upstairs as the downstairs is uninhabitable because of flooding.

Yalding is essentially the "sacrificial lamb" for Tonbridge as the flood barrier at Leigh means that Yalding cops it as 3 rivers converge there.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Fanny the photos are at Faversham creek. The police offered to evacuate us but it was 23 hours after the flood. A tad late! Gawd knows what will happen after the big cuts planned for the Environment Agency, they couldn't cope this time around. I didn't know that you have to make your own sandbags these days, local councils don't provide them anymore.
  • Options
    I lived in Yalding for six years (house never at risk from flooding) and we have some close friends there.

Biggest heartbreaking tale is the owner of the Yalding Cafe and bungalow in front of the trailer park. They were flooded out six years ago and it took 18 months to get everything back to normal. After another near miss four years ago, they decided to sell up.

Nobody wants the house or business because of the flood risk and they decided the only way to move on was to sell at auction and cut their losses. The auction was due this week.

They've lost virtually everything - again- and I feel so sorry for them. What a way to start a new year!

The flood waters were so high over christmas that the loft conversion was under water - the photo below is this week and the bungalow is at the bottom of the picture and cafe to it's right.

• Options
    Rothko said:

Greenhithe yesterday

Blimey! I have lived on Ingress Park for over 3 years now and never seen the river that high before! Good picture.
  • Options
    Rothko said:

Greenhithe yesterday

Was the Pier pub flooded?
  • Options

Did you ride through? :)

Did weheck lol. Once we'd picked our jaws up off the floor, we turned around and headed back up towards Crockenhill.
  • Options
    Is that by The Plough JohnBoy?
  • Options
    Yep, right by The Plough.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Yep, right by The Plough.

When we were kids (and lived in Greenhithe) we used to go on bike rides down to Eynsford, always rode through the ford, it was never like that though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great pub. Hopefully it didnt get affected by the flooding. Crazy to see the water so high
  • Options

Fanny the photos are at Faversham creek. The police offered to evacuate us but it was 23 hours after the flood. A tad late! Gawd knows what will happen after the big cuts planned for the Environment Agency, they couldn't cope this time around. I didn't know that you have to make your own sandbags these days, local councils don't provide them anymore.

I thought I recognised it, the council is a joke a friend of mine called swale and asked about sandbags for their elderly relative as they were in the part of Teynam prone to flooding and was told go and buy your own! Rude!
  • Options
    It looks like the Newshopper advertising team made the most of this page by placing an advert on Showers ;o)
  • Options
    I have to cross the River Wey three times to get to my office. Road was closed but river has dropped from its heighest so followed a bus over the river at Elstead this morning to avoid a 6 mile detour.image
  • Options

I thought I recognised it, the council is a joke a friend of mine called swale and asked about sandbags for their elderly relative as they were in the part of Teynam prone to flooding and was told go and buy your own! Rude!
    It's not just Swale though. The Environment Agency doesn't provide them anymore and most councils have decided to drop fee sandbags as well. No-one thought to ask how the elderly, sick or disabled might fare.

• Options
    Just had rain come down so hard it felt like I was in a car wash......
  • Options

It's not just Swale though. The Environment Agency doesn't provide them anymore and most councils have decided to drop fee sandbags as well. No-one thought to ask how the elderly, sick or disabled might fare.

I know, it's a bloody joke! I can see the headlines now "HOUSE BOUND WOMAN LEFT FOR DEAD IN INEVITABLE FLOOD" An 85year old woman has been found dead in her bungalow after a flood, medics believe hypothermia kicked in when her home was engulfed leaving her knee deep, in cold dirty water. Although residents were warned of the coming storm and flood warnings at the highest level were in place, Wendy Waterman 85, had nobody to call on so had to take her chances, next door neighbour Truly Luck 43, says "we used to be given sandbags by the local authority to minimise flood damage and if we still got them she may have been spared, we did ask for some and were told to buy or even make them ourselves, I feel terrible that nobody thought of our dear neighbour who hasn't left the house in years." Local council representative, Ian Carefree says "We regret what happened to Mrs Waterman and are truly sorry, however, government cut backs have made it impossible for us to fund thousands of sand bags for our residents, we ask that everyone looks out for elderly neighbours and relatives during these difficult weather conditions."
  • Options
    edited January 2014
  • Options

Can we not turn this into a complaint about local authorities or the EA please. Colleagues of mine are currently putting in 15 hour plus days helping look after people, keeping people safe, keeping the roads open and generally trying to deal with some seriously difficult and challenging conditions. That includes colleagues who evacuated residents of a park home site near me at 03:00 on Christmas morning and spent their whole day looking after dozens of elderly and distressed people.

Yeah it won't be perfect everywhere and yes, councils don't have "free" sandbags to give out to everyone who wants one (whether they need it or not). Every public sector service has been hit hard by this government, local authorities the hardest, so it's not surprising tough decisions have to be made about where it prioritises its reduced resources. Inevitably this won't be in areas like emergency planning, improving/maintaining drainage, heavy equipment, flood defences or their planning dept as these don't win you any votes.

Shutting a day centre to pay for some extra flood defences or sandbags in the example given certainly will lose you a few though.

Rather than moan about the response of our public sector agencies we should actually be bloody amazed that it functions as well as it does in the circumstances and make the most of it because I guarantee if this happens again in five years time, with the current rate of cuts, you will see far greater disruption, damage and unfortunately loss of lives.

Sorry for the lengthy post btw but I'm on the train and bored...

I think you misunderstood my post, It wasn't meant as a dig, sort of bad taste humour, didnt mean to offend anyone. You are quite right many (not all) council workers are doing an amazing job trying to keep damage to a minimum and keep people safe, as are the emergency services. I do think more should be done, not just from the council, but from members of the public to protect the elderly and disabled people that live alone and can't help themselves, otherwise there could be more fatalities.